When asking for health clearances?

Rogue Hunter

When looking for a new pup and interested in health clearances, what form do they take? Will the breeder have "official" paperwork from a doctor or institution, or can a person verify these things on the internet, etc? Also, can breeding of parents be researched on-line? thanks.

I have several requirements when I'm looking seriously at a new pup or dog. One of those is health clearances. If the breeder/owner can't or won't produce them, it's a hard pass...

K-9 data is a great place for info on Goldens. There is a whole range of genetic issues out there and properly posting the clearances and carriers of some recessive genes are a great help with determining the clearance of a pup.

Hunting lab pedigree is a great resource for labradors. I attached a link to one of my dogs. But either way the breeder should be able to provide the documentation

Any reputable breeder will guarantee a pup's health in writing for 24 - 26 months...

Last edited:
Interesting input on clearances. Now how about health guarantees?? Say for a pup who costs over $1,000. And I'm just talking about things that might be transmitted genetically. 1 year guarantee? 3 year? Lifetime?
Most health guarantees are for 26 months as hips cannot be tested until 24 months. As for genetically passed issues most should be eliminated by genetic testing. IE EIC, CNM, Echo etc. Some may argue that cancer, and ACL injuries have a genetic component but they typically happen after you’ve grown to attached.

Most health guarantees are for 26 months as hips cannot be tested until 24 months. As for genetically passed issues most should be eliminated by genetic testing. IE EIC, CNM, Echo etc. Some may argue that cancer, and ACL injuries have a genetic component but they typically happen after you’ve grown to attached.
Astute observation, it can be tough to take your pup back if it develops a health issue within those 26 months. I took western horsemanship riding lessons in my early double digit years and this reminds me of one of the things I was taught I've never forgotten. I learned it's great to love your horse but never to fall in love with it, or you won't sell or trade it when you should. Of course, with both horses & gun dogs, that's easier said than done...

I have a buddy whose lab pup developed Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC) so bad it couldn't do a couple retrieves in the backyard without going down. It was a serious health issue and was well within the guarantee period. I urged him to return the pup (typically you get another pup from an upcoming litter) but he didn't have the heart to do it, not knowing it's fate if he did. He ended up buying a new pup from another breeder and giving the first pup to a good home as a companion dog...

Thanks guys. Are these test ever done on pups in the first 8 weeks? Or usually just on potential parents?

Some genetic testing can be done through the dewclaws that are removed at a couple days old. Genetic tests through cheek swabs can be done at any age to test for genetically isolated marker tests such as CNM, EIC, PRA, DM, RD/OSD, etc. These tests can be done through a genetic testing lab like Paw Print Genetics. Buyers should also educate themselves on clear, carrier, and affected status, specifically what that would mean for their intended use for the dog.

Hips and elbows abnormalities are not able to be identified by genetic testing. The mode of inheritance is not identified like the above mentioned conditions. One can breed an excellent ofa rating to another excellent and end up with a dysplastic puppy. I know how I handle my puppies but I also see what others do with their puppy (letting them jump off tailgates and rough house with big dogs and getting knocked over while playing in the yard). Those are easily preventable contributors to potential orthopedic disasters. Many breeders have replaced puppies due to new owners poor practices in raising puppies whose growth plates are not closed and have let them get injured. I personally understand the risk of buying a puppy and one should do their research on pedigrees to make the best decision.

The other testing that should be done are eyes by a certified veterinary ophthalmologist and tricuspid valve dysplasia testing which has to be performed by echocardiogram. The above mentioned testing protocols are for labradors. Each breed will have their own bugaboos.

79A71933-B93F-4C59-AF4D-8A92006BFB93.jpeg

Here is a chart that explains how genetic abnormalities are carried/transferred .
Often you will see pups being “EIC clear through Parentage”. Quality breeders test the parents prior to breeding so they know they will not be producing affected pups. DNA, Hips, Elbows, Eyes, and Echo all cost money and take time. Add in the time and effort to train a dog to high level, and then testing or trialing costs to see if your dog will actually improve the breed and you see why high quality pups cost a lot and often have a waiting list. I do not breed any litters myself but I have stud dog who is rather popular with the bitches. My friends all think I’m getting rich off of stud fees.....

Last edited:
Back