Ptarmigan Hunting

thewardenlaw

Hi All,

Anyone on here ever go for ptarmigan? I know it's only May, but I'm already feeling the itch to plan hunts this fall. I have a 3 year old GSP that loves to run and find birds. Looking for someone that wants to try the high elevations for ptarmigan, or any advice you have for finding them!

Hi All,

Anyone on here ever go for ptarmigan? I know it's only May, but I'm already feeling the itch to plan hunts this fall. I have a 3 year old GSP that loves to run and find birds. Looking for someone that wants to try the high elevations for ptarmigan, or any advice you have for finding them!

is there a huntable pop. in Colorado?

There is quite a few in Colorado, not the most intelligent or wary game bird but definitely worth hunting once and a while. Look for scree fields facing south and east with tarns below them. If they are around you will usually find feathers and droppings. When season is open for them its pretty rare to see one below 12,000' in elevation so you have to be in good shape to hunt them.

There is quite a few in Colorado, not the most intelligent or wary game bird but definitely worth hunting once and a while. Look for scree fields facing south and east with tarns below them. If they are around you will usually find feathers and droppings. When season is open for them its pretty rare to see one below 12,000' in elevation so you have to be in good shape to hunt them.

Interesting note about the tarn. Do they need water nearby?

Agree with Frangler. Hardest part by far is finding them. Hunting them otherwise isn't much fun, they are even "stupider" than Blues. Not all that tasty either, to be honest. I gave it up a decade back, but it's satisfying to say you've done it.

I don think they are near the tarns for water but the seeds that grow on the Sedge near it. It looks like small wild rice, There are usually lots of insects in those areas too. If you find a covey it's best to not beat them up by shooting a limit out of one covey.

Back