Zeb is moving!!

Dakotazeb

Yep, the wife and I are going to move from Aberdeen to Watertown. We have purchased a home in Watertown but don't have an exact closing date yet. We are meeting with the sellers this week to see what kind of time table we can work out. Of course we have to sell our home in Aberdeen but I don't anticipate that being a problem. Not sure if the move will happen before, during or after the fall hunting season. If I have anything to say about it, it won't be during the season. But???

We've talked about this move for several years so we are more centrally located and closer to children and grandchildren. It's also a lot more convenient to get to Sioux Falls, Fargo, Twin Cities, etc. The down side is the pheasant hunting probably isn't quite a good and I'll have to find some new places. But Aberdeen is still only 2 hours away and I can run back there a few times if needed. I'll only be 45 miles from my hometown of Canby, MN where I do hunt a couple times a year and have private land to get on.

Anybody l ooking for a house in Aberdeen, SD?

I think if you are willing to hit the frozen cattails you should be able to get birds.

I think if you are willing to hit the frozen cattails you should be able to get birds.

With two Brittanys I don't like hunting cattails. I prefer large CRP areas where my Britts can get out and cover some ground.

I can understand that. I think there is a lot of wetter areas up there.

Zeb,
Congrats on the move, but I think you are giving up a lot when it comes to bird population. You will probably "have" to hunt all day now to get a limit. Your dogs will really enjoy getting to actually hunt more than two or three hours a day.:D

Good luck on the move! I have been moving as well but only a couple of miles and it's the pits. Hope you have a lot of friends...:D

Aberdeen/Watertown are they not the same, you know in that OTHER part of SD. LOL:)

Hope it all works out for you and oh yea glad its you and not me--I've moved for the last time when I moved here.

With two Brittanys I don't like hunting cattails. I prefer large CRP areas where my Britts can get out and cover some ground.

Oh Yeah!! Now you got me thinking about Montana. :cheers:

Oh Yeah!! Now you got me thinking about Montana. :cheers:

I talked to a guy from Savage, MT at our last NSTRA trial. He said the birds really took a hit this past winter with all the snow. I was tinking about going out there in Sept. but he rrecommended that I wait a year.

Moving rule #1 - Don't move!
Moving rule #2 - Pack what you don't need and move it first so that the stuff you do need does not get blocked in by the stuff you don't...I know that makes no sense but trust me on that one.
Moving rule #3 - Don't ever move again...or pay someone to do it for you!
Moving rule #4 - If spouse wants a bigger house again...shoot her...claim justifiable homicide...go to court...claim insanity...move into a 6x8 with three hots and a cot and call it good!

This will be the last move before the nursing home. :) And at age 65 I'm having a moving company come in and do the heavy work. There is one upside to moving, it makes you clean out and throw away all the stuff you havent used in years. Already started that process.

I talked to a guy from Savage, MT at our last NSTRA trial. He said the birds really took a hit this past winter with all the snow. I was tinking about going out there in Sept. but he rrecommended that I wait a year.

Doesn't sound good out there. The Yellow Stone River country has some of the best Wintering cover in MT. Hate to see what happened in the big grass country.
I'm heading out there in Sept, I'll let you know.

Congrats George, I hope you both love your new home.

Onpoint

This will be the last move before the nursing home. :) And at age 65 I'm having a moving company come in and do the heavy work. There is one upside to moving, it makes you clean out and throw away all the stuff you havent used in years. Already started that process.

So you will live at this place for 2 years is all?:D

Yep, the wife and I are going to move from Aberdeen to Watertown. We have purchased a home in Watertown but don't have an exact closing date yet. We are meeting with the sellers this week to see what kind of time table we can work out. Of course we have to sell our home in Aberdeen but I don't anticipate that being a problem. Not sure if the move will happen before, during or after the fall hunting season. If I have anything to say about it, it won't be during the season. But???

We've talked about this move for several years so we are more centrally located and closer to children and grandchildren. It's also a lot more convenient to get to Sioux Falls, Fargo, Twin Cities, etc. The down side is the pheasant hunting probably isn't quite a good and I'll have to find some new places. But Aberdeen is still only 2 hours away and I can run back there a few times if needed. I'll only be 45 miles from my hometown of Canby, MN where I do hunt a couple times a year and have private land to get on.

Anybody l ooking for a house in Aberdeen, SD?

So this means I may get you for gunning and training. 1 hr away I believe:thumbsup:

So you will live at this place for 2 years is all?:D

I challenge you to come out here and hunt with me. We'll see if you can keep up. :)

Zeb is moving

Zeb,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new home. After all, as you said you will be closer to family especially those grand children. There's an opportunity to get some of those youngsters out in the weeds with a dog and build the memories they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.

I understand what some were saying regarding the birds in the Aberdeen area. Last year we were discouraged when we wanted to come to Aberdeen for our first SD Hunting trip. Thankfully someone one on this site was gracious enough to invite us to the Aberdeen area. We had the time of our lives.

I took my 12 year old son and my two young nephews 18 and 20. They talk about our trip all the time. Take the time to build those memories. They can't be replaced.

I wish you the best of luck.

Ric

Last edited:
Zeb,

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new home. After all, as you said you will be closer to family especially those grand children. There's an opportunity to get some of those youngsters out in the weeds with a dog and build the memories they will carry with them for the rest of their lives.

I understand what some were saying regarding the birds in the Aberdeen area. Last year we were discouraged when we wanted to come to Aberdeen for our first SD Hunting trip. Thankfully someone one on this site was gracious enough to invite us to the Aberdeen area. We had the time of our lives.

I took my 12 year old son and my two young nephews 18 and 20. They talk about our trip all the time. Take the time to build those memories. They can't be replaced.

I wish you the best of luck.

Ric

Thanks Ric,
My grandson will be 5 in August so he has a few years to go.
Even though the move is only 100 miles it will still be a big deal. Looking forward to making new friends and finding new hunting places/partners. So if any of you are in the Watertown, SD area let me know and we will get after some roosters. I've got 2 Brittanys that are pheasant finding machines. Still don't have a definate move date but it will either be in September or after the first of the year. Can't move during hunting season. :) I've already got too many hunts planned.

Back