Crispi boots fail

I love my Crispi Guides that I bought for cheap as a 1 time worn used boot that didn’t fit the guy. I mostly only wear them when elk or muley hunting though. Have put a lot of miles on them.

Russell touts their all leather triple vamped blah blah blah waterproof without a lining. I’ve got custom fit South 40s. They definitely fit perfect. And it’s always nice to step into 3” of water and have soaking wet feet all day after. And they’ve doubled in price in last year or so. Customs are over $1100 if I remember right now. And they screwed my order up and put the wrong sole on from the order.

Danner has USA made heavy duty boots. And Chinese made cheaper boots. Pronghorns have always been comfortable to me, but never held up (Chinese). But some heavy duty ones I have that are USA made, have held up great.

Lowa always has a great name. The pair I bought the speed lace eyelet pulled out the first time I put them on. They gave me an RA number to send back. On my dime. Was going to cost $29 USPS to send back. I called them out on a brand new pair of boots was going to cost me $29 to send back. They got crappy with me and said I should take it up with the vendor, that I didn’t buy from them. So screw LOWA and they failure of boots on day one. (Whew, I feel better now)

I wear Thorogood moc toe work boots daily. Love them. If I didn’t have all the boots above, I’d try their flyaway waterproof moc toe bird boot.

Last edited:
I bought my first pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400 insulated in 2014, 2 years later purchased same in uninsulated, resoled the UI 3 years ago. I avg 45-60 days in the field a year between upland and field hunting waterfowl. In my opinion there's no better boot, Danner Pronghorns would last me 2 seasons at the most. I told my wife when I die to bury/cremete me with my Kenetreks on. Only complaint I have is you gotta be really careful on ice, hard soles , I've taken some pretty good falls. The other brand that looks pretty good is Dedito, but no experience with them.

Do they sell these in retail stores? I need to try boots on. Online purchase is an absolute no go for this guy.
They do not. They will custom make them for you. They have an app for doing the sizing, you can have someone help you with actual paper measurements or do like i did - I went to the factory and the owner measured my feet.

Man, this thread is depressing!

I may be in the market for a new pair of hunting boots before next season. While I never really considered Crispi because of the price, I can go ahead and cross them off. Maybe I should cross off Danners too.

My current set are Rocky Cornstalkers, I've had them for 6 years now but they are showing signs of wear now. I use mine for pheasant, deer, and turkey hunting so they need to be an all-purpose boot.

Anyone here use Irish Setters? I need something that has about 400 or 500 grams of insulation and that's also waterproof.
If you treat them right and keep conditioned the CRISPI's can take a beating. I used to get maybe a month out of Danner's and other boots. I'm on my second pair of crispi's right now, and the first pair lasted 2.5 years (~120 pheasant outings, turkey hunting, deer hunting) and am going on year 3 with my second pair. They are the best boots I have found yet. I am guessing maybe OP got a bad pair. Have relatives and friends with similar experiences to me with Crispi.

I’ve got a pair of Irish Setter 808 Wingshooters that were made in 2009 and are still waterproof and comfortable. I wear them in the fall when it’s dry out but stop when it’s muddy or slick since they have those slick soles. I’d hate to guess how many miles but I take care of them and I treat all of my boots every year. I also use the USA made Danners, the Grouse and Hood Winter and I have a pair of USMC Rat Danners that I like. I never wear the same pair two days in a row, that allows them to dry out from sweat and it seems to help my feet with the change in boots. If I’m home they go on the boot drier.
I tried a pair of Meindl Lightweight Hunters but they were junk, very uncomfortable and leaked the first time I wore them. They also wanted me to pay for shipping to return them so screw them, I’ll never buy another pair of Meindl boots.

I bought a pair of Danners yesterday. They had both Irish Setters and Danners in my size. The associate said Danner might be a little better. Will see how this goes. I will be satisfied if they hold up for 5 full seasons like the Rockies.

I’m sure the OP just got unlucky with a bad pair. As many others have said I have 2 pairs of Nevada GTX’s (one insulated, one non-insulated) that have logged hundreds of miles and seasons upland hunting, elk hunting, deer hunting etc. Both are still in great shape. At this rate the soles show more wear than the uppers by a long shot. I am anxious to hear how Crispi handles it though. Please post an update if you do contact them.

Last edited:
For those of you with Danner boots, do you change out the laces? The laces that came with mine seem kind of cheap. They are thin and the "round" style that tend to come undone easily.

Get the strongest laces you can and carry extras in your gunning box. Handy to have if needed. Lots of good choices out there.

For those of you with Danner boots, do you change out the laces? The laces that came with mine seem kind of cheap. They are thin and the "round" style that tend to come undone easily.
I saw boot laces for sale the other day that have fire starter built into them. I'm not sure how you walk in your boots once you burn your laces but I've never been creative.

Back