Insulated SS vs covered plastic dog kennel temperature comparison? Warmer...Cooler?

Mosby

As the hunting season is winding down, I like to revisit my equipment choices and replace or upgrade where needed while everything is still fresh on my mind. Now that I am retired, I am traveling and hunting with the dogs more and staying longer and I am considering upgrading to a SS and insulated 2 hole dog kennel. I am going to need to leave them in the truck overnight more often going forward and I want to make sure they are as comfortable as possible....hot or freezing cold.

My current plastic kennels have insulated covers on them(in winter) and I throw a blanket over the top in colder weather but I honestly have no clue how they compare to the expensive and insulated SS dog kennels. Is the SS kennel warmer and better in single digit temps than what I have with a cover? What about hot days in the fall?

I have been looking in the back of pick up's this year and I've seen everything from custom kennels to home made wood boxes. Any thing is good enough for a night or two I guess and my dogs haven't died yet but I want something that works for a wet dog to crawl into and be comfortable quickly. I have a small GSP and I'm not sure my current arrangement would be warm enough on a really cold night for her, so I bring them into my motel room when it's freezing and my young Vizsla keeps me up half the night woofing every time someone walks by or slams a door. A couple nights of that and I'm ready to spend some money and get better equipment, so I'm not worrying about the dogs shivering in the back of the truck on a cold night.

Has anyone done a comparison of kennels or seen the benefits of upgrading to insulated kennels for warm days or really cold weather nights? Thanks.

Last edited:
Not comparison but we use a 3 hole insulated box with a storage compartment on top. Side vents for the two outside compartment and a front vent for the middle one. Have rubber mats on the floor 3/4” thick. Doors have two different slides so have three options for how open it is. Use straw then for bedding. We put a remote temp sensor in one compartment that we can check on our phone while driving or while inside where we are staying. Check it frequently to get our bearings then just to make sure warm enough. Dogs have been in there well below zero and no issues at all. Amazing how much heat they put off. Straw really dries them out quick also and we will use a towel if needed before going in box. Good luck.

We put a remote temp sensor in one compartment that we can check on our phone while driving or while inside where we are staying.
I like that idea a lot. I have a temp sensor in the back of the truck bed but not inside their kennels. I was planning on switching from pads/blankets over to straw next year also because I think it is warmer. Who made your box? Thanks.

I like that idea a lot. I have a temp sensor in the back of the truck bed but not inside their kennels. I was planning on switching from pads/blankets over to straw next year also because I think it is warmer. Who made your box? Thanks.
Small hook in the ceiling and we hang the sensor from that. Works good. Mine is an Upland brand that I don’t believe is in business any longer. Heavy SOB for sure. Here is a side picture of it.
IMG_9074.png

Last edited:
I have a 2 hole SS and aluminum insulated box(3" on top 1.5" on the sides)(I think). The dogs are very comfortable into the single digits, and on the hot days too, if the fans are running. Get a Sensor Push remote temp sensor and put it in with the dog that doesn't chew. They are great for piece of mind. I used vari kennels with mud river covers for years and they did a good job, but nothing like a Ainly or Deerskin box.

I have a DeerCreek Houndsman Deluxe that I’ve had close to 20 years. It goes in the truck the first of September and doesn’t come out until the end of January. It’s a two hole with top storage and I’ve carried 3 smaller dogs on each side for short jaunts and two dogs consistently. It has 1” of styrofoam insulation sandwiched between the outside and the inner wooden liner and I use prairie hay in the box instead of wood chips or straw because it smells better and doesn’t break down like straw. I’ve put two cold wet dogs on one side and 20 minutes later they are warm and toasty with steam coming out the vent on really cold days. I had an Owen’s two hole box but it only had 1/4” of corrugated plastic insulation and it was really cold when it got down to 20* so I traded it for the one I have now.
My dogs ride in the front most of the time but it’s nice to have somewhere to put them if they get skunked or are soaking wet or I have someone with me.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpeg
    IMG_0329.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
It seems like Ainley, DeerCreek, Jackson Creek, Owens and Mountaintop are the primary companies that make metal boxes....at least that's what I have found. I have to take some measurements, write down some questions and then I am going to contact a few of them next week.

My research shows that DeerCreek is out of business unfortunately. They made great dog boxes.

The next thing that might potentially narrow things is manufacturers lead times. I haven’t looked for a few years but some of those places have a 6 to 12 month lead time.

The next thing that might potentially narrow things is manufacturers lead times. I haven’t looked for a few years but some of those places have a 6 to 12 month lead time.
I'm expecting several months to a year or more lead time and I can live with that.

Take a look at this guy, he quoted me $850 for a two hole diamond plated top storage box last fall. I have no affiliation and haven't checked shipping costs from Ohio to Nebraska but am going to look at that later this spring for next year.
Regal Boxes

As the hunting season is winding down, I like to revisit my equipment choices and replace or upgrade where needed while everything is still fresh on my mind. Now that I am retired, I am traveling and hunting with the dogs more and staying longer and I am considering upgrading to a SS and insulated 2 hole dog kennel. I am going to need to leave them in the truck overnight more often going forward and I want to make sure they are as comfortable as possible....hot or freezing cold.

My current plastic kennels have insulated covers on them(in winter) and I throw a blanket over the top in colder weather but I honestly have no clue how they compare to the expensive and insulated SS dog kennels. Is the SS kennel warmer and better in single digit temps than what I have with a cover? What about hot days in the fall?

I have been looking in the back of pick up's this year and I've seen everything from custom kennels to home made wood boxes. Any thing is good enough for a night or two I guess and my dogs haven't died yet but I want something that works for a wet dog to crawl into and be comfortable quickly. I have a small GSP and I'm not sure my current arrangement would be warm enough on a really cold night for her, so I bring them into my motel room when it's freezing and my young Vizsla keeps me up half the night woofing every time someone walks by or slams a door. A couple nights of that and I'm ready to spend some money and get better equipment, so I'm not worrying about the dogs shivering in the back of the truck on a cold night.

Has anyone done a comparison of kennels or seen the benefits of upgrading to insulated kennels for warm days or really cold weather nights? Thanks.
My V does the same thing but if I leave the room and him in it, he does not bark. PS. They love being under the covers with nose peeking out for cooler air

My V does the same thing but if I leave the room and him in it, he does not bark. PS. They love being under the covers with nose peeking out for cooler air
I wish. I can hear him when I'm outside. He's my third Vizsla but first male. I have a Garmin 550 e collar that has an anti bark feature and I put that on him in the room but it didn't add much value. He isn't as loud with it on but he still barks and was loud enough to still wake me up.

I lost a female a few years ago that loved sleeping under covers. This one takes up half the bed doing his own thing.

Attachments

• 20240107_210925.jpeg
    20240107_210925.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
Back