Semi vs. O/U

I use both O/U's and auto's depending on the situation. If you hunt where the birds are few it doesn't make much difference. However, have you ever downed a bird with the 1st shot of your O/U, and then mass qty's. of birds get up while you are reploading the bottom barrel? If you are extremely lucky you may get off one more round before the birds are all out of range. With an auto, you will always be on standby with 2-4 rounds at the ready......................

Well, in WA State the max is 3 . . . I'll stick with my O/U's and reserve the semi's for steel shot zones.

For those of you preferring the O/U, when a bird flushes can you realistically think and respond fast enough to change the barrel selection for the preferred choke? Since I've normally hunted with a semi, during the few times that I've hunted with one of my O/Us I was doing good just to get the safety released.
PairOfLabs

Not a problem & even easier with 2 triggers. Takes no more time than disengaging the safety on my Red Label.

For those of you preferring the O/U, when a bird flushes can you realistically think and respond fast enough to change the barrel selection for the preferred choke? PairOfLabs

Excellent point. It might be possible, but I don't know.

Depends upon the type of selector. i never have much luck with the slide type on the tang safety, like Beretta. Do better with the buttons on the trigger, or the safeties that slide on an angle, like Brownings, but have had those get hungup somewhere between, and got no shot at all! somebody said two triggers, probably best, but I'd stick to that configuration always, or you end up like me, switching from an auto to a two trigger double, I keep squeezing the first trigger, with disappointing results. Best O/U safety is a 3200 Remington, but you have to be Hercules to want to lug that cannon across the uplands. Probably not the surest, safety ever devised either.

Like any other aspect of firearms proficiency . . . practice, practice, practice.

I love my benelli. It's a 20g, 26” barrel. It weighs about 5 pounds give or take. That's not that much more than an o/u. Swings smooth, very little kick, about half the price of a Citori. The 12G could not weigh much more. Kills dead and you can carry it all day...

I switched from a pump to an O/U to an auto, back to an O/U and then went to SXS. It's my vision of what upland hunting should be. Birds over points with a SXS and I've found that if I can't kill them with two I won't get them with the third either.
I'll finish my hunting days out with a SXS except for when I'm forced to shoot steel in a WMA, then it will be with an O/U.

Last edited:
I really love my O/U. I agree with the poster who said for 2K you can find a like new O/U and a auto loader so you can have the best of both worlds.

I'll stick with an O/U as well.

I like having the 2 chokes and a shorter gun for the same barrel length.
I really like having the safety of being able to break the gun open and know it is safe and the people around me know it is safe

Comes down to find a gun that fits you and practice. If you hit on the first shot who cares about the 3rd and getting your limit on one flush only means you get to spend the rest of the day in the motel not the field.

I love my benelli. It's a 20g, 26” barrel. It weighs about 5 pounds give or take. That's not that much more than an o/u. Swings smooth, very little kick, about half the price of a Citori. The 12G could not weigh much more. Kills dead and you can carry it all day...

Id like to know which model please?
Thx

Benelli Montefeltro. It weighs 5.6 pound.

I worked hunting at Joe's in Saint Paul in 2007. Shot the Beretta, Benelli and the Browning. You get a deal for working there, so it was cheap. Could easily got the Citori for a few hundred more, but I liked the Benelli that much better. Buying that quaility of gun it's personal taste. There all great.

I bought the standard black because I use the heck out of it. I've used it five seasons, it got some nicks, but has performed like a champ and I don't feel bad about dropping it in the mud.

It's Inertia Driven, so you have to shoulder it tight. It's light, so it swings faster, so there is a learning curve, but an over/under would be much of the same. I have to remind myself to slow down still. The synthetic stock model seemed to have more kick. I got hardwood.

I replaced a Remington 870 express with it. So it was like night and day. Next to my dog it was the best hunting investment I've made.

Last edited:
For those of you preferring the O/U, when a bird flushes can you realistically think and respond fast enough to change the barrel selection for the preferred choke?
No. But the two chokes are still minimally useful when hunting pheasants. The obvious cases are when shooting a double, anchoring a fluttering bird, and when you whiff. More than a few times I've seen my pattern rip thru the tail feathers on a long crosser, keep swinging, increase my lead, and dump the bird.

What are the pros and cons to getting a semi vs. O/U? -Barry-

The pros/cons are that you won't be able to decide which one to take out if you own both!:D I have an 11-87 that I use for waterfowl (3 triples) and the obvious Red Label that I use for upland (3 triples on roosters)! I also own 5 "back-up" shotguns....:eek:

Let us know what you decide!

semi

I have a sxs over and under ,pumps and semis.I like haveing that third shot.some days my shooting isnt for shit so that third shot helps.When i get rich ill buy anouther Beretta A400 or a winchester x3.Most of my shooting is with modified chokes,exept for dove hunting.

I am having the same delima. I currently shoot a O/U but would really like to have a nice Montefeltro autoloader. The past several years I have been making 1,000+ mile trips to bird hunt without a backup gun and I know one of these years I am going to need it. Think I am going to pull the trigger on one this year...so if you know anybody that is wanting to offload a left-handed Montefeltro let me know. Cheers.

cant go wrong

will do pheasant killer.happy hunting.And dont get me wrong I still love my sxsand my over and under but my beretta 390 is my go to gun.

I believe I found the perfect upland gun for me.
In 1968 my dad bought me a Remington 1100 12 gauge with a 26'' barrel that I hunted with until 1985 when I bought a Browning Citori sup/lite 12 gauge. I hunted with each gun through last year until a friend let me hunt 2 days last season with his Benelli Ultra Light. It was love at 1st. sight!
My gun is a 12 gauge with a 26'' barrel that weighs just over 6lbs. and it has been a great gun for me so far. I'm lucky that I can really hunt about as much as I like. From mid Sept. til the middle of Jan. I average 3 to 4 days a week, so even though I hunted with it just 1 season I think this season has been a fair test of what the gun can and can not do. The gun is a joy to carry and really kicks no more than my Citori. I would not enjoy shooting 3 or 4 rounds of skeet or trap with it and it's not a gun I would hunt waterfowl with, but for the grouse, quail, and pheasant hunting I do here in Washington, it's a great gun for me.
I paid 1350.00 for this gun at Cabelas in Billings. ( No Montana sales tax)

Back