New upland gun!

Been looking at o/u's for a while, in my price range there wasn't going to be anything of reasonable quality that I wouldn't want to replace in a couple years.

Happened across a gorgeous 1973 Auto 5 Light 12. Shot a few rounds thru it this morning after chasing teal and really instantly fell in love with the feel of the action and the sight picture.

My GSP is almost 6 months and has now been on 4 duck hunts. He has a lot of training to do, but he loves birds and couldn't care less about gunfire which is a great start.

I've had him on training quail a half dozen times, and with the exception of not whoa-ing super well I've been incredibly pleased with Tuff.

We are beyond excited for his first upland season, he is my first bird dog.

Attachments

• 20200906_154435.jpg
    20200906_154435.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 47
  • 20200906_154357.jpg
    20200906_154357.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 44
Nice Light 12. They do come up nice don't they. Only knock on the Auto 5 12's is the weight, even in the light model they are pushing 8 lbs. Good luck with the Auto 5 and your GSP.

Thanks!

I'm shooting a SBE 2 for my duck gun so the weight isn't a huge deal yet.

It does need a 16 and 20 gauge to keep it company-any ideas on how to break that news to my better half??? 🤣

Uh...lessee....get the other gauges, then make SURE you don't store them in the same place together. If she's not a hunter, she might just see the new ones as "his new gun."

A less devious approach is to say "My name is Hawkeyebowhunter and I am a gunaholic, but I'm working the program." Being caught in a "mis-statement" to a spouse is a dangerous thing.

Have fun. (and getting a 6 month old GSP to start whoa-ing at all is a considerable feat. Congrats.)

Hawk:

All three guns are an investment...not an expense. One day they will be sold as a trio and have more value than they do today.

Run this by her after she has had a couple of glasses of wine...

And hope...fervently hope...that she doesn't reply with something like: "You mean like an Estate sale?"

Have fun with the pup this season.

Great choice! I used to have a similar gun. I have had a particular interest and awe for firearms since childhood. I passed this love down to me from my father, a lifelong hunter who often took me with him. As I remember now, at the age of 14, I could disassemble and reassemble my father's Remington. Now I'm continuing his work, if I may say so. Every season my friends and I organize hunting trips to the woods. Every year my interest in this continues to grow. I have many guns in my arsenal, but the most basic is the Christensen Arms Mesa, which I bought here https://g4gguns.com/product/christensen-arms-mesa/. This gun has been in my possession for several years, and it has never once let me down.

Great choice! I used to have a similar gun. I have had a particular interest and awe for firearms since childhood. I passed this love down to me from my father, a lifelong hunter who often took me with him. As I remember now, at the age of 14, I could disassemble and reassemble my father's Remington. Now I'm continuing his work, if I may say so. Every season my friends and I organize hunting trips to the woods. Every year my interest in this continues to grow. I have many guns in my arsenal, but the most basic is the Christensen Arms Mesa, which I bought here https://g4gguns.com/product/christensen-arms-mesa/. This gun has been in my possession for several years, and it has never once let me down.
I have a brand new Beretta 692 Black 32" you can grow in to LOL.:):):ROFLMAO:(y).

If you like the A5 except for the weight, take a look at the Double Auto. There are several variations. Some had steel receivers and some had aluminum for lighter weight. They only hold two shells, but I never saw that as much of a disadvantage since I don't know if I have ever used the third shot from my A5. I mostly use an over-under for the simplicity and the two choke feature. Had my Citori Featherweight out this year and it did just as well as my old Superposed.

Jerry

Back