Look I really need help on this one

You guys have convinced me, not that it took much. I here solemnly swear, that I, internet alias Bob Peters, will be pheasant hunting, which will consist of walking ground, or driving to scout or walk new ground, all day both Friday and Saturday. I reserve Sunday, the Lord's day, to be up to the discretion of me second and the Lord first. If I or the Lord shall choose (in order of rank) that it be a day of rest, then so shall it be. Hawkeye state here we come! As an addendum to this contract, the only clause for reneging on Iowa here on out, is that I decide to cough up the banknotes to pay the coffers of SD, and decide to spend the here fore mentioned days walking in the land of my paternal grandmother, South Dakota. Either way, the two loves of my life, Skye and Roxy, I now promise to park the truck in the best locations I see fit, and set their paws on the ground in the best land my earthly soul can find, for the hunting of wild ringnecks. Whatever may result of these actions, I promise to report, to the best of my ability, the events that follow. But, be forewarned, do not set your hopes high upon these words, as I am but a humble hunter, and often left wanting when it comes to finding wild birds on hard traveled public ground. Either way there is some ray of hope, as no matter how many hunters have passed before, there are always a few wizened birds still left on said ground. Should I find success in downing one such bird, the whole trip will have been a success. And for me at least, the victory is in the doing. I apologize in advance here for this possible overdramatization, but hope that if anyone can understand all that goes into this most beautiful pursuit of wild pheasants, it is the members of the Ultimate Pheasant Hunting community. I now take my leave, to go and plan my pursuits, of which spots to hit where and when. And regardless of the outcome, knowing that I have put everything I have of myself into the hunting of these noble but dastardly birds, that as long as I give hard pursuit, and care for the bird dogs well, that all is not in vain. I keep a pheasant journal and just checked, I dallied in pheasant hunting in 2017 without a dog, and in 2018 one weekend trip with a buddy and his brother's dog. My first year really hunting with Skye was 2019, so I guess I've been hitting it hard for five years. All I can think of is what I was missing and how pheasant hunting isn't a bigger deal in this day and age. I'm 43 and can't believe how many buddies I have that don't pheasant hunt on a regular basis. The good news is that a lot of my friends are getting more into it. One just recently bought a bird dog, and that is great. I'm rambling on here, but I guess what's going through my mind is that every day I've ever spent in the field with a good dog is one that I'll never forget and I'll always cherish. To you guys here that bring buddies out with you, or introduce them to upland hunting, that is the best thing that you can do. Bring a new buddy, young or old, out into the hunting ground. Show them how a good bird dog works. I know I was totally blown away the first time I saw a real dog work. It was my buddy's old dog Brandy, a brittany spaniel, and how much she loved hunting and how hard she worked, she would have ran until she died, I'll never forget that, she had no bottom. Coming out of the field bloodied and worn, she would not leave. I'll never forget you Brandy. Anyways, Brittany Spaniel, GSP, Lab, Golden retriever, Springer Spaniel, others not mentioned, I love them all. There's nothing worse in the world in my eyes anyhow, than a birddog not allowed to pursue what he or she was meant to do. I know that at times there are arguments on this site about chokes, loads, dogs, regulations, and all the rest. I just want to say right now, I am grateful about all the information I have gained here, I think we are all on this site for the same reasons, to learn more about hunting, conditions, and our dogs. I thank you for all the tips, encouragement, and shared stories about your hunting dogs. At this point I feel I could go on and on, as dogs, hunting and all it entails are always foremost on my mind. I can't end a post like this without a couple pics. Here I am with my first pheasant ever. Thank you Brandy for pointing this bird, may you rest in peace, I will never forget you. And Skye, thank you for taking me hunting. Here I thought I was taking you, and teaching you. But in my shortsightedness I now realize that you were the one taking me hunting, and that I was not teaching you, but rather the wild birds were teaching you, and in turn you were teaching me. I apologize for being a slow learner, because indeed I am. How grateful I am to learn from a dyed in the wool bird dog I can never say. World-class first-class field trialers may look at my hunting and scoff, and I understand, but to me that is water off a ducks back. I'll never be William Q. Pressed pants, shooting birds off a perfect point with a dog that brings birds back "to hand" perfectly. To me that doesn't matter much. Skye and Roxy aren't perfect, but my love for them is. They hunt as hard as they can, and do what they can to put birds up in front of me. I do love pheasant hunting and my four-legged hunting companions in an ineffable way, and I guess that's what matters most. Everyone that's read this far already knows this, but simply take your dog out hunting every chance you can. Even if you're a bad shot, a poor dog handler, or a poor hunter, you haven't made all the mistakes that I have. Regardless of all this, your dog will not be mad at you for taking him out in the field and allowing him or her to teach you how to do it. The dogs love it so much, you owe it to them to go afield, and regardless of the results, let them do what they do best. I've made so many poor decisions I couldn't possibly list them all here, but taking these wonderful dogs afield has never been one of them. Read, educate yourself, and put your dogs in good situations with wild birds and I guarantee you will all be better for it. Anyways, I wish all of you great hunting in the future, this is a great site with great members. If you're hunting still this season I wish you the best of luck. And if you're done for the year, please give your dog a scratch on the ear and an atta boy/girl for me. I'll be hunting soon, and even if on public ground with educated birds, I know the dogs won't regret one second of it. If all I do is fulfill their wish then I know I've been successful.

