Gordon Setter

Dakotazeb

Molly, the Gordon Setter I was going to buy but decided not to is for sale. She is a 4 year old pretty much fully trained field bred Gordon. She is about 21.5" and 43 lbs. Molly has been raised in the house with their young daughter. She is a real sweetheart.

The owner posted the following on FaceBook.

Tallgrass Miss Molly, JH for sale. Has received a placement in an AKC Open Puppy stake. Points, retrieves, backs (my other dogs), very responsive to commands, she's steady to wing and shot in training on pigeons but not when hunting wild birds. Cautious around birds and points them way back. Gentleman's shooting dog. OFA "good". CCA negative, Spayed. No known health issues. Hunting homes only.

She is going to make someone a very nice dog. Molly is located in Boise, ID.

If you want more info please send me a PM and I'll get you the owners contact information.

Last edited:
Much to my amazement this Gordon Setter is still available. Man, if someone wants a companion and hunting dog this is the real deal. Where are you ever going to be able to get a fully trained dog like this for $1,500??? The owner says that Molly MUST go to a hunting home.

George: I read the profile on the Setter; "not steady on wild birds". And points "way back." Do you feel these traits need correction? Wonder how the dog performs on wild birds? Just curious...

George: I read the profile on the Setter; "not steady on wild birds". And points "way back." Do you feel these traits need correction? Wonder how the dog performs on wild birds? Just curious...

That probably needs a little clarification. Molly is steady through the flush. She is also steady at the shot with a starter pistol on planted birds. She is just not steady to shot on wild birds in an actual hunting situation. Probably wouldn't take much to get her steady to both wing and shot. As far as his comment on pointing a ways back. He did say she is very cautious and does not crowd the bird to create a wild flush. She has been hunted a great deal on wild birds. The owner has Chukars, Sharptails and Huns out his back door. She has also been hunted on pheasants in North Dakota. This dog was raised in the house with their young daughter and is just a big lover. The owner will only sell her to someone that will have her in the house and someone that does a fair amount of hunting. This is a beautiful dog that will make some hunter proud. If I was 10-15 year younger she would be living with me already. But at this stage of life one dog is enough for me.

Here is the owners web site. If someone is interested you can call Tom and visit with him.
http://tallgrassgordonsetters.com/

Thanks, George - good summary. Sounds like a great dog; hopefully she will find a suitable home.

Know what you mean about taking on a new dog in our "senior years" . My Max is 7 in Sept. and I turn 80 in January. Not sure another dog is in my future.

Cheers,

Jon

Back