Wild Pheasant Numbers

I'm glad to hear the good news. Sally let us know how you do and what you see out there.

Along those lines; Earlier this week a gentlemen brought some birds by the shop. Some how the conversation moved from Illinois access/public land issues to Texas and Oklahoma pheasants.

He used to hunt around the panhandle for pheasants (pre-drought). According to him, the bird numbers were very good.

I'm glad to hear the good news. Sally let us know how you do and what you see out there.

Along those lines; Earlier this week a gentlemen brought some birds by the shop. Some how the conversation moved from Illinois access/public land issues to Texas and Oklahoma pheasants.

He used to hunt around the panhandle for pheasants (pre-drought). According to him, the bird numbers were very good.

Bird numbers were really good in the 80's. Borderline great, I would say. We hunted in Hale county, around the town of Plainview. Believe it or not, we did a lot of hunting in unharvested cotton fields, and there were plenty of pheasants in them. Oh how I wish the bird numbers would return to those levels. Not gonna happen though.
In '88 we started hunting in Lamb county, just to the west of Hale. Not as many birds as around Plainview, but still plenty.
We still hunt in Lamb county, because there are tons of quail. Mostly Bobs, but some Blues too. But there are no pheasant left there now. We never flush a single one while quail hunting. Never see one from the road while driving between spots. It's pretty sad.
But the quail numbers are astounding, and I'm thankful for that!

Believe it or not, we did a lot of hunting in unharvested cotton fields, and there were plenty of pheasants in them.

I believe it. A few years back I posted some videos of wild pheasants (a lot of them!) coming out of cotton fields in Mexico. I'll see if I can find it. It may bring back some memories of hunting such fields:D

By the way, are there areas where pheasants live in Denmark? Just curious.

Nick

I believe it. A few years back I posted some videos of wild pheasants (a lot of them!) coming out of cotton fields in Mexico. I'll see if I can find it. It may bring back some memories of hunting such fields:D

By the way, are there areas where pheasants live in Denmark? Just curious.

Nick

I found that video and checked it out. Very cool!

There are good numbers of pheasant here in Denmark. I see them while driving quite a bit, and also when I'm out fishing for sea-run brown trout on the coastline. There are a lot of released birds, but there are wild ones too, because I do see hens with broods in the spring/early-summer.
There are Huns here too, and I see a few from time to time.

I don't bother hunting here. It's quite a process to obtain a hunting license. No public hunting opportunities whatsoever.
The guys I know here who hunt are members of a club, and they go on several scheduled hunts each Fall. Mostly big group hunts, 15 guys or so. Not my cup of tea at all.
I prefer just to make 2 or 3 trips back to the US in the Fall/Winter, and do all my hunting there. Another 3 and half years and I'll be moving back to the US to stay, and I'll get to do a whole lot more hunting than I've been able to do the past 20+ years.

Back