Semi vs. O/U

Not in WA State, you poor, unforunate devils. We must be lucky indeed to not have to worry about such a frustrating scenario . . . while we found fairly good (for here) numbers of wild birds this year, on many hunts I could have done as well just carrying the butt stock.

Yes- that's why I always wait a minute before I do. I've been caught prematurelly opening the action, and when I hurriedly closed it, was reminded the firing pin reset to the original barrel. Click- Nothing- Sh*t, oops!

Been there, done that! :(

I own both and I love both but I just think it is really cool to carry an o/u while pheasant hunting my orion 28inch rocks and it makes me look cool and professional. People I hunt with always comment on the weatherby o/u!!

Weatherby Orion III

Hi guys.....first time here so FWIW -

I've shot pumps, autos and O/Us and like 'em all.

I started off with 870s and they'll always have spot in my safe. They fit me well and you can always count on them to function but are heavy (at least in 12ga). If I could only have one shotgun, it'd probably be an 870 but that's not the case and, for upland hunting, I like the lively feel you get with a light auto or O/U.

For autos, I have experience with the Rem 11-87 28" (yuck), Benelli Super 90 28" (nice), Beretta 390A 28" (really nice) and Benelli SBE 24" (fantastic). Low recoil, fast follow-ups area a plus on paper but I don't notice the recoil when shooting and the follow-ups are a little too fast in my case (having the ability to follow-up quite often necessitates it for me!!).

For O/Us, I have experience with the Ruger Red Label (nice) and Weatherby Orion Grade III (perfect). I shot well with the Ruger and shoot just as well or better with my Weatherby. The Wby fits me VERY well, swings great, and is a very solid design (pretty too). I'm fine with waiting for a pointed bird and don't sweat shooting every bird that flies so two shots/kills at one time are PLENTY for me. Since I'm always waiting for a point, another reason I like hunting with an O/U is that I find it very comfortable to carry it broke open on my shoulder.

My current combo is a Weatherby Orion III 28" 12ga that I use as my main upland gun and a Rem SPS-T 21" 12ga with an IC shoke that I use as a backup/foul weather gun . You can find the 870 SPS-T for $300-$350 and I picked up the Wby Orion III on the used rack (excellent + cond) for $999!!

To each his own........

PB125604-1.jpg

SPS-TonPheasants.jpg

Last edited:
My main Pheasant gun is also a Weatherby. I shoot a Athena III 12ga 28". I bought the Weatherby specifically for hunting Pheasants.

sd0817.jpg

I used my Browning Superposed 20ga once or twice too but prefer a 12ga most the time for Pheasants
'
Picture008.jpg

Picture009-2.jpg

I have been caught reloading too early and missing opportunity with the O/U. I cuss a blue streak every time too. Ah, but with a auto how many times you been caught with the only time the gun would fail to operate properly and the mecca of mega flushes is in your face with a gun that is jammed? I have auto's too but you will find me rarely carry them for Pheasants. I at times think, man if I had been carry a auto instead. I think I could have done better. That comes from years of carry a auto before I was able to afford a good O/U. In all reality, I kill as many or more with the O/U because I shoot them so well. If two roosters jump in close gun range, nearly every time it's two birds down. The O/U also offers that safety factor of being able to break the gun open and assure everyone your not carry a gun that can not discharge when your in a group that's gathered up. They are in most cases, the safest gun because of that ability.

Last edited:
onpoint & nebraska, nice guns. I've always been partial to nice "woodwork" and blueing/nickle/etching combos. It would be tough for me to shell out the bucks for a synthetic stock. In my opinion they just don't have the "feel" or character.

onpoint & nebraska, nice guns. I've always been partial to nice "woodwork" and blueing/nickle/etching combos. It would be tough for me to shell out the bucks for a synthetic stock. In my opinion they just don't have the "feel" or character.

Trust me, I got both those guns for unbelievable prices. I'm a opportunist. If I see a deal of a life time. I will find a way to make the deal and live with me having to be a miser of misers for mouths if I have to.

I too love fine looking wood stocked guns. As a person gets older. The act of getting up at 3:00AM to go duck hunting becomes less and less attractive and the gentlemen sport of hunting upland birds and small game. that requires no early mornings, no rush to the fields/woods becomes more and more the game to play. Nothing like a nice big breakfast after a little sleep in. Then heading out when it's warming up to a fall Indian summer day with your prized gun of choice and your gun dog.

