how many days did you spend afield

Another new record for me but it pales in comparison to some of you:
5 days in SoDak
11 days in CO
3 days for doves in CO

And all the pheasants (with some added flavor from dove and chukar) are now sausage patties in the freezer thanks to a tip by Ironwire. I'm counting on hen,hen to rebound next year and help me set another new record as he and I did not get to team up this season.

It was a fun season but bittersweet in that my 12 year old Cody has become mostly retired-just two days out with Logan and me.

Best wishes for the off-season.
PairOfLabs

Maybe you shoudnt go around battering people

True enough.

I sadly only got about 13 days in this year... I had plans for many more, they just didn't come to fruition due to cows, horses, sick kids, etc...

I did however sit in the woods after deer probably 20 days, and I still have my primary tag sitting on my desk. It happens.

I sadly only got about 13 days in this year... I had plans for many more, they just didn't come to fruition due to cows, horses, sick kids, etc...

I did however sit in the woods after deer probably 20 days, and I still have my primary tag sitting on my desk. It happens.

I wasted way too much time deer hunting. Still got both tags and an empty freezer...:mad:

3 days going after birds. Shameful...:(

I wasted way too much time deer hunting. Still got both tags and an empty freezer...:mad:

3 days going after birds. Shameful...:(

Good thing we can buy beef, chicken and pork Toad, or we'd be screwed!

I for the life of me couldn't figure those things out this year... the "typical" pattern was completely FUBAR'd. :mad:

yes it is. but what if you can't get a hunting license because of a criminal batter charge

wow that would really suck you wouldnt even be able to buy a gun either but there is ways around certain things pm me and i will show you how to not just give up and roll over!

31 days chasing pheasant/quail.
10-15 days chasing those damn prairie chickens in the early season.

I never set foot in the field without a dog to follow and wouldn't have it any other way.

I believe I spent around 25 days chasing pheasant and quail. Most of them were 1 day trips, but I did get away three times for over night trips. I spent 3 days hunting deer in Southeast Kansas and everytime I left in the morning to head down there I was quiet as heck so I didn't wake the dogs. Almost like I was cheating on them.

I spent 3 days hunting deer in Southeast Kansas and everytime I left in the morning to head down there I was quiet as heck so I didn't wake the dogs. Almost like I was cheating on them.

True, so true....and kinda funny too. I feel the same way when I do (usta do) some waterfowl hunting or dove hunting. They can see me walk out my back door carrying my gun....they also know about what time we leave to go on most of our trips. I don't have the travel time for waterfowl, but you do have to account for set-up time so it ends up being about the same.

31 days chasing pheasant/quail.
10-15 days chasing those damn prairie chickens in the early season.

I never set foot in the field without a dog to follow and wouldn't have it any other way.

how did you hunt the chickens did you pass shoot them walk with dog or what i dont hear many stories about them on here

I hunted them walking behind my vizslas. During the early season (Sept 15-Oct 15th) the younger birds would hold for points. It gave me and the dogs something to do, when I wasn't at field trials.
It gave me a shot at hunting SOME THING and I learned a heckuva lot about prairie chickens.

do you kill them when its pheasant and quail season if you do pm me your secrets i can always kill a parrot and quail just cant put the chicken with them

do you kill them when its pheasant and quail season if you do pm me your secrets i can always kill a parrot and quail just cant put the chicken with them

Its rare for that to happen. Just trying to get within a mile of them is dang near impossible sometimes. One time, I tried to walk some up and the sentry birds in the trees were gone before I could get within a half mile. Then the rest of them took off too...

I don't put much hope for shooting them during the "late" season, but you can get plenty of chances that early season.

Big year for me...

I spent 50 days afield hunting this fall. :D Probably 45 for birds, and 38 for upland game birds. I would have to look at the journal to figure out how many of those were for roosters but it was a bunch. I decided a year ago that with a new pup, I was going to get that dog as much field time as possible. By late Decemeber I was about hunted out (doesn't happen very often). I turned down a chance to go to AZ for quail and didn't go late season for chukars.

Now the waiting for next season starts. Back to some dog training.

I spent 50 days afield hunting this fall. :D Probably 45 for birds, and 38 for upland game birds. I would have to look at the journal to figure out how many of those were for roosters but it was a bunch. I decided a year ago that with a new pup, I was going to get that dog as much field time as possible. By late Decemeber I was about hunted out (doesn't happen very often). I turned down a chance to go to AZ for quail and didn't go late season for chukars.

Now the waiting for next season starts. Back to some dog training.

Right there with you... I understand the feeling of burnout, but still hitting the field for the dogs if not nothing else.

I got out pheasant hunting about 25 days. Wish i could have gone out more but the snow in Minnesota got deep quick. It realy needs to stop snowing here!

20 or better & it still wasn't enough!

Good thing we can buy beef, chicken and pork Toad, or we'd be screwed!

I for the life of me couldn't figure those things out this year... the "typical" pattern was completely FUBAR'd. :mad:

Yeah. I knew it was getting bad when my wife stopped asking if I got anything when I went deer hunting. I think she gave up long before I did. I missed the same doe on two different occasions with my bow, and then again with my rifle.:eek: Oh well... The buck I kept passing up should be really nice next year but unfortunately pretty educated since he busted me a few times also.
Next year I will probably tag out in the first day with my bow and then be bored until bird season starts... I hope.:D

Back