Benelli M2 - Problem!

Always slam the bolt. Either use bolt release or pull bolt back and let it snap the shell in. I fell once and butt hit the ground hard and jarred bolt loose which cause my next shot to click. Also when I walk through thick weeds or small trees I reset the bolt when I get out to ensure it didn’t get caught during the trek. In my mind I’ve told myself if I ever hear the dreaded click again that I’m not gonna stare at my gun like what just happened but pull the bolt back and advance another shell then shoot the bird. It works in my head😜
It's the second shell..not the first.

Retay has a patent on a part that prevents that "the Benelli Click" from happening.. The bolt does not return to its full position and the firing pin is just shy of hitting the primer so the gun goes click and never fires.

My everyday shooter in the field is a Retay Gordion Semi-Auto 12ga..I also own the 20 gauge Masai-Mara. Both fine guns at lower price points.
Shoot the Masai 20 gauge myself. HUGE improvement on the bolt by Retay.

It's the second shell..not the first.
Ooops read it wrong! Man that sucks. Sounds like something is not resetting in the trigger. If you’ve broke it down and cleaned I’d try just cycling a few shells. If you got some dummy shells try dry firing some.

I bought a Fabarm L4S initial hunter two years ago, and it was jammy right away. Everyone always says, "clean it good and shoot a box of heavy shells through it" like this is a cure-all. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. You are right to get on this right away, get it looked at by a good gunsmith, and if problem persists get it in the warranty process as soon as possible. In my case I cleaned the gun a bunch and shot it a bunch and it didn't matter, it had to go back to fabarm and they hammered on it there and got it in proper working order.

Let us know what it was. My franchi ( same bolt and trigger) has done that a couple of times. In the heat of the moment I can’t tell you if it clicked or not. My gut says the hammer never cocked or maybe didn’t catch and followed the bolt back forward. This is my third season with it but have only shot a box and a half of shells through it. Ran four boxes of shells through it last weekend and plan on running it in Sd . Hope it worked itself out.

Last edited:
The problem I'm having is "second shell" doesn't fire. Bolt is home on the first shell otherwise it wouldn't have fired.

Visiting with a gunsmith tomorrow - will know more then.

Thanks for all the input!
The problem I'm having is "second shell" doesn't fire. Bolt is home on the first shell otherwise it wouldn't have fired.

Visiting with a gunsmith tomorrow - will know more then.

Thanks for all the input!
Visit to the gunsmith this Morning - Wednesday. He couldn't duplicate the no fire on second round. Suggested I shoot more rounds through the gun, including pheasant loads. Will report when I have a chance to visit the range...again.

Isn't that the way these things often go!
Yes...the mechanic never hears/sees the problem and all looks fine. I shot about 2/3 of a box of shells repeating the same issue. I'll give it a go on Friday, maybe my luck will change.

I've been shooting an M2 for about 10 years and the first year or 2 I experienced the "click". I replaced the stock spring with a Wolff spring and started using FP-10 to lube the internals, and haven't had any issues since. My advice is to give it a good cleaning to remove the factory grease, lube it well with a synthetic oil like FP-10, and maybe shoot some heavier loads to break it in.

I've been shooting an M2 for about 10 years and the first year or 2 I experienced the "click". I replaced the stock spring with a Wolff spring and started using FP-10 to lube the internals, and haven't had any issues since. My advice is to give it a good cleaning to remove the factory grease, lube it well with a synthetic oil like FP-10, and maybe shoot some heavier loads to break it in.
Plan to head to the range, again. will shoot heavier loads, although the gunsmith fired 7/8 oz and had no problems. I did go through the gun and didn't find excessive oil/grease. Thanks for the advice!

Shoot the Masai 20 gauge myself. HUGE improvement on the bolt by Retay.
I have two Retay guns myself. I've owned half a dozen Benelli guns over the years. 3 had issues...one BUL in 20 had ejection issues...one 'Monty and one SBE' both suffered from "THE CLICK". Yes...these issues were fixable. But the Retay's have been perfect right out of the box. My 3 1/2" Masai Mara just finished it's 3rd duck season here in South Dakota and has yet to jam or 'CLICK'. I have no idea why the inertia gun guys are not flocking to Retay. Furthermore Retay actually have these carbon based life forms that pick up the phones and answer your questions. I think these beings are called 'Customer Service Personnel'...but I'm not sure. I AM sure Benelli has none of these strange entities.

Last edited:
I have two Retay guns myself. I've owned half a dozen Benelli guns over the years. 3 had issues...one BUL in 20 had ejection issues...one 'Monty and one SBE' both suffered from "THE CLICK". Yes...these issues were fixable. But the Retay's have been perfect right out of the box. My 3 1/2" Masai Mara just finished it's 3rd duck season here in South Dakota and has yet to jam or 'CLICK'. I have no idea why the inertia gun guys are flocking to Retay. Furthermore Retay actually have these carbon based life forms that pick up the phones and answer your questions. I think these beings are called 'Customer Service Personnel'...but I'm not sure. I AM sure Benelli has none of these strange entities.
I have two Retay guns myself. I've owned half a dozen Benelli guns over the years. 3 had issues...one BUL in 20 had ejection issues...one 'Monty and one SBE' both suffered from "THE CLICK". Yes...these issues were fixable. But the Retay's have been perfect right out of the box. My 3 1/2" Masai Mara just finished it's 3rd duck season here in South Dakota and has yet to jam or 'CLICK'. I have no idea why the inertia gun guys are flocking to Retay. Furthermore Retay actually have these carbon based life forms that pick up the phones and answer your questions. I think these beings are called 'Customer Service Personnel'...but I'm not sure. I AM sure Benelli has none of these strange entities.
Had many of the same issues with my Benelli's, but when I need a 12 gauge...they are the go to guns

Plan to head to the range, again. will shoot heavier loads, although the gunsmith fired 7/8 oz and had no problems. I did go through the gun and didn't find excessive oil/grease. Thanks for the advice!
Shot one heavy load and two 7/8oz today/Friday. No issues, except the shooter had problems hitting - shooting over the bird. Still not happy with the force it takes to insert a shell in the magazine. Perhaps that will improve with age...

Shot one heavy load and two 7/8oz today/Friday. No issues, except the shooter had problems hitting - shooting over the bird. Still not happy with the force it takes to insert a shell in the magazine. Perhaps that will improve with age...
My M2 shot high out of the box. Like 75/25 high...and that might be a touch conservative. Switched a shim out and I'm 60/40, now. I'm very glad I shot the gun on paper.

My M2 shot high out of the box. Like 75/25 high...and that might be a touch conservative. Switched a shim out and I'm 60/40, now. I'm very glad I shot the gun on paper.
I doubled the shims: one C and one B...hope this works. Need to shoot at paper target.

My franchi did that again yesterday Johnny. I looked at it this time and the hammer was still cocked . In gloves maybe my finger hung through the trigger hole to far and put it back in safe when I fired ? or maybe recoil did it? Didn’t think to even check the safety and see if it was went back on safe. Second shell like what happened to you

My franchi did that again yesterday Johnny. I looked at it this time and the hammer was still cocked . In gloves maybe my finger hung through the trigger hole to far and put it back in safe when I fired ? or maybe recoil did it? Didn’t think to even check the safety and see if it was went back on safe. Second shell like what happened to you
Brown Dog: In my case, it was a lack of holding the gun tight to the shoulder.

Back