Montana Weather

Cold/Windy/Snowing

Yes it is cold and windy, we got the four birds fairly early and had a shot at a limit but the wind came up and we had to call it quits. We still consider it a success as we had a big hike to get to where the birds were hiding and the snow is deeper than reported. I had to deice the dog but we all had a good time, my buddy went 3 for 3 which was cool as he was overdue.

I check on the E MT, W ND weather often. (almost daily)
Weather being the #1 limiting factor on the game species out there.

It's been a heck of a cold spell with severe windchill. Probably killed most of the late hatched pheasants.
The good news is, there was a fairly successful early hatch. Snow accumulations range from 0 to about a foot through the whole area. Light and fluffy snow is probably not a factor at this point. Lots of good cover.
And better news is, a good mostly dry warming trend on the way. Sunny and low 30's by Sunday. This will give the birds a chance to get out, get their crops full, much better to survive the next Arctic Blast. :cheers:

Weather

I think we are going to have two days of +40, I'm encouraged by the number of hens I've been encountering. With some luck we could have decent numbers next year.

I think we are going to have two days of +40, I'm encouraged by the number of hens I've been encountering. With some luck we could have decent numbers next year.

That's great news, man!

I'm really hoping to resume my annual excursions to the Hi-Line next year -- I haven't been since 2010 due to family commitments. I've missed good years and bad years in the interim, and I'd like the one when I make it back to be at least decent.

Last edited:
The hi-line

Good deal, I gave up on the numbers a few years ago, I love getting way off the beaten path, I figure I only have about 10 good walking years left. My brother is the opposite, he likes to stay close to the road. I made up a t-shirt for Christmas, it says "Ditch Commander" and has a pheasant flying from the middle of the road.

PTM, What is the snow cover like where your at?
According to snow cover maps, most of the Hi line country is trace to about 4 inches?
Couple 40 degree days this time of the year is very bird friendly.

wm-front_zps26ddb9ed.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

wm-front_zps26ddb9ed.jpg

Not too fancy, my brother the ND Ditch Commander will get a chuckle out of it. I'd say the snow was up to 6 inches but its basically trace amounts left. The birds have been in the stubble gorging themselves. Looks like mild weather for the next 10 days with one cold one. I can't believe another season is almost over.

Last edited:
The concept is great and with a little more elaborate art work that is more sarcastic, it would be a world beater.

P.S. For that unsolicited piece of art criticism I expect 50% of any profits.:laugh:

It would almost be better if the Rooster were standing on the road. :eek:

NAH!!! forget it, BAD idea!:eek::(

Ditch Commander

It could have used a lot of artistic improvements however cost was an issue. The Ditch Commander is a way of life, a state of mind, a legend, a legend in his own mind. Actually he just got two new Boykin Spaniels so maybe he'll give up his road hunting shock and awe campaign. He does have it down to a science. He has about thirty spots that are 15 steps or less from the car, all legal in ND. He knows where every ditch bird lives due to the extensive amount of time he spends driving the roads running his winter trap line.

x-mas present

I posted it on the main forum I am so proud of it. I got one for all of our group for the opener 2014.

At 10:30 a it's -20 at Plentywood.
By Friday temps are forecasted to be in the mid 30's above zero.
Still only a few inches snow cover over most of the area. So far, birds should be doing OK.:)

Rain?

My re-indoctrination to living on the prairie has been a wild ride so far. Tonight we are supposed to get a shot of freezing rain, it was pretty cold this morning. Temperatures are really up and down in short cycles.

It was -24 here in Glendive when I woke up. I had planned on going out today but bagged it. Hoping to get out tomorrow. Lot of snow over here.

weather

nice and sunny in western Montana today, hitting mid 30's hopefully it will go east, and give that part of the state a bit of a thaw. merry Christmas!

According to Weather Underground it's sunny and around 32 in most areas of Eastern MT.
Snow depths show the Milk River Valley then East to about Wolf Point, then South around Circle area with the most on the ground.
4-6 inches in those areas.
I'm not there, MTtailchaser Your there, how accurate is this?

Back