Incoming storm

28gauge

With this storm rolling in from MT and WY those poor birds are going to take a hit. Big snow and wind. Not good. Say your prayers.:10sign. :( :(

I don’t think it will cause much for problems for the birds. There is tons of great cover including all the standing crops and the ground is still very warm so snow melt will be fast with temps set to warm up to the 50’s shortly after the snow stops falling. Just my 2 cents on it.

I’m still not sure what to think of the storm. Like Matt D said, the cover is great and the standing crops provide great habitat during winter weather. On the other hand though, there are still lots of young birds out there that may not yet be equipped to handle these conditions. I guess we will see.

Birds will be fine, it's a dress rehearsal for Jan/Feb. I'm more concerned about all the lodged corn the farmer is going to have to pick up.

Not the first time they have had an early snow storm.. Cold temps aren't going to last that long either. Plenty of food out there as well not like Jan/Feb.

They'll be fine. The thing that gets them this time of year (as well as springtime) is freezing rain. If they don't encounter freezing rain, they'll hardly be affected at all right now.

The weather forecast below looks to be detrimental.....let's pray it doesn't pan out.

Posted via Fair Use from the National Weather Service Sioux Falls Office(bold emphasis mine):

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Sioux Falls SD
446 AM CDT Thu Oct 10 2019

MNZ071-072-080-097-098-SDZ040-056-059>069-111000-
Lincoln-Lyon-Murray-Pipestone-Rock-Brookings-Moody-Davison-Hanson-
McCook-Minnehaha-Charles Mix-Douglas-Hutchinson-Turner-Bon Homme-
Yankton-
446 AM CDT Thu Oct 10 2019

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for southwest Minnesota, east
central South Dakota, south central South Dakota and southeast
South Dakota.

.DAY ONE...Today and tonight.

Periods of rain or drizzle, along with a few rumbles of thunder, are
expected today. This will transition to snow or freezing drizzle as
colder air spreads east across the region late today and tonight.
Minor snow accumulations and a light glaze of icing are possible.

Temperatures are expected to fall below freezing tonight, with wind
chills in the teens to lower 20s by daybreak Friday. You will want to
protect sensitive outdoor vegetation and take other precautions
against the sub-freezing temperatures.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Friday through Wednesday.

Areas of light snow will remain possible into Friday, though any
additional accumulation is expected to be less than a half inch.
Scattered snow or rain showers will be possible again on Saturday,
with little if any snow accumulation. In addition to the snow,
westerly winds will be gusting to 30 to 45 mph Friday and Saturday.

If you have any travel plans through Saturday, especially to the
north and west, you will want to continue monitoring the forecast and
latest road conditions before heading out.

Colder temperatures in the mid to upper 20s are likely Friday night,
effectively ending the growing season. Wind chills will remain in the
teens to lower 20s into Saturday morning.

lots of weeds in fields that didn't get planted...lots of standing corn...lots of good cover...first storm of the year, shouldn't be too hard on them...time will tell...

2 years ago I hunted SD in December and the weather went from 65* to 4* overnight and snowed too. The week was bitterly cold and windy. In all honesty, we probably moved 1500 Pheasants in 5 days. Had the time of my life with our oldest son there.

The worst day Pheasant hunting in SD is better than an entire banner season in Michigan.

We will be back in about 2 weeks to give it another try with both our boys this time.

Last edited:
lots of weeds in fields that didn't get planted...lots of standing corn...lots of good cover...first storm of the year, shouldn't be too hard on them...time will tell...

There is a ton of thick cover everywhere and they dont need to move much to get into food either. The field conditions couldn't be better for them to weather the storm.

West of Watertown, we got a foot of snow and there is standing water everywhere. Snow should be gone by Wednesday if all goes as foretasted. Opening weekend is temps should be in the 50's. So what can you expect... Don't expect much corn to be harvested. Maybe a little silage and wet corn will be done but 95% of the corn will be in the field. Soybeans maybe 10 to 15% will be harvested and the farmers will be chopping on the bit to get them combined as soon as the ground is dry enough to roll. Expect every ditch to and every low spot to have standing water or be extremely soft.

Pheasants made it through the storm fine. Expect them to be in the corn and thick cover. If you have the chance to scout, observe CRP next to standing corn at about 5pm in my area you will see the birds fly to the CRP at almost the exact spot everyday plus or minus 20 minutes. Oh and expect a few more raccoons and skunks. WE have had a ton of frogs this summer which always led to more rodents. Just my two cents SDViking

My report from Sat and Sun was abysmal. FiL hunted both days at public land that was lights out last year...saw and killed a single rooster. He's praying they are in the corn.

Back