UH OH

birddude

I Watch a long-range weather guy on YouTube called pow ponder. Polar vortex coming around Christmas! Bone chilling weather coming. If it screw me out of a late season trip it will be two years in a row :mad:

Definitely some cold temps coming next week and potentially beyond. I would personally take cold temps over a foot of snow though. Unfortunately for me, I'll end up with both next time I go.
Sitting in Eastern Montana right now riding out a storm. About 15" per the locals and wind currently at 35 mph. Agree I'd rather have cold than snow.

I Watch a long-range weather guy on YouTube called pow ponder. Polar vortex coming around Christmas! Bone chilling weather coming. If it screw me out of a late season trip it will be two years in a row :mad:
We leave Monday morning for a somewhat spur of the moment fishing trip to Devils Lake. Highs expected to be -10 to -12, with lows reaching -23. Hopefully the SnoBear runs!

We leave Monday morning for a somewhat spur of the moment fishing trip to Devils Lake. Highs expected to be -10 to -12, with lows reaching -23. Hopefully the SnoBear runs!
No way!! Ice fishing? what you fish for in that weather? Walleyes? and what the heck is a snobear?

Typically at Devil's we target perch, but the last two winters #'s have been down, and we have caught a lot of walleyes. It's a trip with one of my best friend's, and his uncle and cousin. His uncle is getting up there in age, and doesn't take good care of himself. He may not have many trips left, so I would've felt bad saying no. My Dad is joining us for the first time this year. I'm not expecting great fishing, with the forecast looking like it is, but we will have fun!

This is a snobear.

Going to be cold here this weekend and they are forecasting waay colder next weekend....hoping they are off on that extended forecast. I might be easily convinced to give the birds a break Christmas weekend. I will still have 2 weekends to go after Christmas, with hopefully better temps, but you never know.

I just looked at our 10 day. It’s looking a little better. Thursday is still looking pretty rough but the end of the week is about perfect

Yeah cold temps are pushing my trip with my son to Nebraska, don't mind the cold and agree would take that over deep snow. However, when hi's are sub-zero with 10 to 20 winds that is just to much for me to handle.

I'd rather sit at home and drink beer than do it out on a frozen lake.
In the ice houses they have today most are just as comfortable as your home. I'll drink beer anywhere!

I’m from MS and we never get any deep snow to speak of, and if it does snow, it’s gone within a few days.

I got lucky last year and was able to make an impromptu late season hunt the last weekend of the season.

If a ton of snow gets dumped in SE SD in the next week or so, how likely is it that it will be gone or at least not as bad by mid January?

Have you have seen the forecasted temps for next week? The chances are slim it will be going anywhere soon from where the wind left it. This snow might be here until March...or longer. Hope for some above average temps. This area would be A-5s stompin ground, maybe he can chime in. He might be a few hours short on a meteorology degree, but I think he can give an option as accurate as those with the degree.

Have you have seen the forecasted temps for next week? The chances are slim it will be going anywhere soon from where the wind left it. This snow might be here until March...or longer. Hope for some above average temps. This area would be A-5s stompin ground, maybe he can chime in. He might be a few hours short on a meteorology degree, but I think he can give an option as accurate as those with the degree.
Yes, I’ve been watching the forecasts and webcams for the past 2-3 weeks to monitor current conditions.

Last season, we got lucky and caught it just right with unseasonably warm conditions in the last week of January. I’m hoping that the stars will line up again and a “warm” spell will roll in after Christmas to ease some of the snow cover.

Let us know how DL turns out. DL has become a much better summer fishery than on the ice.
Devil's was a blast! Tuesday the high temp was -17°, and it was windy. The perch were a grind, but we got enough that all of us came home with a full quart bag. This was my Dad's first ice fishing trip. He loved it. He is pictured with our first days catch. 20221221_102033.jpgWednesday morning will be a death bed memory. We limited on walleye in 90 minutes, and threw a bunch back. You didn't even have to work them, they were just hammering the baits. With the weather forecasted for Wednesday night and Thursday, and the already terrible condition of the roads up there, we decided to head home a day early, rather than chase perch. None of us were disappointed, though. It was another incredible trip to DL!
20221220_170632.jpg

Back