Training books

Dohyde34

I am about to put a deposit down on a pointing lab from Red Label Labs. Does anyone have any experience with there dogs? I've ordered The pointing lab training book. Does anyone have any other recommendations on books or training material?

10 Minute Retriever by John & Amy Dahl. It will take you from 7 weeks to about 6 months. After that, Smartwork by Evan Graham...

Finished dog by Charles Jurney has a ton of information. Its probably the least known retriever book I have but I reference it more often than the rest combined.
For videos I have grown to like Hillmans puppy stuff followed by Lardys, or Stawski's big dog stuff.
Someone will likely suggest Water Dog, this was the gold standard but is now extremely dated.
As for stuff specific to pointing labs I have no idea.

Ok appreciate it. I've got another question. Normally in the past I've got an early spring dog so I could hunt them the following fall. I might have to get a summer or maybe early fall because I'm building a house and I want the yard to be done first. Is there anything wrong with the dog being over a year old during his first season?

My dogs are always over a year old when they begin their first season. When I start a 7 week old pup I always get a late winter born pup. It takes 16-24 months to complete the program I follow for my labs, so they are fully trained & ready to hunt the Fall of their second year...

I wouldn't hunt a dog under a year in age.

I wouldn't hunt a dog under a year in age.
Why is that? I’ve had good success with the two previous dogs I’ve had. The younger one was born in May and went to work in November. The other was 11 months. I admit to being lucky with those dogs, so I’m asking, not arguing.

Back