I want to throw up

RedNose

My lab, Gus, in my opinion has a torn ligament in his right rear leg. We went to our normal clinic and the vet said nothing was wrong. Limping getting worse if he plays and romps like he likes to do. Gus and I have had great times together and I was looking forward to at least 3 more season with him before I figured he's be a couch potato.

We are going to go to another vet. My wife's orthopedic surgeon for her hand has a brother that is a vet in a clinic that has great reviews so it's off to there to see if my guess is correct.

Now if it is a ligament I am not going to do surgery, we did that on a Rott a few years back and it went well but I just don't have the $$$ to do this any more, so here are two options I am putting into my head to see if they are good or just BS.
1. get an orthotic for Gus. I see plenty of places that sell them and some get good review and some get bad. Can a hunting dog function in an orthotic?

2. Suck it up, but a small boat, and engine and just do water fowl.

Gus is one of the nicest dogs I've owned, I just wish labs were a durable as my old Red Nose Pit Bull was before had her stroke.

This is RedNose signing off with a heavy heart...:(
I signed up for instand email on the subject

I dont see how he can live for the next 5 years or so with a torn ccl. Opt for the tightrope if nothing else. Try a vet school for a reduced cost or something.

Since youre just in the lower 48 I cant recommend anyone nearby, sorry

best of luck. Ive been through 2 ccl's on the same dog in the past 15 months. He's 6 now. I didnt think I had the money either. Almost doesnt matter where you are - it will be cheaper than the Chicagoland area.

What is tight rope?
We actually live within a couple hours drive of of Pullman, WA where there is a vet school.

Last edited:
Thank you.
Scott

Latural sutures is the least expensive ,and there is a program "Care Credit" That allows you to pay them back at alittle at a time,,,,, Look into it,
Good luck

Kevin

Well, the trip to the vet was some what better than I was expecting. Did the exam and said this:
Ligament is not torn through, meniscus is torn but he feels that with a complete month of VERY calm activity and anti-inflammatory meds Gus may skate the knife. He told me that a dog's system can disolve the torn meniscus material and life goes on, unlike a human with the same pronblem. After the month is up I go in for another exam, then he'd like to see lots of swimming and very little hard core land exercise etc.

He told me that he's personally done close to 1000 dog joints in his career and that Gus is a good candidate to avoid the operation IF we follow the advice given. He also stated that Gus was in very good physical condition! Which made me feel well as I work on my fitness daily if possible.
So far Gus believes he is in heaven as there is not a time in the day that he goes out without me or my wife and he really likes us to be with him.
I am going to save this thread so I can up date everyone that was kind enough to reply. I want to thank each and everyone of you for your kindness.

God Bless
Scott

Last edited:
Great news.

Now, try to explain the inactivity to the dog. Young Bert wanted to bound around after the initial pain subsided. We had looong talks.

My very best wishes.

I don't understand your comment here on how you can't see how he could live for 5 more years. My Lab just blew out her ligament in her back left leg in November, the night we were packing the vehicle to go hunting in SD just like we do every year. She really tore it badly. I could not afford surgery, and went the conservative route and tried to rest her for 12 weeks. I did that to no avail, although it is much better than it was. Although she can't run or go hunting, she without a doubt can still go fishing with me, go camping with the family, hang out in the yard, etc. They are very resilient and have such a heart. She is doing fine, we just can't do all the things we were doing before she tore the ligament. I hate it that I can't take her for walks yet every night after work, and take her to the park to run with her buddy lab every weekend. But, she's definately going to be around for a few more years and I'll make her as happy as I can. She deserves it..... She provided me with so many memories hunting the past 8.5 years.......

I dont see how he can live for the next 5 years or so with a torn ccl. Opt for the tightrope if nothing else. Try a vet school for a reduced cost or something.

Since youre just in the lower 48 I cant recommend anyone nearby, sorry

best of luck. Ive been through 2 ccl's on the same dog in the past 15 months. He's 6 now. I didnt think I had the money either. Almost doesnt matter where you are - it will be cheaper than the Chicagoland area.