pics are Brandy and Skye with my first ever rooster, shot on public ground, and Roxy in the foreground and Skye in the back, after a long day of hunting. I love all bird dogs.

Attachments

• IMG_2094.jpg
    IMG_2094.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 41
  • 333.jpg
    333.jpg
    420.7 KB · Views: 39
You guys have convinced me, not that it took much. I here solemnly swear, that I, internet alias Bob Peters, will be pheasant hunting, which will consist of walking ground, or driving to scout or walk new ground, all day both Friday and Saturday. I reserve Sunday, the Lord's day, to be up to the discretion of me second and the Lord first. If I or the Lord shall choose (in order of rank) that it be a day of rest, then so shall it be. Hawkeye state here we come! As an addendum to this contract, the only clause for reneging on Iowa here on out, is that I decide to cough up the banknotes to pay the coffers of SD, and decide to spend the here fore mentioned days walking in the land of my paternal grandmother, South Dakota. Either way, the two loves of my life, Skye and Roxy, I now promise to park the truck in the best locations I see fit, and set their paws on the ground in the best land my earthly soul can find, for the hunting of wild ringnecks. Whatever may result of these actions, I promise to report, to the best of my ability, the events that follow. But, be forewarned, do not set your hopes high upon these words, as I am but a humble hunter, and often left wanting when it comes to finding wild birds on hard traveled public ground. Either way there is some ray of hope, as no matter how many hunters have passed before, there are always a few wizened birds still left on said ground. Should I find success in downing one such bird, the whole trip will have been a success. And for me at least, the victory is in the doing. I apologize in advance here for this possible overdramatization, but hope that if anyone can understand all that goes into this most beautiful pursuit of wild pheasants, it is the members of the Ultimate Pheasant Hunting community. I now take my leave, to go and plan my pursuits, of which spots to hit where and when. And regardless of the outcome, knowing that I have put everything I have of myself into the hunting of these noble but dastardly birds, that as long as I give hard pursuit, and care for the bird dogs well, that all is not in vain. I keep a pheasant journal and just checked, I dallied in pheasant hunting in 2017 without a dog, and in 2018 one weekend trip with a buddy and his brother's dog. My first year really hunting with Skye was 2019, so I guess I've been hitting it hard for five years. All I can think of is what I was missing and how pheasant hunting isn't a bigger deal in this day and age. I'm 43 and can't believe how many buddies I have that don't pheasant hunt on a regular basis. The good news is that a lot of my friends are getting more into it. One just recently bought a bird dog, and that is great. I'm rambling on here, but I guess what's going through my mind is that every day I've ever spent in the field with a good dog is one that I'll never forget and I'll always cherish. To you guys here that bring buddies out with you, or introduce them to upland hunting, that is the best thing that you can do. Bring a new buddy, young or old, out into the hunting ground. Show them how a good bird dog works. I know I was totally blown away the first time I saw a real dog work. It was my buddy's old dog Brandy, a brittany spaniel, and how much she loved hunting and how hard she worked, she would have ran until she died, I'll never forget that, she had no bottom. Coming out of the field bloodied and worn, she would not leave. I'll never forget you Brandy. Anyways, Brittany Spaniel, GSP, Lab, Golden retriever, Springer Spaniel, others not mentioned, I love them all. There's nothing worse in the world in my eyes anyhow, than a birddog not allowed to pursue what he or she was meant to do. I know that at times there are arguments on this site about chokes, loads, dogs, regulations, and all the rest. I just want to say right now, I am grateful about all the information I have gained here, I think we are all on this site for the same reasons, to learn more about hunting, conditions, and our dogs. I thank you for all the tips, encouragement, and shared stories about your hunting dogs. At this point I feel I could go on and on, as dogs, hunting and all it entails are always foremost on my mind. I can't end a post like this without a couple pics. Here I am with my first pheasant ever. Thank you Brandy for pointing this bird, may you rest in peace, I will never forget you. And Skye, thank you for taking me hunting. Here I thought I was taking you, and teaching you. But in my shortsightedness I now realize that you were the one taking me hunting, and that I was not teaching you, but rather the wild birds were teaching you, and in turn you were teaching me. I apologize for being a slow learner, because indeed I am. How grateful I am to learn from a dyed in the wool bird dog I can never say. World-class first-class field trialers may look at my hunting and scoff, and I understand, but to me that is water off a ducks back. I'll never be William Q. Pressed pants, shooting birds off a perfect point with a dog that brings birds back "to hand" perfectly. To me that doesn't matter much. Skye and Roxy aren't perfect, but my love for them is. They hunt as hard as they can, and do what they can to put birds up in front of me. I do love pheasant hunting and my four-legged hunting companions in an ineffable way, and I guess that's what matters most. Everyone that's read this far already knows this, but simply take your dog out hunting every chance you can. Even if you're a bad shot, a poor dog handler, or a poor hunter, you haven't made all the mistakes that I have. Regardless of all this, your dog will not be mad at you for taking him out in the field and allowing him or her to teach you how to do it. The dogs love it so much, you owe it to them to go afield, and regardless of the results, let them do what they do best. I've made so many poor decisions I couldn't possibly list them all here, but taking these wonderful dogs afield has never been one of them. Read, educate yourself, and put your dogs in good situations with wild birds and I guarantee you will all be better for it. Anyways, I wish all of you great hunting in the future, this is a great site with great members. If you're hunting still this season I wish you the best of luck. And if you're done for the year, please give your dog a scratch on the ear and an atta boy/girl for me. I'll be hunting soon, and even if on public ground with educated birds, I know the dogs won't regret one second of it. If all I do is fulfill their wish then I know I've been successful.

