2022 Season

I’m not a deer hunter but would have guessed a little standing corn would be prime sanctuary when every woods around is pushed on Saturday morning. Interesting to know that’s not true.
If its a small field, yes. This one is big, and its right in the middle of the property. The problem is that you can't really hunt standing corn unless you have a bunch of drivers and posters, just like for pheasant hunting. We have two people. And as soon as you start walking through it, the deer squirt out, and likely do not come back for days, especially a mature buck.

If he left about 8 rows of it out there until the end of the year I'd be fine with that lol.

Holy cow there are a lot of pheasants out there. I sat in my deer stand for a week and saw probably 200 of them just on the property we hunt. The entire countryside was an orchestra of cackling roosters when the sun came up and they would buzz the landscape like a swarm of locusts for hours. Little bit of fresh snow this morning too. Its gonna be game on until the season ends. I also saw about 100 wild turkeys. No shortage of those either.

That's great to hear Gimruis. I popped on a private piece of land that I know isn't hunted for deer on Saturday afternoon (11/12/2022) and flushed up 8 hens, one rooster broke too early for a shot but of course the hens are holding tight. I'm not in prime pheasant territory but wish I was seeing more roosters.

There are definitely alot more birds out this year than the last few. I’ve been limiting out almost every trip in SE Mn on public land. Today went out to a WIA and was done in 20 mins.

I went yesterday for the first time this season in the fresh snow and raised 25 birds at the first spot. I dumped one of the roosters. Unfortunately, the spurs cut my dog's leg and ripped open the skin so I had to call it quits early. The vet cleaned it up and put some surgical staples in. It didn't bleed much or seem to bother her, but I couldn't risk it getting worse or infected. No walks or hunting for the next 10-14 days.

I went yesterday for the first time this season in the fresh snow and raised 25 birds at the first spot. I dumped one of the roosters. Unfortunately, the spurs cut my dog's leg and ripped open the skin so I had to call it quits early. The vet cleaned it up and put some surgical staples in. It didn't bleed much or seem to bother her, but I couldn't risk it getting worse or infected. No walks or hunting for the next 10-14 days.
Ouch that doesn’t sound like a fun deal. Glad you got the dog patched up right away tho !

I don't mean to hijack the thread but a few years ago in K.S. My buddy's setter ran into a sharp snag. I saw it happen. It really laid her open but no damage that I could see to any meat just a big gash in the skin. It looked pretty bad, so we loaded her up and found the nearest vet. He said that if he sewed her up, she couldn't hunt for a couple weeks but if we wanted to keep hunting her apply Epson salt water every evening for 10 minutes. I was skeptical but after three days it started healing up nicely. It healed up and now you can't even see where it was. Disclaimer don't do it without a vets advise!!

Glad you got the dog patched up right away tho
I actually considered the idea just wrapping it quick and continuing to hunt. But I thought better of that since we had to walk out back to the truck from where it happened, and I was worried about it getting infected, which would obviously make things much worse. 10-14 days of rest isn't the end of the world. Our season runs through Jan 1 so I will have most of December to hunt.

I actually considered the idea just wrapping it quick and continuing to hunt. But I thought better of that since we had to walk out back to the truck from where it happened, and I was worried about it getting infected, which would obviously make things much worse. 10-14 days of rest isn't the end of the world. Our season runs through Jan 1 so I will have most of December to hunt.
December is the best time to hunt too. A little snow and less crowds! I carry a stapler in my truck for emergency situations but haven’t needed it yet.

No walks or hunting for the next 10-14 days.
Sorry to hear about your dog. I have had a few incidents that put dogs on a week or two break over the past 30 years or so. Never easy for many reasons. Let’s hope for a solid recovery and for a decent December!

Sorry to hear about your dog. I have had a few incidents that put dogs on a week or two break over the past 30 years or so. Never easy for many reasons. Let’s hope for a solid recovery and for a decent December!
That's the reason I bought a pup. I'm adding a trip or two from now on. Got to thinking about what a bummer it would be if I got 700 miles away and something like that happened. If it was a very bad I would head it home, but a cut pad or a couple stitches I can stay.

I was out in SD for our first trip a couple weeks ago, first day my lab got sprayed by a skunk and decided to fight with a barbed wire fence and lost. She put a nice gash in her upper back leg, no blood just a big gash. I put EMT gel on it every morning and night, took her in for stitches when I got home. Needless to say it took her all of 36hrs to have those pulled out, so she went back in for staples and the cone of shame. She will be hunting 9 days after the staples went in. I will just keep watch on it to make sure it doesn't open back up but she should be fine. It would take something really major for me to call off a trip, especially if it is not affecting the dog. Mine didn't favor it or limp at all, acted like nothing happened.

Got to thinking about what a bummer it would be if I got 700 miles away and something like that happened.
Ya it was definitely a bummer, but my dog's overall health is far more important than any rooster. She's healing nicely already and I think its likely we'll be hunting again in a little over a week.

Back