Survivors

Golden Hour

Below is a video I took a couple days ago. I shared it on Facebook (Pheasant Hunting Junkies), but thought some of you might appreciate it as well.

The fact that this bird can not only survive, but thrive, throughout SD's seasons is truly amazing. With strong northwest and southeast winds this winter, there wasn't a whole lot of space amongst the cattails to hide. The average winter drops 3 feet of snow where this video was taken and the last few winters have surpassed that by more than 20 inches. All that to say, there is a will and an instinct that this bird possesses that few other creatures possess. I have spent my life in and around pheasant hunting and the astonishment never ceases.

Now that I've given my contractual praise to the pheasants, let's all pray for good nesting conditions. I saw similar amounts of pheasants in 2019 as I did in 2018, both of which were good. An optimal nesting year will change those numbers to great. Not early 21st century awesome, but enough to keep my pup and I entertained and avoiding household chores. ;)

Last edited:
Spoke to my neighbor who watches my house over the winter and he saw the same kind of bird numbers, the problem is the crops still haven't been harvested on a lot farms and he has concerns that spring planting could face significant delays again this year. Two of our town roads washed out last year and they haven't been fixed yet which also hurts the farmers access to the their fields.

That is some good video and will keep us all fired up all until we hear the next report which is what.... winter survival? And then the broad count in August. Can't wait! Good thing there is lots of fishing to do between now and next December.

I have not gotten any reports from where we go yet but when i do, I will be sure to post. Thanks for your post Golden Hour. johns

That is some good video and will keep us all fired up all until we hear the next report which is what.... winter survival? And then the broad count in August. Can't wait! Good thing there is lots of fishing to do between now and next December.

I have not gotten any reports from where we go yet but when i do, I will be sure to post. Thanks for your post Golden Hour. johns

encouraging......need that dry, warm spring.

Just checking in on the SD thread and saw the title. After the virus blowup the title kinda got me concerned! lol Glad some birds are pulling through.

Back