pics are Brandy and Skye with my first ever rooster, shot on public ground, and Roxy in the foreground and Skye in the back, after a long day of hunting. I love all bird dogs.
Just being out there is good enough for me.My dogs love it, and so do I.

Forget bird hunting now Bob. Just go ice fishing. Its January, people should be driving trucks out there soon. LOL

It's the possibilities that keep us going. A solid point, an otherwise shootable flush that happens to be a hen, a couple birds busting out of range, etc., just a little is all I need to keep the possibilities alive. But there has to be something.
Very true.

I didn't read everything will wait for the movie or book on tape... ;) My .02 is get in the field and try to hunt the cover in a non-typical way from what it looks like it has been hunted. I think this time of year the birds are used to the hunters always starting at point A headed towards B and so on. Enjoy the hunt!

Whoa. No way I can read all that Bob.

Someone have the Cliff Notes for this :unsure:
Yeah, I needed to have my editor trim that down to an abridged version. The just of it is that I'll be hunting the next two days in iowa and give it hell. Then I started waxing on about dogs past and present.

Gim, no way I'd go ice fishing, how dare you!

I didn't read everything will wait for the movie or book on tape... ;) My .02 is get in the field and try to hunt the cover in a non-typical way from what it looks like it has been hunted. I think this time of year the birds are used to the hunters always starting at point A headed towards B and so on. Enjoy the hunt!
The other day I hunted this public place.I went at it from totally the opposite direction from what I usually do.I saw some birds, but they were very spooky.I didn't shoot.Those are days when having 3 people really helps!!!

I love the strategy of pheasant hunting public land. Does it look good enough from the road that someone else would hunt it? Did they hunt it this morning? I wonder if they hit that spot way back in the back that you can barely see if you look real hard? Boy it looks good , let’s hit it. This spot by the road looks ok too, should I hit on the way out , or coming back?

Hey Ish, when I said you, guys need to write a book I didn't mean, start here:LOL:. Just kidding, it was a good read. All I can say is, you got it and you got it bad!! There's only one cure... HUNT

I love the strategy of pheasant hunting public land. Does it look good enough from the road that someone else would hunt it? Did they hunt it this morning? I wonder if they hit that spot way back in the back that you can barely see if you look real hard? Boy it looks good , let’s hit it. This spot by the road looks ok too, should I hit on the way out , or coming back?
That's the thing. You just don't know how much it's been hunted. If it's on a paved road, you assume it's been hunted real hard all season...

Back