Here's my ammo stash at this point in time

I picked up a couple more boxes. Never hear much about these Remington nitro pheasants, probably because they don't have as catchy/gimmicky name like "prairie storm", but I think they're gonna be winners when I put my eyeball and the barrel in the right location on a flying rooster.
I've had good luck using them in 16ga. Wasn't my first choice but you take what you can find right now, especially 16ga 🤣

'Bout what I have too.

Was just in the Scheels in Sioux City. Lots of shells, but the standard lead pheasant loads were limited selection, not sure I saw any 5 shot, there are 6s and 4s on the shelves now.

Actually, many loads will work just fine, including (especially!) 16 gauge and 20 gauge loads with hard shot and reasonable (1200FPS or better) velocity. To quote Bob Brister from "Shotgunning: The Art and Science"--it's not hitting them hard, but HITTING them, that makes the difference.
I'd also add--hitting them in the right place-the front end.

Actually, many loads will work just fine, including (especially!) 16 gauge and 20 gauge loads with hard shot and reasonable (1200FPS or better) velocity. To quote Bob Brister from "Shotgunning: The Art and Science"--it's not hitting them hard, but HITTING them, that makes the difference.
I'd also add--hitting them in the right place-the front end.
This guy gets it!

I picked up a couple more boxes. Never hear much about these Remington nitro pheasants, probably because they don't have as catchy/gimmicky name like "prairie storm", but I think they're gonna be winners when I put my eyeball and the barrel in the right location on a flying rooster.
We called them copper coated thigh buster. Bought 10 flats a while back and down to my last two boxes for #5's but got a flat of Agulia #6 inbound now.

I'm the type that would be pretty nervous is that small pile of loads was all I had going into fall.
Last winter being retired and just out of Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands I was looking for something to keep me busy that wasn't too hard on the hands. Had most of a flat of Golden Pheasant #5's for my 391 12 ga, my main pheasant getter. Started thinking though, I really like carrying my SxS 16 Dickinson Estate and it just feels right in the uplands. Dug out the loader and components for 1 1/8 oz nickle plated 5's and got started filling boxes. Couldn't keep at it too long at a time, so I spread it out over a few days. About the time I ran out of shot I started counting. Whoa, 30 boxes plus some 6's. Guess I'll carry the 16 more for awhile.

Anecdotally these have been my go to's over the years. I shoot a 12 ga Franchi Affinity 28". Last year I kept IC choke in the whole season. By far the best knock down rate and kill rate of any of the other ammunition used in the past(Winchester Super Pheasant, Federal Premium Varieties, Fiochhi Golden Pheasants etc).

I'm the type that would be pretty nervous is that small pile of loads was all I had going into fall.
Last winter being retired and just out of Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands I was looking for something to keep me busy that wasn't too hard on the hands. Had most of a flat of Golden Pheasant #5's for my 391 12 ga, my main pheasant getter. Started thinking though, I really like carrying my SxS 16 Dickinson Estate and it just feels right in the uplands. Dug out the loader and components for 1 1/8 oz nickle plated 5's and got started filling boxes. Couldn't keep at it too long at a time, so I spread it out over a few days. About the time I ran out of shot I started counting. Whoa, 30 boxes plus some 6's. Guess I'll carry the 16 more for awhile.
Dang that's to bad that you reloaded to many... I guess I could do you a favor and take some of those off your hands..

Here's an updated picture. I don't plan on buying anymore...unless I actually see #5's in stock somewhere🤩. There's a good supply of shells at all the stores I've been to in MN recently. There's no way I could blow through all this ammo in a season, but I'm gonna try!
P.S. I'm not a retired grandpa who hunts 5 days a week, if I was I'd keep adding to the stash. 20220817_110519.jpg

Here's an updated picture. I don't plan on buying anymore...unless I actually see #5's in stock somewhere🤩. There's a good supply of shells at all the stores I've been to in MN recently. There's no way I could blow through all this ammo in a season, but I'm gonna try!
P.S. I'm not a retired grandpa who hunts 5 days a week, if I was I'd keep adding to the stash.
What are those shells in the clear containers in the top right? Boss?

What are those shells in the clear containers in the top right? Boss?
Yeah that's what they are. They're not keen on sending out many boxes when you order shells from them. So I ordered a case about 14 months ago and only got 2 boxes. Their boxes are only 20 shells each and not 25, which although a small thing, it is annoying to me. I ordered 5s, wish I would have done 4s.

You will not be able to shoot those all in one season chasin pheasants....unless you hunt every day, ingnore possession limits AND are a teribble shot....I trust none of those are fitting. Stock up went the price comes down, guessing there will be sales prior to season this year.

You will not be able to shoot those all in one season chasin pheasants....unless you hunt every day, ingnore possession limits AND are a teribble shot....I trust none of those are fitting. Stock up went the price comes down, guessing there will be sales prior to season this year.
Yeah I agree with you. But notice what this dude said...

Maybe Ole (KS) shoots at a lot of quail also or gets a round of clays in a few times a week. I see the post, maybe he fits all 3 requirements. Here in Iowa we have a 3 bird daily limit and 12 bird possession limit, even if you go out twice a week all season (22 outings), and hunt until you get a 3 bird limit (maybe 6-7-8 shots, if you aren't a good shot) you should be good for 2 years (likely less than 7 boxes of 25)! I think Ole is trying to get you riled up. Relax and stock-up when Scheels has a sale a week or 2 before the seasons start. I load my own and load so I have 5-6 boxes ready and that will be enough to get me through season, I hunt about 25 outings per season. I only hunt pheasants with these loads.

shells.jpg
~200 Kent Tunsten Matrix 1-1/4 ounce 5's
~280 Boss bismuth 1 ounce 5's
~35 Handloads of 1-1/4 ounce nickel plated #5
and a mish-mash of 1-1/8 ounce lead in 4, 5 and 6

A decent batch of 16 gauge loads. I wonder how many years it'll take me to shoot these up? But, I think as I use these up I will switch completely to the 1 ounce Boss bismuth loads. Their performance has been excellent and I don't have to worry about switching around non-tox and lead.

View attachment 3808
~200 Kent Tunsten Matrix 1-1/4 ounce 5's
~280 Boss bismuth 1 ounce 5's
~35 Handloads of 1-1/4 ounce nickel plated #5
and a mish-mash of 1-1/8 ounce lead in 4, 5 and 6

A decent batch of 16 gauge loads. I wonder how many years it'll take me to shoot these up? But, I think as I use these up I will switch completely to the 1 ounce Boss bismuth loads. Their performance has been excellent and I don't have to worry about switching around non-tox and lead.
Must be nice to be a millionaire!! 🤢

Is this a somewhat fair pride for these?

Attachments

• CF29C221-6D56-4B34-BCF0-E01F57D6572E.jpeg
    CF29C221-6D56-4B34-BCF0-E01F57D6572E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
Back