2021 Pheasant Hunting Videos

Golden Hour

As more guys start filming their hunts, I'm optimistic that we will see some more here. Having footage of Sage doing her thing is precious to me and that's why I do it. At the same time, I enjoy watching hunting videos and figure you guys might as well. Here is a video from last Friday. Hunted two public spots and had a great day.

Another great video! So much for all the naysayers stating there are no birds in your area. I hope my young dog learns to slow down a little like Sage. Jogging to keep up can be a whipping.

Nice video. What kind of camera and mount are you using for these? Thanks
I have a GoPro Hero 8 and I drilled a hole into the bill of a baseball cap and secured the mount. You can find examples on YouTube. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd go out to my truck and upload a picture. ;) I tried the headstrap a couple times and it kept slipping to the side so the videos came out wonky. I have come to like the hat mount and have a Carhart stocking cap that I'm able to pull over the cap when it gets cold.

I have a ShotKam on the barrel.

Another great video! So much for all the naysayers stating there are no birds in your area. I hope my young dog learns to slow down a little like Sage. Jogging to keep up can be a whipping.
Yeah, it takes a while. Even then, there are times where I give up and let her go. Your pup will get there. The more experience the get, the quicker they understand that you're a team and it takes the both of you to get the bird on the ground.

Last edited:
I dare say that's one of your best yet! Very nicely done on all accounts!

Thanks. It was an instant classic hunt. Gently falling snow, low wind, thousands of snow geese, educated birds, tough birds and a couple that were kind enough to play ball, etc. Even without the limit, it was one of those days which exemplifies WHY we lace up and head into the field.

Nice work man, fun to watch.... you better stretch out before you go with Sage, looks like a workout!

Question, whats an "Iron Pony Hunter"?

Nice work man, fun to watch.... you better stretch out before you go with Sage, looks like a workout!

Question, whats an "Iron Pony Hunter"?

Haha, she's always energetic, but the combination of light grass and skittish birds really had her going that day.

"Iron Pony" is a euphemism for a truck/vehicle. An iron pony hunter (I typically use it in reference to deer hunters) is the guy who drives around looking for something to shoot rather than putting boots on the ground.

Last edited:
Haha, she's always energetic, but the combination of light grass and skittish birds really had her going that day.

"Iron Pony" is a euphemism for a truck/vehicle. An iron pony hunter (I typically use it in reference to deer hunters) is the who drives around looking for something to shoot rather than putting boots on the ground.
Gotcha. Yeah at least she points and waits for you to get closer, my springers certainly dont do that. A running rooster in light grass usually gets up about 80 yards away. That scenario you had right afterwards was so cool to capture on video though, really makes me thinking about putting that Go Pro I have to use. Crazy how them birds will stay there sometimes, until the bitter end. Sage just about ran over that rooster, chasing the hen that got up!

Gotcha. Yeah at least she points and waits for you to get closer, my springers certainly dont do that. A running rooster in light grass usually gets up about 80 yards away. That scenario you had right afterwards was so cool to capture on video though, really makes me thinking about putting that Go Pro I have to use. Crazy how them birds will stay there sometimes, until the bitter end. Sage just about ran over that rooster, chasing the hen that got up!

I cannot recommend the GoPro enough. Having those moments saved on video is well worth the hassle of dealing with the camera/batteries. Especially on a bird like that one, where I had no idea he ran out, just about got stomped on and then flushed. Hopefully you'll start and share your exploits. It's fun to see the infinite habitats and scenarios that hunting pheasants presents.

Great video. Keep up the good work. I'm learning from you working this "thin" grass. Well maybe not thin, but short and it's always nice to be able to watch a flushing dog work, even if you have to run after them at times.

Back