Shooting percentage

I have a theory: the fewer shells your gun holds, the better your % will be.
Sometimes it doesn't matter how many shells I have in.. I can't hit anything. My SX4 will hold 4+1 2.75 shells. 2 years ago I shot my first rooster and I hit him on the 5th shot about 50 yards away.. I was hooked from then on.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how many shells I have in.. I can't hit anything. My SX4 will hold 4+1 2.75 shells. 2 years ago I shot my first rooster and I hit him on the 5th shot about 50 yards away.. I was hooked from then on.
I lost one yesterday, because I took a third shot, going straight away.I thought I would find him, but looked for 20 minutes. I think he burrowed into a tree.Point is, I should not have taken that third shot, going straight away at 50 yards plus.

I lost one yesterday, because I took a third shot, going straight away.I thought I would find him, but looked for 20 minutes. I think he burrowed into a tree.Point is, I should not have taken that third shot, going straight away at 50 yards plus.
Yeah I don't take the long shots anymore.. But I didn't have a clue what I was doing with that first rooster. Luckily enough we were able to find it.

I believe that I should hit and kill (or critically cripple) every rooster that flushes within 30 yards of me if I have a clean shot. So the answer is 100%. Some years my percentage is 100% too. Other years its not, but the number of roosters that I miss based on those parameters I can count on one hand so its not like I'm missing very many. Still, those are gimmes that I have no excuse for.

Three items have skyrocketed my percentage the past 15 years or so:
1) Using a Benelli Montrefelto instead of a Remington 870
2) Using high velocity lead ammo
3) Holding the shotgun with two hands as often as I'm able to

Yeah I don't take the long shots anymore.. But I didn't have a clue what I was doing with that first rooster. Luckily enough we were able to find it.
That's good! I hate to loose them! Sometimes, they will get away, no matter what you do.I think this one actually flew. There was lots of blood in the snow. Unbelievable adrenalin. Still, not a good shot...

I believe that I should hit and kill (or critically cripple) every rooster that flushes within 30 yards of me if I have a clean shot. So the answer is 100%. Some years my percentage is 100% too. Other years its not, but the number of roosters that I miss based on those parameters I can count on one hand so its not like I'm missing very many. Still, those are gimmes that I have no excuse for.

I have to call BS on that statement.

I feel inadequate amongst such proficient shooters. I'm probably in the 35% range. I'm also not afraid to shoot my gun. I don't take wild, careless shots, but sometimes a rooster flushes and scoots around the edge of a treebelt and I'll try to beat him. Most times, I simply don't focus on that first shot. Literally, I miss the first shot about 80 percent of the time. Sometimes my right foot is out ahead of me and my left foot is tangled in cattails when the roosters flushes. My lab is primarily a flusher. Sometimes I'm running when the bird flushes. Other times, they jump up behind me.

Point is, hunting isn't perfect and that's what I love about it. If a rooster flushes at my feet and goes away from me at 15 feet off the ground, away from the sun on a warm October day, my percentage is better. Heck, I'll miss some of those shots, too. Some times, I'll get hot and hit 5 roosters in a row over the course of a couple hunts with one shot on each. Next few times out, I'll be 2 for 15. Sometimes I'll hit a bird, know he's going down, but not dead and then shoot him again.

Last edited:
I feel inadequate amongst such proficient shooters. I'm probably in the 35% range. I'm also not afraid to shoot my gun. I don't take wild, careless shots, but sometimes a rooster flushes and scoots around the edge of a treebelt and I'll try to beat him. Most times, I simply don't focus on that first shot. Literally, I miss the first shot about 80 percent of the time. Sometimes my right foot is out ahead of me and my left foot is tangled in cattails when the roosters flushes. My lab is primarily a flusher. Sometimes I'm running when the bird flushes. Other times, they jump up behind me.

Point is, hunting isn't perfect and that's what I love about it. If a rooster flushes at my feet and goes away from me at 15 feet off the ground, away from the sun on a warm October day, my percentage is better. Heck, I'll miss some of those shots, too. Some times, I'll get hot and hit 5 roosters in a row over the course of a couple hunts with one shot on each. Next few times out, I'll be 2 for 15. Sometimes I'll hit a bird, know he's going down, but not dead and then shoot him again.
Good point.There are many variables in pheasant hunting. Wind, snow, cold, all effect shooting. Nobody shoots more than 8 out of 10 birds over the course of years.

Your first line is what I'm missing right now. With a rifle I believe I can do it. Wingshooting not at all. I am on a terrible missing streak because I've gotten back to the snapshooting of my youth (which you gotta do with ruffed grouse). Kobe told a WNBA player that there are no streaks--just the next shot. So I'm just going to believe that and keep trying to slow down.

My dog is still pissed at me, though.

I really have no idea what my percentages are but feel like they improve with the season length. Recognizing my shortcomings has increased my percentages though. I've figured out that I am not a good long shot shooter, so it's a rare thing for me to shoot past 30 yards. I hunt over two shorthairs, and prefer to shoot pointed birds. Most of my birds fall within 20 yards, that's why I shoot a skeet / IC choked gun. I also tend to shoot smaller shot because of that combo, which is pretty darn effective without shot up birds, which I despise worse than a miss. Thursday I was 50% on my first hunt of the year. Friday I spent all day in a mechanic shop with a brake line replumb for corroded lines. Saturday I was 75% . Sunday I was 100%. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Expecting to get humbled next trip out.

Your first line is what I'm missing right now. With a rifle I believe I can do it. Wingshooting not at all. I am on a terrible missing streak because I've gotten back to the snapshooting of my youth (which you gotta do with ruffed grouse). Kobe told a WNBA player that there are no streaks--just the next shot. So I'm just going to believe that and keep trying to slow down.

My dog is still pissed at me, though.
The other day, my dog worked this rooster in thick buck brush for 10 minutes!!He finally flushed, and I got a good look, and I missed him 4 times.I did not wound him, thank god. My dog gave me the ," how could you? look". God, my dog worked her butt off to get that bird to fly!! I dont like missing, but I really hate to miss those ones that work my lab.

The other day, my dog worked this rooster in thick buck brush for 10 minutes!!He finally flushed, and I got a good look, and I missed him 4 times.I did not wound him, thank god. My dog gave me the ," how could you? look". God, my dog worked her butt off to get that bird to fly!! I dont like missing, but I really hate to miss those ones that work my lab.
He just kept doubling back, and my dog was on him, but he knew where I was.Very smart bird, and probably several years old.

Back