2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

For the past 10 years I've been traveling 1000+ miles from southern Indiana with a group of guys to South Dakota for the opener. Last year my 17 year old son and my 1 1/2 year old Lab, Gordy, made their first trip with us. Looking forward to this years trip. I'm aware of the disdain that some residents have for the "outta towners" coming in with big groups yelling "ROOSTER" all the time but this type of trip has introduced me, and now my son, to South Dakota pheasant hunting and encouraged me to get my own dog! Hopefully, in a few years, when retirement draws nearer I'll be able to make a few more trips to hunt with a smaller group behind the dogs. Anyway...I've been recording our hunts the last few years mainly as a way to remember and to share with family & friends.

I enjoyed your video. Gordy is a nice looking dog. Just curious, do you hunt public land or through an outfitter?

For the past 10 years I've been traveling 1000+ miles from southern Indiana with a group of guys to South Dakota for the opener. Last year my 17 year old son and my 1 1/2 year old Lab, Gordy, made their first trip with us. Looking forward to this years trip. I'm aware of the disdain that some residents have for the "outta towners" coming in with big groups yelling "ROOSTER" all the time but this type of trip has introduced me, and now my son, to South Dakota pheasant hunting and encouraged me to get my own dog! Hopefully, in a few years, when retirement draws nearer I'll be able to make a few more trips to hunt with a smaller group behind the dogs. Anyway...I've been recording our hunts the last few years mainly as a way to remember and to share with family & friends.

Yellow Labs for the win! Go Gordy Go!!!

Attachments

• pic face.jpg
    pic face.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 5
Through an outfitter but self guided.
I was just curious. I know you mentioned that some people are turned off by the big groups, etc. I was introduced to pheasant hunting when I was 12. Opening weekend in northwest Kansas. We typically had a group of 7 or 8. All private land. My dad and his hunting buddies became good friends with the farmer and it was a sweet deal. The farmer had all daughter so he loved me being out there. My dad and I would go out later in the season by ourselves. This year will be the third year of me going through an outfitter in Kansas. I do it with my boys and a buddy and his boys. We shoot a lot of birds and have a ton of fun. I never thought I would do it, but with the population down in Kansas and my boys being busy we just don't have that much time. I still get out by myself with the dog on public and a couple of private spots I have, but I've learned to enjoy both for what they are.

I was just curious. I know you mentioned that some people are turned off by the big groups, etc. I was introduced to pheasant hunting when I was 12. Opening weekend in northwest Kansas. We typically had a group of 7 or 8. All private land. My dad and his hunting buddies became good friends with the farmer and it was a sweet deal. The farmer had all daughter so he loved me being out there. My dad and I would go out later in the season by ourselves. This year will be the third year of me going through an outfitter in Kansas. I do it with my boys and a buddy and his boys. We shoot a lot of birds and have a ton of fun. I never thought I would do it, but with the population down in Kansas and my boys being busy we just don't have that much time. I still get out by myself with the dog on public and a couple of private spots I have, but I've learned to enjoy both for what they are.
We have a lot of fun with the group and I've met some really good guys throughout the years. On the days that we don't get a limit in the morning I'll take Gordy out in the evening to try to get a rooster or two. I did that last year and got one but didn't take the GoPro with me. I won't make that mistake this year!

Here's a brand new one, hot off the press.

Wow, that's a good one! Now when you were walking in through the corn a pheasant flew in the distance. A couple minutes later you say, "we haven't seen anything yet. 😄" That was such a great retrieve at the end. I think sage was sniffing the fence pole that the rooster ran past while ace ran in the slough and found him. I love those dogs.

Wow, that's a good one! Now when you were walking in through the corn a pheasant flew in the distance. A couple minutes later you say, "we haven't seen anything yet. 😄" That was such a great retrieve at the end. I think sage was sniffing the fence pole that the rooster ran past while ace ran in the slough and found him. I love those dogs.
I also think the bird fell by the post & somehow flopped himself down into the slough. The bird seen in the corn was a blackbird. Agreed, it kind of looks pheasanty, but if you slow the speed down, pause, & zoom in, you can tell it's not.

Last edited:
Back