Zeb is moving!!

The Boys have been texting me all the time the last month or so asking when we're going back to SD to hunt? Important note...the question wasn't "IF" it was "when". That's fine.

I'm tickled they had such a good time they want to go back. My intention was to start a "Family Tradition" that carries on long after I'm gone. We also have two good pups this year that will be fun watch. I think this year I'll be the "Video" guy to take some pictures for us.

I'm at an age where I really enjoy watching the dogs work and the boys excitement. You know, the big eyes and those huge smiles and screams of joy. I can't get enough of that.

I know you will enjoy the same things when your grandson or granddaughter is ready. The tough part is having to be patient until that time comes.

I was reading another thread yesterday that discussed how young was to you young. My son would cry his eyes out when I went out the door to go hunting. He was 4 at the time. So I would take him with me almost everywhere I went hunting....within reason. He started at 4 years old carrying his plastic Winchester everywhere he went. It was great. I used every opportunity to teach safety and the do's and don'ts of respect and conservation. (Growing up on a Beef and Quarter Horse farm I realize how important respect is.) Some might think that's extreme or have the the "ya right" prospective, but that's how it was and we learned together. We were building a bond that I didn't quite realize until some time later.

Sometimes my son would correct my hunting partner of 32 years and all I could do was laugh. Most of the time he was right. We would just get complacent. My friends would call him "Little Aldo" as in Leopold.

Some of the questions the young ones ask shouldn't be missed. I can't tell you how many times I've almost rolled out of our ground blind laughing so hard I couldn't see with the tears in my eyes.

Our son was a late in life miracle that was never to be possible. (Doctors don't know everything!!) I'm older than 95% of the Dads out there with 12 year olds. But....I have a different sense of priorities and appreciation at this age than I might have if I were much younger.

I'm finished rambling now. Maybe some time when we're out that way we could have a Coffee or even hunt a little.

Ric

I hunt both Watertown and Aberdeen areas for many years. Big differenece! Especially the past few years. You will need to go west at least 50 miles to get good hunting. I still hunt Watertown area because of good farms and friends I have there. I pretty much live at the Super 8 in Watertown in the fall.

I hunt both Watertown and Aberdeen areas for many years. Big differenece! Especially the past few years. You will need to go west at least 50 miles to get good hunting. I still hunt Watertown area because of good farms and friends I have there. I pretty much live at the Super 8 in Watertown in the fall.

But there is a big difference in living here and coming from out of state to hunt. The majority of non-resident hunters weigh success on the number of birds harvested because they only have a limited amount of time to hunt. Living here and being retired I'm able to take the dogs out to a public area for 2-3 hours any day of the week, maybe harvest a bird of two (sometimes I get none) and still have a great time. So the difference for me between Aberdeen and Watertown won't be a big deal. Besides, I grew up in Canby, MN (45 minutes from Watertown) and I go back there and hunt a few times a year with some friends. It will be real convenient now. Plus I have plenty of private land to hunt in MN. And a high school classmate that owns land in both MN & SD. I'll still get back to the Aberdeen area for a few hunts.

Listed my house on Tuesday and sold it last night. Full price, cash offer!! We will be closing and moving the last week in September so I'll be in Watertown for this year's season. Anyone in the Watertown area wanting to hunt or that can recommend some places, please let me know.

Congrats on the quick sale, DZ. You must have a nice house and realistically priced. Plus the economy in SoDak is miles better than Michigan right now.:mad:

NB

Right on, that was quick. Enjoy the move LOL--I moved so many times I even hate the thought.

Right on, that was quick. Enjoy the move LOL--I moved so many times I even hate the thought.

It's been 13 years since I moved. This will probably be the last until they roll me into either a nursing home or the morgue. :) Just hoping it doesn't screw up my pheasant hunting this year.

You getting the boy's togeather or hiring a mover?

I'm hiring it done. Too old to be carrying furniture, etc. I still could do it but I'd probably be in traction for a month afterward. :D

But there is a big difference in living here and coming from out of state to hunt. The majority of non-resident hunters weigh success on the number of birds harvested because they only have a limited amount of time to hunt. Living here and being retired I'm able to take the dogs out to a public area for 2-3 hours any day of the week, maybe harvest a bird of two (sometimes I get none) and still have a great time. So the difference for me between Aberdeen and Watertown won't be a big deal. Besides, I grew up in Canby, MN (45 minutes from Watertown) and I go back there and hunt a few times a year with some friends. It will be real convenient now. Plus I have plenty of private land to hunt in MN. And a high school classmate that owns land in both MN & SD. I'll still get back to the Aberdeen area for a few hunts.

@Dakotazeb. Non resident hunters are the only reason that pheasants and poheasant hunting has been so prosperous in South Dakota for so many years. Without "non-resident" and fellow Minnesotan (Dennis Anderson) starting Pheasants Forever in 1983, the facts show that the population of birds would be so low in South Dakota and other popular pheasant hunting states due to several reasons including but not limited to, no CRP, no money to purchase land for publich hunting, walk in areas, wildlife management areas, youth hunts, sponsored handicap guided hunts, that list goes on and on. furthermore and most important us "non-resident" hunters wouldn't be making 1, 2 up to 6 trips in a season to South Dakota to spend OUR money in your hotels, restuarants, sporting goods stores, grocery stores, gas stations, liqupr stores/bars, etc.

