Southern DIY Quail Hunt

mosetters

Has anyone ever done a DIY, public land quail hunt in the deep South? Thinking about a Georgia, Florida, AL, SC, etc. Very interested in hunting wild birds in pine woods in the south. Thanks!

Definitely wait til after deer season. They usually hunt pretty hard down here til mid January. I have had success on public lands in the south but its thin. I have a friend who hunts some in SC , said it was decent. There are public land birds here in Tennessee. GA or FL would be my recommendation.

Definitely wait til after deer season. They usually hunt pretty hard down here til mid January. I have had success on public lands in the south but its thin. I have a friend who hunts some in SC , said it was decent. There are public land birds here in Tennessee. GA or FL would be my recommendation.
Thanks for the input! Looking to try something a little different. Have never shot a quail that far south.

Snakes usually aren't an issue after November. That being said its certainly warmer here late in the year than it used to be.You might also consider hitting the North GA , East TN , and or Western NC mountains for ruffed grouse if you came this way.

Snakes usually aren't an issue after November. That being said its certainly warmer here late in the year than it used to be.You might also consider hitting the North GA , East TN , and or Western NC mountains for ruffed grouse if you came this way.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind!

I wouldn't recommend an out of state drive to GA for any public quail hunting. All the WMA's that have a decent quail population are limited to quota hunts.

Thanks Jake, everyone I talk to about it says bassicaly the same thing. Maybe I'll just come down and do one of those caned hunts!

It works but takes you a few years to build up points in GA anyway. Every year you get a point for applying to the wma you want to hunt. The more desirable locations take a few points to get drawn. It keeps the hunting pressure down on the birds. Most the WMA that have the hunts set up like this only allow 5-10 days of hunting a season.

If you go to the ga dnr website to about quoto hunt section you can find out the odds of getting selected at each wma with the number of points applied to that hunt. you can usually get into most wma quail quoto hunts with one point applied sometimes zero. Some are 2 or 3 points but that is the minority

If you go to the ga dnr website to about quoto hunt section you can find out the odds of getting selected at each wma with the number of points applied to that hunt. you can usually get into most wma quail quoto hunts with one point applied sometimes zero. Some are 2 or 3 points but that is the minority
I have been saving up for Di lane hopefully get it this coming season

Back