Montana Weather

I went striper fishing on wed. and played golf thurs. Both days it was a constant parade of Sandhill Cranes heading North...1/4 mile at a time. I don't know how they get anywhere when they constantly stop and elect a new leader every few hundred yards.
Hawks were mating, Great Blue Herons were flying around with tree trunks in their bills, the turkeys were strutting and one lonely rooster was calling his heart out. It's spring in central California.

Cal, We hit 50 degrees today.:)
You have no idea? What a High, I mean High as in High. that is if your living in the tundra. :cheers:

A 50 degree high is a coolish winter day here. More than a tee shirt, less than a coat. It was in the 50s last week and is predicted to be right at 80 on Sunday. Our spring, like last year, may have only lasted about 7 days.

P.S. Nice pike MTtailchaser and the rest of your pack is good looking too!

Last edited:
Looks to be some pretty nasty, Winter weather moving across Central and Northern MT. Some places record snow fall along with wind and sub zero temps. Very hard on the grassland birds.

That's not good. I'm assuming they didn't experience the same mild December like most of the Mid-west experienced?

Nick

I think December was pretty mild, this damn snow is really wet despite the arctic temperatures.

December was a good month weather wise across the Northern pheasant belt. Snow cover varied from nothing to maybe 6 inches in areas, not counting the higher elevations. Jan however is brutal for man and beast. :eek:

Looking at the Montana web cams and it looks pretty bleak back there. Really thick snow at Great Falls but some weeds sticking out at the Malta South and Saco web cams. Plentywood looks pretty thick. I hope Shorty is still alive and feeding the birds all winter up there.

50 degree weather and Winds have melted most of the heavy snow that fell last week in Central MT. The wildlife gets a break before the next blast. :thumbsup:

Back