First time in SW kansas

Due to time constraints and a new lease in the panhandle of Texas so we are foregoing our normal long trip to NW/NC Kansas.

Got an airbnb around Ulysses and gonna get it a shot for quail/pheasant on the opening weekend.

Any general tips/info for this area?

Thanks in advance!

I'll be out there that weekend. Just don't have much to offer. Haven't been that way myself for opening weekend in a few years. Good luck though you should find birds.

Got an airbnb around Ulysses and gonna get it a shot for quail/pheasant on the opening weekend.

Any general tips/info for this area?

Probably been 3 decades or a bit more since I hunted South of there around Hugoton. Good bird population back then but oh, man....the sandburs!

It was REALLY tough on the dogs unless you had good dog boots.

Had to watch picking up the pheasants too. They had the burs all over them. Had to wear some good leather gloves too.

Good luck! Hope they got all those sandburs under control by now.

Probably been 3 decades or a bit more since I hunted South of there around Hugoton. Good bird population back then but oh, man....the sandburs!

It was REALLY tough on the dogs unless you had good dog boots.

Had to watch picking up the pheasants too. They had the burs all over them. Had to wear some good leather gloves too.

Good luck! Hope they got all those sandburs under control by now.

that part of Kansas always has sand burrs.....many guys don't spray for them at all.

that part of Kansas always has sand burrs.....many guys don't spray for them at all.

I haven’t hunted Grant co for several years but in the past I always had good luck. I do know there is a very active pheasants forever chapter in Ulysses and they’ve done a lot of habitat projects and food plots. I wouldn’t worry about sand burrs I’ve only encountered them on a very few occasions and when I do I just move on to another field. On a positive note I am hearing favorable reports from neighboring counties. The only downside is that harvest is running behind so there will probably be some corn and milo still in the fields. That’s my .02 I’ll be out with my crew in Seward Co for the opener Good Luck

Dogman harvest here in Missouri is just starting for us as in we started today so you gave good sound advice

I haven’t hunted Grant co for several years but in the past I always had good luck. I do know there is a very active pheasants forever chapter in Ulysses and they’ve done a lot of habitat projects and food plots. I wouldn’t worry about sand burrs I’ve only encountered them on a very few occasions and when I do I just move on to another field. On a positive note I am hearing favorable reports from neighboring counties. The only downside is that harvest is running behind so there will probably be some corn and milo still in the fields. That’s my .02 I’ll be out with my crew in Seward Co for the opener Good Luck

Harvest is right on schedule. Always takes place after the wheat is drilled.

I've gone to SW Kansas for the opener going on 15 years. I am an "out of stater" and I hunt private, state and WIHA. Seen more quail coveys than pheasant last year. I have friends saying they are seeing better pheasant numbers this year. TIPS: Get your WIHA book out and pick an area. Don't discount the smaller tracks of land and the hard to get to spots. Try to scout some WIHA the day before. Have a plan A, B and C. Get up early and be on your spot before daylite. If you get to your first spot and someone is already parked on the area.... go to plan B etc etc etc. The traffic on opening weekend can be a PITA. But most of the small towns cater to the hunters and host Pancake breakfasts and Chicken Fry Dinners the night before and you will meet some great local people. Who knows you might even meet the right person and gain some private access. Some counties participate in a banded bird contest, so if you are lucky enough to put one in the bag call the number to report where it was shot and you will have a chance to win prizes and money. Me and two other hunting buddies each got a banded bird out of the same field. If you are staying in Ulysses and enjoy a good meal there is a great roadside bar and grill just down the road in Moscow. Trust me you cant miss it. LOL. GOOD LUCK!!!! ROOOOSTER!!!

I don't remember much walk in around there but haven't been in a couple years. They used to have a party night before opener down at Hugoton, might help you. BE SURE YOU HAVE PERMISSION. GOOD LUCK.

Back