Well the rehab was doing well but Gus turned out to be sensitive to Rimadyl and it nearly killed him. So far the bill is in the 1911 Kimber range...
The first three days of his apparent liver failure he & I spent every evening sleeping 1 to 1.5 hours & then it was up to throw up, pee and later on as the Rimadyl left his system and other drugs & herbs kicked in to poop.

All I can say is F***... Gus is better now as far near death goes. He is eating his hepatic diet(which he hates but we put organic chicken broth on it). We go in for blood tests Tuesday, 10 April, hopefully the number are crashing.

All I can say right now about the knee is it is on the back burner and Gus's health comes first. As soon as water temps come up I'm going to start him swimming, I hope every other day if I can. Trouble is most of the water I live next to is full of heavy metals, dioxin, etc. (we live in eastern WA for the present near Long Lake which is part of the Spokane River), so I'm paranoid about prolonged contact with the water. My wife used to white water guide on this river system as well as on the flat waters of the Little Spokane and all the guides would develop rashes on that water system only. Weird.

A lot has happened

OK after Gus recovered from the NASIDs near death experience we went ahead with the knee surgery. April 20th to be exact. He's been in swimming once last Saturday, we bought a 100 gal horse trough for swimming while I am away on a trip. he is supposed to stay on a leash and in his octagon kennel until September.
We figure on swimming twice a week for the first month then slowly increasing it. His leg has atrophied a lot but from what I read this is to be expected. I remember my leg getting all wimpy looking after I had my knee scooped after showing my heavy weights a shooting drill during wrestling practice.

The best part of the surgery was going in for his pre-op exam on the 18th and getting in a 4 car pile up in front of the vets office. I of course got sandwiched and the guy's insurance company that caused the pile up got smart mouthed with me three times, so I hired an ambulance chaser to give them a rough time. Gus was shaken up during the accident but the vet's people came right over and took him in without so much as a question. (no charge for kenneling him for the day and they also did a thorough exam on him to make sure he was OK after the accident)

Anyway, thanks to all you guys for the advice on Gus and his knee. I hope he and I can be in SD this fall

Hope the rehab continues smoothly.
With the luck you have had, I would not waist any money on loto tickets :cheers:

Well, Gus went in to see the vet about a week ago and he is doing OK. We have been swimming as much as my wife allows. (she told me that I don't follow doc's orders good enough when it involves me so she was going to make sure Gus did not get over worked and I guess she has been correct).
I was looking at SD for hunting this year but with the way the license is set up you have a week then another week I guess I'll try Montana again. I'll buy a season license and hunt every other day or if need be every third day for two weeks or so and then return home to clean the camper and truck out, get set for substitute teaching and ski season(Alpine and Nordic...I am volunteering my labor this summer for a season pass).
Gus's leg is looking fairly good, muscle tone is coming back, this attitude has been very good, but he is mischievous has hell. Loves to steal our slippers, socks, etc., and stay just outside of hand range to give them back. I know he is bored as heck but that is the nature of the beast to full recovery.
My recovery is doing OK. The neck is still sore now and then but at 61 I did not expect to come on back like I would of at 20 something.
Take care folks and happy hunting to all.
Scott aka RedNose

Hang in there Scott . . . you're both miles ahead of where you were. Prayers your way.

My 12 yr old lab (also named Gus) tore his acl in his left rear leg when he was 2. Like you, I didn't have the $1200? for the surgery. However, he hunted just fine till he was 10, and was ready for retirement. At time, I had a younger black female that was trained and ready to take his place.

On a young dog, and the funds available, I would get the surgery. On an older dog, it might not be worth it.................

Here's my Story too GSP with partially torn achilles

Her's the link to my blog with the whole story.... Kind of long to copy an post so if you want to read the whole story THe link is in my signature..

Synopsis- two vets agree partially torn Achilles in left rear No surgery just immobilzation in cast for/splint 8-10 weeks then slowly bring him back to full activity.. So far so good...We are planning SD in Late October /Early November

Glad to hear things are going OK Scott! Keep it up !
Im sure your vet told you how high the % is for the other side to blow as well.... :(

Back