Instead of ripping on non-resident hunters, or not taking advice from someone who is offering up, I challenge to you embrace non-resident hunters. The next time you see someone pull up to the Other Place restaurant in Watertown with Minnesota licence plates when they walk in shake their hand, thank them for coming and wish them good luck on their hunt!

@Dakotazeb. Non resident hunters are the only reason that pheasants and poheasant hunting has been so prosperous in South Dakota for so many years. Without "non-resident" and fellow Minnesotan (Dennis Anderson) starting Pheasants Forever in 1983, the facts show that the population of birds would be so low in South Dakota and other popular pheasant hunting states due to several reasons including but not limited to, no CRP, no money to purchase land for publich hunting, walk in areas, wildlife management areas, youth hunts, sponsored handicap guided hunts, that list goes on and on. furthermore and most important us "non-resident" hunters wouldn't be making 1, 2 up to 6 trips in a season to South Dakota to spend OUR money in your hotels, restuarants, sporting goods stores, grocery stores, gas stations, liqupr stores/bars, etc.

Instead of ripping on non-resident hunters, or not taking advice from someone who is offering up, I challenge to you embrace non-resident hunters. The next time you see someone pull up to the Other Place restaurant in Watertown with Minnesota licence plates when they walk in shake their hand, thank them for coming and wish them good luck on their hunt!

bang bang bang, I think you better go back and re-read this entire thread. You have totally (100%) mis-interpreted the post you quoted. In no way, shape or form did I rip non-residents. What my post was referring to was the fact I'm moving from Aberdeen to Watertown and someone said there was a big difference in the pheasant hunting between Aberdeen & Watertown. and that may be the case. But what I was pointing out was that for me being a resident I can still get out daily if I want and if I only shoot 1-2 birds instead of 3 it's no big deal. However when NR's come out, especially the ones that make this their only pheasant hunt of the year, they generally want to have more opportunity to shoot a limit each day. Not everyone but most.

I embrace non-resident hunters and try to help them as much as possible. There are several NR members on this site that will attest to that. After you re-read this thread I would like to see an apology posted. I'm terribly offended by your post!

Dakota Zeb, as a non-resident hunter I understood perfectly what you were stating. Certainly when I travel 8-9 hrs, which I do, to South Dakota I expect to get into massive amounts of birds. If i wanted to only have 1-2 opportunities to shoot, i could do that in Kansas. I don't know were he thought you were bashing NR, I have found you to be helpful to most on here without regard to state of residence.

I welcome and love having NR hunters come to town except when they are d**ks and think I owe them something for coming. If you want to come and have a good time and enjoy the experience, great. If you want your a** kissed stay home!

You obviously don't know who Dakotazeb is. I have witnessed him helping numerous non-residents on this site with questions, help with accommodation, pointing them in the right direction for possibly a more successful opportunity, Etc, Etc, Etc...He's a class act in every way. You might want to recant that post.

I welcome and love having NR hunters come to town except when they are d**ks and think I owe them something for coming. If you want to come and have a good time and enjoy the experience, great. If you want your a** kissed stay home!

...........................................................:)

Non resident hunters are the only reason that pheasants and poheasant hunting has been so prosperous in South Dakota for so many years. Without "non-resident" and fellow Minnesotan (Dennis Anderson) starting Pheasants Forever in 1983, the facts show that the population of birds would be so low in South Dakota and other popular pheasant hunting states due to several reasons including but not limited to, no CRP, no money to purchase land for publich hunting, walk in areas, wildlife management areas, youth hunts, sponsored handicap guided hunts, that list goes on and on.

I'd sure like to know where this information came from. Where are the sources to substantiate this claim? This is a pretty broad statement. I agree that Pheasants Forever, other conservation groups, CRP, etc. have help increase the pheasant population in South Dakota and other states. But what's your point? Are you jealous of SD and other states that have more birds than MN?

Let me give you some facts. I grew up in SW Minnesota where the pheasant hunting back in the 50's and 60's was very good. I moved to South Dakota in 1978 before PF and there were good numbers of birds. Far superior to Minnesota. Heck, go back in time to when pheasants were first introduced to SD and surrounding states. I think SD has always had greater numbers of pheasants than any other state. I'm not bragging, just stating the facts.

Guess I'm just at a loss for what you were trying to say in your post other than accuse me of ripping the NR's. Which I think you have seen from some of the subsequent posts is about as far from the truth a you can get. Want to try and explain yourself?? :rolleyes:

NR Pheaant Hunter

Went during Thanksgiving break last year. Stopped in Watertown for lic n shells. Guys in the sporting goods store were friendly AND helpful. They provided some areas, and direction to help get us started. Thought that was a nice touch on there part, especially after driving 15hrs.

Please don't tell him Corey and I are non-resident hunters. He planned to have coffee w/ us and I'm sure he was going to either offer to go out w/ us or give us advice by the way he talked:rolleyes::D

After you re-read this thread I would like to see an apology posted. I'm terribly offended by your post!

Zeb
I quess some people don't like the taste of Crow. I don't see a Apology yet

Back