2022 Season

I'm hoping to get out and try blue earth, wantonwan, le sueur, martin, meeker and maybe Mcleod counties this weeknd(ok, probably not all of them). Hopefully somewhere I can find a spot that isn't ruined by crunchy snow!

I'm hoping to get out and try blue earth, wantonwan, le sueur, martin, meeker and maybe Mcleod counties this weeknd(ok, probably not all of them). Hopefully somewhere I can find a spot that isn't ruined by crunchy snow!
The way the weather man is talking, you should find a few inches of fresh snow over that crusted snow by the weekend.

Ugh, did the freezing rain in SW MN end up freezing on all the grass and trees? Or did it stay warm enough it was just wet and now the snow will end up on top of it? I’m also heading over tomorrow for a few days of late season hunting.

I'm not sure about the freezing rain in SW MN, but the area I hunt has received about 6 inches of heavy wet snow and there is more coming. It might be 8-10 inches after its done. Hunting in that is going to be extremely difficult. Its just saps my energy so quickly.

With my wife questioning my wisdom as I was heading out the door this morning with shotgun and dogs I headed the truck towards my favorite hunting area. As you can imagine, the roads were crappy and the snow deep and general driving speed maybe around 40 mph. The good news? The truck and dogs all came through unscathed. A limit of birds found their way into my vest.

After getting half way back home, I now find myself sitting at a small town bar having lunch, a beer and 3 ibuprofen. My knees are going to hate me for the next few days.

I'm not sure about the freezing rain in SW MN, but the area I hunt has received about 6 inches of heavy wet snow and there is more coming. It might be 8-10 inches after its done. Hunting in that is going to be extremely difficult. Its just saps my energy so quickly.
Ever try snowshoes?!

I made it over for the last 2 hours of the day. The snow was just about right, still manageable to walk in and kryptonite for the birds! Several super tight points with birds flushing at my feet. I managed to bag one, missed several others, dog was not impressed.

Tell us what brand and model is working for you.
Denali MSR. Get a shoe that can support a wide range of weight. See the black fins in the pics? Those are removeable to add/reduce support as gear load and snow conditions change. You can see what they mean to my dog....and they ain't getting out of his sight...especially with fresh snow!

Attachments

• Shoes1.jpg
    Shoes1.jpg
    486.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Shoes2.jpg
    Shoes2.jpg
    485.8 KB · Views: 22
Since I dug the shoes out today, thought I better give the lad a quick workout as he was all worked up.

Attachments

• Shoes3.jpg
    Shoes3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 16
Good work Sunsets! Getting a limit of late season birds is a great accomplishment! And thanks for the tip on the snowshoes, leaving the boots strapped in is genius.

Good work Sunsets! Getting a limit of late season birds is a great accomplishment! And thanks for the tip on the snowshoes, leaving the boots strapped in is genius.
Sometimes good old-fashioned laziness can inspire "genius!" Took me a couple years to figure out it's a lot easier to wait until you get to the field to put snowshoes on, because it's a real hassle trying to drive while wearing them!!

Back