Crops

I Know a lot of people are wondering about what crops are on and off in North Dakota. In Central ND about 30 miles east of Bismarck, this is what I saw and a couple farmers told me (I was there two days ago oct 11-14th). this [ast weekend and this week has been a great week for combining and a lot was done. Most got their beans Of last weekend into early this week. Most people were starting on there Sun flowers this week and into next week. And most said the corn was close. Both said the corn would be coming off oct 20-30th. of course weather could change all this. But most thought sunflowers would be off by this weekend, to early next week. and then they would go right into their corn.

hope this helps
Jim

Yeah, the weather has been perfect for drying and harvesting. I just came across on I94. Beens are going out fast, didn't see any combines in the Sunflowers. They look very green still.
The corn had froze hard, that should help out with drying, so far the only corn harvested that I saw was Silage.

That was my impression too. There seemed to be more corn further west than I can remember and it looked like it did really well this year. With the low prices, I would expect most people will leave it standing as long as they feel they can to let it dry. From what I have read, the bins still have last years corn in them because the RRs are tied up hauling oil.

Jerry

I Talked to a farmer today, He is a little east of Bismarck 15-20 miles south of I-94. He finished all of his beans last Tuesday 10/14 (200 acres). He is going to finish his last 100 acres of sunflowers today (600 total acres). He has harvested 180 acres of corn so far. He will start the rest corn today (1800 acres). Some is ready now some wont be ready for a couple days. Said he will be done with all corn by next Wednesday if weather HOLDS UP. I talk to two other farmers in the area they had a similar time line. The corn has been running 16-17 Moisture (if that helps anyone).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
That was my impression too. There seemed to be more corn further west than I can remember and it looked like it did really well this year. With the low prices, I would expect most people will leave it standing as long as they feel they can to let it dry. From what I have read, the bins still have last years corn in them because the RRs are tied up hauling oil.

Jerry

Guys that I talked to in North Dakota all 3 said, when the corn is ready they take it. A lot of risk in ND for waiting, weather changes too quickly. other states they can risk letting it "dry Down" ND its not worth the risk.

Hope this helps.

The corn has been running 16-17 Moisture (if that helps anyone).

Hope this helps.

Surprised that it is that dry already. A lot of what I saw didn't even have the cobs tipped down yet. Maybe that isn't an indicator.

I know what you mean by the weather changing quickly. I remember one year when we hunted in t-shirts Friday afternoon and got snowed on Sunday evening. It was quite pleasant this year except for the 35 - 45 mph winds on Thursday.

Jerry

I'd bet with the weather we've had and are having the combines are in the corn.

On a side note. I can'e believe all the wheat and Soybeans that are piled up on the ground. Bins are full, elevators are full.
Ethanol plants have a LOT of storage for the corn.

I'd bet with the weather we've had and are having the combines are in the corn.

On a side note. I can'e believe all the wheat and Soybeans that are piled up on the ground. Bins are full, elevators are full.
Ethanol plants have a LOT of storage for the corn.

I just read an article yesterday. talking about how all the railcars are being used for oil, and that they are having a tuff time getting rail cars to transport crops.

The railcars that haul oil are not the same as the cars that haul grain, but you are right the oil industry is impacting...

Frac Sand uses the grain hopper cars and they pay better than the grain companies. There is some super frac projects out there and if they work the demand for hopper cars will grow.

The railcars that haul oil are not the same as the cars that haul grain, but you are right the oil industry is impacting...

Frac Sand uses the grain hopper cars and they pay better than the grain companies. There is some super frac projects out there and if they work the demand for hopper cars will grow.

Sorry, yes you are right. It had to do more with that their weren't enough locamotives and the railways were too conjested with all the oil cars. that was the reason for the slowdown in grain shipments, not the actual cars being used. Sorry for not clarifying.

Just got back from central ND today. Largest part of beans are off. Only corn cut was silage corn. We did pretty good though!

They need to get a pipeline put in to bring some of that natural gas from the Bakken to corn country. That would reduce the drying cost and they could pick it sooner. I just read that they are flaring off 25% of the gas yet.

Jerry

Back