Montana Weather

10 day forecast is for some nice mid Jan weather all through E MT. Couple days into the 40's, no below zero stuff. Good feeding times for the birds.
Snow cover seems to vary from 0 to 8-9 inches mostly 2-6.

Better then average Winter so far.
some -20 to -30 stuff but without the Blizzards. :thumbsup:

Looks nice bird friendly weather, next 10 days.
March Blizzards can be devistating. Let hope we pass on that. :thumbsup:

The season for what is still open out there?

Nope Buck, no hunting open in MT.
Canada transplanted wolves, trapping? GO GET EM!!!

Only thinking of the birds. My observations.

Billings to date has recieved 65" of snow, which broke the old record for snowfall through February 11. I'm ready for spring!

april

Ready for water
walleye2011_zpsd4c5bb21.jpg

montana chinook

well 2 days in south central Montana melting snow, pushing 50 today in Billings while I worked here. a nice reprieve for all wildlife, and livestock . :)

I'm looking forward to open water.
Nice EYE!
Patrick, you going to check out Forchette Bay this Spring?

I think that will come in handy for you.
I've only spent a few days on the "Peck" but what I saw it's very deep except for the bays and underwater ridges. :eek:
I would be cruising along watching the depth locator and suddenly from 120-150 feet it would come up VERY fast.
Badlands and Breaks underwater. Those bumps usually held some eyes. :thumbsup:

Since the dry arm filled up again @ Fort Peck we've been knocking em out over the 4th July. Nice northerns and walleyes.

I camped and fished for a couple days out of Nelson Creek. In June the water was at a good level.
If I make it to the Peck this year I'll check it out again.
For a few years the boat ramp was high and dry, no water to be seen, strange site indeed. :confused:

Growing up we always went to Nelson until it dried up. Two years ago we caught over 50# there and tossed a lot back. Last summer was close to it but dad didn't weigh the total catch.

Nice Northern!
Future Hunters to:thumbsup:
Pup, a current hunter. :cheers:

Do You mind saying? what bait you use for walleye.
For me coming out of state, no live bait allowed. Not even leeches.
I tried to buy minnows at Rock Creek, they had a limited supply and only available to their Marina customers.

We actually don't use any bait. We troll with crankbaits in about 15'-20' water. If we bottom bounce we use nightcrawlers or leaches. You should be able to find bait in Glendive or Circle if you're coming through that way or in Glasgow from the north.

We actually don't use any bait. We troll with crankbaits in about 15'-20' water. If we bottom bounce we use nightcrawlers or leaches. You should be able to find bait in Glendive or Circle if you're coming through that way or in Glasgow from the north.

That is what I ended up using to, Crankbaits.
I did OK. I was out there in June when all that weather went through. 5 days and 2 1/2 days on the water. Flash flood and sever thunderstorm warnings, You know? They were right! It rained and blew like HELP!

Still had lots of adventures though, I want to do it again.

When I stopped a Rock Creek for bait, thes guys had some VERY nice WALLEYS, They said, for EYES "MINNOWS" !!!
So I want to try minnows.:cheers:

Thanks PTM.
You have 50's temps this week?:)
Time to think soft water.:thumbsup:

Back