Semi vs. O/U

JBHandJr

I've got two pump shotguns right now, Nova and BPS. I want to get an upland gun and I want it to be 12 ga. What are the pros and cons to getting a semi vs. O/U? If you need to know any more about my circumstances just let me know. Of course money is an object and I'd like to keep this under 2k, maybe 2.5k.

-Barry-

I hunt Uplands with a 20-gauge. While the venerable O/U is my first love, there are areas in WA State where one must use steel/non-tox shot, so in those locales, I use a Benelli Montifeltro . . . in my humble opinion, it is a bit lighter & points (for me anyway) like one of my O/U's. There's something to be said for having two different chokes going for you with an O/U or SxS, however & at 62 (almost 63), I've never tripled on Pheasants (but with three shots, I have managed to waste one of the three all too frequently!). Get a double . . . you'll not regret it . . .

I've got two pump shotguns right now, Nova and BPS. I want to get an upland gun and I want it to be 12 ga. What are the pros and cons to getting a semi vs. O/U? If you need to know any more about my circumstances just let me know. Of course money is an object and I'd like to keep this under 2k, maybe 2.5k.

-Barry-

If it was me and one of those pumps is a 12 ga I'd save my money for trips or dog stuff and hunt. I've been that route over the last 40 years with about ever shotgun made and the gun I use 95% of the time is a 25yr old 20ga Upland Special Rem 870. I have a fancy 12 ga S/S that I carry on trips in case the 870 breaks. It hasn't done it yet!

Good hunting!
Floyd

The "Upland Special" was just that . . . very "Specia!!" A delightful pump gun, but unfortunately I've used doubles & semis for so long, I forget . . . to pump. I do have one in the collection, however . . . very sweet shotties!

I just switched from an O/U to a Beretta 26 " ultra light 12 ga Urika 2 from Cabelas. Love it. Light swings fast and I get that 3rd shot when needed. Most important is the fit. Doesn't matter what the gun is if it fits you well and your comfortable with it.

My problem with a o/u is I spend to much time wishing I had a 3rd shot.

And in Kansas, Nebraska, etc..... a forth, and a fifth! i've walked miles and miles,and limited on one flush more times than I can count after not seeing a bird all day.

Last edited:

-Barry-

Barry,
2 k will buy a used citori and a nice used auto.Gunbroker.com Best of both worlds:cheers:I never buy new anymore. Can get them like new in the box 1/2 price at times.::)

Last edited:
My problem with a o/u is I spend to much time wishing I had a 3rd shot.

Moe's right,

Why spend 2 or 2.5 On a two shot? When you can spend 900 to 1.5 on an auto, from benilli or browing , or what ever? Guns with two barrels vs one barrel, The choke thing on this thread , I don't get. Not to argue. I just dont under stand. Ive stated on here I hunt Pheasants, with full choke. I either kill clean (most of the time)or miss clean. That Third shot Is a life saver some times. I know an auto in the hands, of a non-shooter can get expensive. My 2 penny's.:)

I have a safe with some very nice Benelli's and I've stolen my uncles new Maxus...bottom line for me...and IMHO: I can't shoot an auto regardless of what I try. Don't know why and at this point don't care. Just bought a great used 101 to add to my O/U arsenal and will start culling the autos soon. I agree with the 3 shot vs 2 argument from the auto guys but show be a pheasant that's around long enough to pull the third. I think I speak for the O/U guys, we can reload pretty darn quick if any other birds get up.

My little 870 came with the plug in and I've never taken it out. Don't need to end the hunt soon with a 4th or 5th shot. I've never tripled on Pheasant but mostly because I want to make sure the first (or occasional second) are DRT. Last week in Kansas Ike had three roosters locked up tight and I think I could have tripled but I only shot two and watched the other sail away for another time. I have tripled on Quail a few times. When I knock three of them down it's time for Ike and I to go find the birds. The pump, for me, is second nature because I shot Skeet with four 870s back in the 60s-80s. I have had some might nice O/Us and a few Autos. I don't really care for an Auto but if there was no such thing as my pump I would still be shooting a Benelli Montefeltro 20. Mine went to a hunting partners daughter. I always felt a little "uppity" carrying a fancy O/U.

I'm dancing with the one that brought me.;)

I have both. MY O/U is a sporting clays model and intended for such. Too heavy for field use. I use Beretta Autoloaders for hunting.

I think it's just personal preference to be honest. O/U's typically are more expensive and as was stated provide only 2 shots. Neither of those are reasons not to use one though. There are those that will swear that nothing is as finely balanced as a good O/U or Side by Side.

Autoloaders these days are very dependable and generally light in weight with less felt recoil to the shooter. This is especially true with the gas auto's. The third shot does have some merit though depending on the type of hunting your doing. They are also less expensive for the most part, although today's modern autoloaders aren't necessarily cheap either. The newer ones are nicely balanced for quick target acquisition for upland use.

In the end it's all personal preference and what feels best in the hands of the person doing the shooting.

FWIW :)

I just switched from an O/U to a Beretta 26 " ultra light 12 ga Urika 2 from Cabelas. Love it. Light swings fast and I get that 3rd shot when needed.

You have one of those too HuH.... I have a 28" in that gun and the gun is a pleasure to carry around all day at the listed 6.75 lbs. :thumbsup:

i switched from a benelli nova to a vinci i wouldnt switch back the vincis weight is much lighter and the recoil is alot lighter :10sign:

I'm sold on my Beretta 391. Not because of the increased firepower, but because it functions reliably for me and I can hit with it. I've got (actually my wife) a Beretta 686 White Onyx. If I concentrate on what I'm doing, I can do ok with it, but it doesn't point naturally for me.

On the firepower thing, the first time I carried the Beretta 391 we got to the end of a milo field, dogs birdy as all get out. One flushed, then the whole end of the field flushed. I dropped 3 roosters with 4 shots. I've also dropped 4 quail with 4 shots with that gun on a covey rise.

I have an O/U and A semi-auto. I find when I have the semi in the field, I wish I had the O/U for the choke choices. When I carry the semi-auto, I always end up feeling hampered by the end of the hunt..........Bob

I'm sold on my Beretta 391. Not because of the increased firepower, but because it functions reliably for me and I can hit with it. I've got (actually my wife) a Beretta 686 White Onyx. If I concentrate on what I'm doing, I can do ok with it, but it doesn't point naturally for me.

On the firepower thing, the first time I carried the Beretta 391 we got to the end of a milo field, dogs birdy as all get out. One flushed, then the whole end of the field flushed. I dropped 3 roosters with 4 shots. I've also dropped 4 quail with 4 shots with that gun on a covey rise.

Cheesy, Brings up a great point. Birds flushing out of a pushed field. If you only have 2 shots, You are going to lose against 3. No

Back