SD Open Fields Doctrine soon to be gone.

While I never have and never would use the link, I would not be a bit surprised if 4thAmendmentLawyer has already caused a few Report link clicks.

Me too.

No way to know but for the most part, I'd guess the most frequent faceless, anonymous (I'd add, spineless) tattlers are the very individuals who (ever so innocently) themselves put a leftward spin on things then cry foul if anyone should respond. Personally - I have no issue with anyone saying anything they believe and letting us all sort things out for themselves, without benefit of political cleansing. Barring that - I'd consider it more than fair to tabulate and post the number of "reports" per poster. Wouldn't even have to say exactly what or who they tattled about - just include it with the other data like "reaction" scores.

T

Me too.

No way to know but for the most part, I'd guess the most frequent faceless, anonymous (I'd add, spineless) tattlers are the very individuals who (ever so innocently) themselves put a leftward spin on things then cry foul if anyone should respond. Personally - I have no issue with anyone saying anything they believe and letting us all sort things out for themselves, without benefit of political cleansing. Barring that - I'd consider it more than fair to tabulate and post the number of "reports" per poster. Wouldn't even have to say exactly what or who they tattled about - just include it with the other data like "reaction" scores.

Some posts are like dog turds on a sidewalk. Yes, I can walk around them, ignore them, but they stink the place up and generally make the neighborhood look bad. On this forum I can’t pick the turd up myself, I have to report it.

It’s a civic duty.

Some posts are like dog turds on a sidewalk. Yes, I can walk around them, ignore them, but they stink the place up and generally make the neighborhood look bad. On this forum I can’t pick the turd up myself, I have to report it.

It’s a civic duty.
Colorful, but I know you can do better than "yes, I'm a spineless rat, and proud of it". Not what made America great.
What else ya got?

Colorful, but I know you can do better than "yes, I'm a spineless rat, and proud of it". Not what made America great.
What else ya got?
Sounds like you are all butt hurt. I will gladly endorse a listing of those whom report, as long as we have a list of whom is reported.

I‘m thinking maybe you would top the later list.

Name calling I didn’t think was allowed.

Rather low don’t you think ?

Sounds like you are all butt hurt. I will gladly endorse a listing of those whom report, as long as we have a list of whom is reported.

I‘m thinking maybe you would top the later list.

Name calling I didn’t think was allowed.

Rather low don’t you think ?

A rat is just that - a rat. It's not a name; its a description. And accurate, by your own account. Own it.

Meanwhile - I respect your right to share any opinion you may have, including just exactly what you think of me and my inputs. How could you ask for more than that? In a free society, I mean.

Mr. McFarmer
No butt pains here......seriously, I enjoyed the hell out of it..
Wouldn't worry about ol native...he steps on his dick more than any poster I've seen.....and the beauty of it all ...is just how proud he is to do so

Mr. McFarmer
No butt pains here......seriously, I enjoyed the hell out of it..
Wouldn't worry about ol native...he steps on his dick more than any poster I've seen.....and the beauty of it all ...is just how proud he is to do so
Ick. For a guy so deeply offended because he thought he heard someone imply that a coed felt uncomfortable for reasons she couldn't quite put her finger on with young, paraplegic Congressman - don't you think all these anatomical references are more than a little offensive?

I'm outraged.

But carry on, the view count is GREAT!!!!

A rat is just that - a rat. It's not a name; its a description. And accurate, by your own account. Own it.

Meanwhile - I respect your right to share any opinion you may have, including just exactly what you think of me and my inputs. How could you ask for more than that? In a free society, I mean.
I don’t give one episode of sexual intercourse what you think. I’m out, if I want to be insulted I’ll start listening to my wife.

You can have run the circle jerk yourself.

It‘s true what they say about one bad apple I guess.

I have gained some good hunting companions from this site, they know how to contact me for next fall. Bye.

Well I, for one, will miss your insights and commentary. It was interesting to have a small window into the NW Iowa working farmer perspective.
I think most of us here are a generation or two removed from that, so your perspectives had added value.

Plus, I don't know how one could possible carry off a circle jerk by oneself. Meth?

Lol folks about to find out that you have no right to say whatever you want on this forum...private site can make their own rules. Mods here tend to not like uncivilized talk.

I fully support the concept of private property, and have greatly appreciated the opportunity graciously afforded me to opine freely here. As well as to respond (relatively moderately, IMHO) when tagged an idiot, racist, bigot, deviant, etc by some who don't happen to share my views. If the rules of engagement don't allow that - I'd view (sorry, assess) my own non-participation as a win-win for alcon. Self included.

Best to all, lets hope for a better 2021. God bless America.

Last edited:
In the event that anyone is still interested in the topic of the thread, the SD legislature used the "smoke out" procedure to revive the bill after it failed in committee and was subsequently passed by the senate and house. Open Fields will no longer be available to SDGFP Officers, but Open Fields is still in practice for all other law enforcement agencies.

I'm still interested. Not much current news out there on it yet. I did find this, which indicates that there's no real change here. Apparently this has been department policy for nearly a decade.

So if this just formally codifying what they've been doing for a decade....well, the sky hasn't fallen yet.

"While the law currently allows these officers to enter private property without permission, since 2011, the department has scaled back such activity, said Robling in testimony before the committee. Current policy within the department is for officers to remain on public areas such as roads or section lines and wait for a hunt to be completed before conducting a check. Also, they are generally only conducting checks when and where they see a hunt occurring. So, for example, they are not looking in freezers or vehicles for evidence, unless they have reason to believe wrongdoing has occurred."

I'm still interested. Not much current news out there on it yet. I did find this, which indicates that there's no real change here. Apparently this has been department policy for nearly a decade.

So if this just formally codifying what they've been doing for a decade....well, the sky hasn't fallen yet.

"While the law currently allows these officers to enter private property without permission, since 2011, the department has scaled back such activity, said Robling in testimony before the committee. Current policy within the department is for officers to remain on public areas such as roads or section lines and wait for a hunt to be completed before conducting a check. Also, they are generally only conducting checks when and where they see a hunt occurring. So, for example, they are not looking in freezers or vehicles for evidence, unless they have reason to believe wrongdoing has occurred."
You're exactly right. Anyone who has followed the issue (rather than mindlessly sensationalizing the matter based on headlines) as it has played out here in SD, between the SDGFP and the legislature, knows that this whole issue is about a tiff that started 15 years ago (and was rectified by the department ten years ago), ending with the Lt. Governor finally getting to take his shot at the agency. If it was truly about private property protections, the law would have applied to all LEO's and not just game wardens.

It passed and will soon be law if it isnt already. I wonder how many federal wardens will have uncomfortable contacts now that this passed? There will surely be confusion.

You're exactly right. Anyone who has followed the issue (rather than mindlessly sensationalizing the matter based on headlines) as it has played out here in SD, between the SDGFP and the legislature, knows that this whole issue is about a tiff that started 15 years ago (and was rectified by the department ten years ago), ending with the Lt. Governor finally getting to take his shot at the agency. If it was truly about private property protections, the law would have applied to all LEO's and not just game wardens.
So what was the tiff (that needed rectification) about? Just curious.

Also - FWIW - not to get cross threaded here, but don't LEOs (who aren't Department of Wildlife COs) already require probable cause to enter private property? I thought that was the nub of the issue - COs having much broader authority than other LEOs. Even if they, at their discretion or as a matter of departmental policy, elected to "scale back" their exercise of that authority.

But as you say - no longer a big deal, either way. Now.

Back