Nov. 1 st hunt

steele

I hunted for 4 hours jumped 2 roosters and 2 hens and bagged a young rooster. The cover is heavy do to lots of rain this summer. My dogs are old 11 and 11.5 years old. They hunted poorly. They acted birdy but didn t follow up. I hunted the Circleville area.

Sounds like a good days hunt with ole friends! Do you think those birds where wild?

I hunted today for about two hours and the only time the dog pointed was a meadow lark. Bird numbers are very low in our area. I have not shot a bird in Ohio the last two years. Very sad. I have two young setters and no wild birds to hunt.:(

Definitely wild birds. Yeah we have pitiful bird numbers. Ther s a few out there. I have 2 young dogs I need to get going. Pheasant habitat in Ohio is much more difficult to hunt than those wispy brome grass fields back west(except cattails they are difficult). My old dogs couldn t cut it.

Definitely wild birds. Yeah we have pitiful bird numbers. Ther s a few out there. I have 2 young dogs I need to get going. Pheasant habitat in Ohio is much more difficult to hunt than those wispy brome grass fields back west(except cattails they are difficult). My old dogs couldn t cut it.

Yes a few still left. I know where some are but no chance at getting to hunt them. I saw some nice fields of warm season grasses around the area you hunt on my way to Nelsonville three weeks ago. A little to far to go without knowing who owns them, but did look good. Well got my pheasants forever banquet tickets today and still will keep at it and hope things gets better.:cheers:

hunted released birds on Friday and Saturday. 7 Flushes Friday and 2 on Saturday. Dog worked well but know what you mean about getting older. at 9 years old I can see for the first time his age starting to show. Not so much while in the field but the recovery time is greater for him.

Im from the circleville area and there are some birds in pockets. used to flush a handfull every time out of the all but gone fence rows. The DNR doesnt care about the birds, We might as well let them plant trees in the public upland areas for the deer since thats all they care about.

Gobucks,several years ago in a question and answer column in GUN DOG magazine a fellow asked what did the author think of how the Ohio DNR managed upland bird hunting. The answer They cant even spell UPLAND BIRDS!!!! NUFF SAID Scotty:mad:

Back