As a person gets older. The act of getting up at 3:00AM to go duck hunting becomes less and less attractive and the gentlemen sport of hunting upland birds and small game. that requires no early mornings, no rush to the fields/woods becomes more and more the game to play. Nothing like a nice big breakfast after a little sleep in. Then heading out when it's warming up to a fall Indian summer day with your prized gun of choice and your gun dog.

My feelings exactly. :thumbsup: That's why I like the 10:00 AM start in South Dakota. :)

Don't get me wrong now.....those fancy guns do just as good a job on those fat November mallards as the sun is fighting to wake a Dakota prairie. Whistling wings have an earie way getting the blood boiling!!

I don't know how many times I have broken a O/U or SXS open after firing one shot only to have another bird flush.:eek: I TRY to wait but old habits die hard and I still do it once in a while. :(
I now try to get the dogs on the downed bird and get a shell in hand before I open the gun. If I shoot twice it doesn't matter but I have occaisonally picked up another bird by waiting, especially quail.:)

semi vs over/under

For sporting clays - an over/under is nice, you only need two shots at a time.

However, the over/under kick more that an auto..

I hunt with two fellows (SD) that shoot over/under and they are continually feeding their guns as the birds fly. This usually happens when there's a flock at the end of a sorghum row.

I have a 20 ga Browng.. auto. and it seems to work out great for hunting, but not so, for sporty's. Wish I had a barrel choice!

Jon

My boy lives to get up at 0300 and go hunt waterfowl, i just do it for him, i like 6am better, lol,get both guns, my SBE2 has been through hell this year, i have the Frachi for next phez season

Great set of posts. I like both O/U and Autos and have several 870's seems that I just forget to pump them at times,could be that the 63 yrs is taking its toll.

Yes I can easily select the proper barrel (choke) on a O/U when a bird flushes, it just becomes part of the routine same as taking the safety off.

As for recoil on O/U's I think I'm going to shoot milder loads next yr. (I really got caught up in that heavy/fast load thing).

For late season when you see tons of birds but all bunched up and might only get a limited number of chances I use an auto for the increased firepower. Its really possible in SD to get limited chances per day but have 30+ bird flushes.

It matters not what kind of shotgun you use it is more important that you shoot it well and enjoy the exiperence. Be it a fine looking O/U or that 20 year old beatup old pump or the new tech Auto.:)

great thread. I've been wanting a new gun for the last year or so, and more and more lately been contemplating the same dilemma - new o/u or auto? so I'm appreciating all the comments.

Thing is, I've already got an old 1100, so o/u seems to make the most sense. But, finding a light enough 'field' version of an o/u seems to be tough. Have my eye on a very nice citori, but wondering if I should really be spending that much? grrrrr... decisions. decisions. unfortunately buying both isn't looking like an option. d'oh!

great thread. I've been wanting a new gun for the last year or so, and more and more lately been contemplating the same dilemma - new o/u or auto? so I'm appreciating all the comments.

Thing is, I've already got an old 1100, so o/u seems to make the most sense. But, finding a light enough 'field' version of an o/u seems to be tough. Have my eye on a very nice citori, but wondering if I should really be spending that much? grrrrr... decisions. decisions. unfortunately buying both isn't looking like an option. d'oh!

I bought a new 625 Citori 12 ga. just before this past season, and I love it and shoot so well with it. It just comes up for me right.

I bought a new 625 Citori 12 ga. just before this past season, and I love it and shoot so well with it. It just comes up for me right.

There's a fella not far from here looking to sell a lightly used 625. That one is VERY tempting for me. That gun seems to fit me well also. Just seems almost too nice to get wet or muddy though. I'm sure after a season of use, I wouldn't feel that way anymore though.

C_d, no matter how cheap or expensive the gun you buy is your almost guarantee you will fall and scratch it within the first few outings you go on. That's just how things work.:D

Q-H-Perfect case in point. I bought a new 12 G Citori White Lightning about 5 years ago for sporting clays, trap, and hunting (though since decided it was pretty heavy). I was being a diligent new gun owner and decided to clean it the same day as I first shot it at sporting clays. As I was taking it apart I went to set the forend down on my workbench only I mistakenly laid it partly on top of something else on the bench and it rolled off and landed on the floor. I tried to catch it but failed, and of course, it got a nice little dimple on the bottom of the forend--aaarrrgggghhhhh!
PairOfLabs

While talking about hurting our guns, I got a new gun and took to the Trap Club. I shot one round and was going to shoot a second. So I put it in the gun rack. When I took it out of the rack to shoot the second round, you guessed it. A ugly long scratch in the stock..........Bob

Back