Rainy Day Shotgun Under $500?

Any suggestions for a cheap shotgun to take out on the handful of rainy days that happen on my days off that I don't want to stay home? 12 or 20 doesn't matter.

Ok, I have been following this thread some.

Please answer a question that has my curiosity up. What is your "sunny day" gun such that you are seeking a "rainy day" gun?

Years ago I bought a Mossberg 535 for about $350 bucks new. I looked and it's still under $400. That would be my "rainy day" shotgun. When I picked up a new Sweet 16, I sold 2 other pumps I didn't use much, but I kept that Mossberg. It's like a beater car, as long as it shoots I don't care much what happens to it.

I use a benelli ultralight auto 12 gauge.
I too have an ultralight and when it rains/snows the camo Franchi gets the nod. I've got a intensity auto loader with a 26" barrel that shoots awesome and is bomb proof in the elements...just not as pretty to look at.

Great gun especially the ones made in USA.
Some years ago, I laid out a dozen or so guns, a couple upwards of 2 k. Told my grandsons to pick one out. My oldest who already had a couple nice guns, picked up my cherry 1958 16 ga. Ithaca 37. and said what's this? I said that it was not a target gun, turkey, duck or deer gun. What it is, is one of the best pump guns ever made. Its a game gun, made to shoot instinctively. It's light, fast and weatherproof. The following weekend we shot some clay and even though he didn't shoot it as well as his browning silver, afterwards he stroked the 37 and said I love this gun. Today is the beginning of our annual put and take pheasant hunting. My youngest will be packing his Rizzini that he picked. I know what my oldest will be packing!

I stumbled across one at a local town's police department's silent auction. It had been a squad gun in a small Wisconsin town. It was labeled
"PS/DS featherweight," which stood for Police special/deerslayer special and was open cylinder 12ga, 20 inches, with the extended magazine and the most accurate slug gun I've ever shot. At the time, my area was shotgun-only hunting for deer.

Through no fault of my own, I made two incredible one-shot kills, one on a running deer ( I mean running) and the second a tough shot through the woods. I was told that the police specials had the open cylinder refined for slug accuracy--have no idea of how factual that report is.

I sent it on to a friend in Southern Indiana, where they still have shotgun only deer season. He reported punching center holes in targets with regularity.

Neat gun. Heavy as heck when you load the magazine with slug shells- I think it was eight rounds, or seven +one. I only did that once when hunting. Why did I? Well, jeez, there's all this space and...and.... Bad idea.

Ithaca model 37 psds.jpg100_0373.jpg100_0374.jpg100_0375.jpg

Last edited:
When was there ever an Ithaca M37 not made in the USA?
I don't think they did but there was a short time in the 80s that they were not the gun they should have been. I don't know about the new ones, but I guarantee They are heavier with the 3" chambers.

I don't think they did but there was a short time in the 80s that they were not the gun they should have been. I don't know about the new ones, but I guarantee They are heavier with the 3" chambers.
I had a new one in ‘20. It was a bit heavier than my ‘52 but not bad. It had a good feel and the fit was good. There were a couple things about it that I didn’t like so it’s gone now.

Some years ago, I laid out a dozen or so guns, a couple upwards of 2 k. Told my grandsons to pick one out. My oldest who already had a couple nice guns, picked up my cherry 1958 16 ga. Ithaca 37. and said what's this? I said that it was not a target gun, turkey, duck or deer gun. What it is, is one of the best pump guns ever made. Its a game gun, made to shoot instinctively. It's light, fast and weatherproof. The following weekend we shot some clay and even though he didn't shoot it as well as his browning silver, afterwards he stroked the 37 and said I love this gun. Today is the beginning of our annual put and take pheasant hunting. My youngest will be packing his Rizzini that he picked. I know what my oldest will be packing!
First put and take phenomenal of the year. Notice guns.

Attachments

• 5D499EDC-63A4-4D64-BDB9-DD33EDCE1BA8.jpeg
    5D499EDC-63A4-4D64-BDB9-DD33EDCE1BA8.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 18
Dude, I think you are right. Quality went way down in the 80's.

Yes, I think that's what almost put them out of business. I had two around that time. Not even close to the older ones. I'm not sure what years they were made but I look for the old corncob grip. Those were my favorites.

Back