Early Sunday Morning

When I got up to the border they had a brand new B-wire fence running along it and across some roads that cross into Canada. Makes it tough for the Canucks to come down into the US and get plastered in a bar because they can't take a dirt road home anymore. It killed one bar I know of.
Beautiful country the way I like it. No people, just two good dogs and a horizon that stretches to the North Pole.

Wayne it was good to meet you the first pic is after we bumped into you, and the other one is from this morning, only had an hour but we bumped into a couple
limit_zpse2b662eb.png

My wife says I am starting to look like a homeless man! That was a good day for everyone out it sounds like!:cheers:

nov2_zps7f5a1073.png

Last edited:
My wife says I am starting to look like a homeless man!

When I'm gone hunting Nancy says she thinks of me when she reads of a homeless man being hit by a train. She never says if she's happy or sad when she reads about it though.
Nice pictures. Nice birds.

Last edited:
When I'm gone hunting Nancy says she thinks of me when she reads of a homeless man being hit by a train. She never says if she's happy or sad when she reads about it so...

Ha Ha now I am going to be wondering about just what the heck she meant by that, I know I am not getting any younger but geez..........

It is so nice for Montana to put out all those benches for hunters.

That bench is a very important part of my hunts.
Something for Cal to sit on.
A step to get into my topper.
A table to put my porta grill on. (most of the time) ask Cal. :eek:
a porta potty type thing to lean on. :eek:
And a handy thing to display the days game. (I don't have a tail gate)
A must to stand on to fasten down the camper top.
I guess thats about it. :confused:

When I'm gone hunting Nancy says she thinks of me when she reads of a homeless man being hit by a train. She never says if she's happy or sad when she reads about it though.
Nice pictures. Nice birds.

It's funny, Bonnie asked me today if I have enough cash to go to the Barber tomorrow.
She sez "Wayne! you are past scruffy"
How would we know:confused: Old hunters don't spend much time looking at themselves. :beer:

Patrick, good day indeed.:thumbsup:
Nice pictures and nice big colorful birds.

Glad all you boys are doing good, even though your homeless! Wayne, I do know exactly where that is!
I'd be lying if I didnt say I'm jealous...took the dogs out in the snow,today looking for ruffies and blues. No birds but a good walk.

John, lots of good cover all through the area. Olive trees with a bumper crop.
A good Winter and Spring hatch, gonna be a ton of birds next year.
By the way, all the roosters were packed with Olive seed.

This is the last day of the last trip, Oct 30th. Mixed bag, Couple roosters, couple Gadwells, a greenhead and for this year a hard to come by Grey Partridge.

One of the nice things about remote camping on the prairie. End of a great day. :cheers:
End of a great day.

Very nice Wayne.:coolpics: More than any other bird I have not hunted huns top my list, I really want to get into a covey or two some day.

More than any other bird I have not hunted huns top my list, I really want to get into a covey or two some day.
I've been back to Montana 8 times now (I think) and have seen huns on 4 of those trips (I'm sure). I have been close enough to the coveys Ive seen to have shot one bird. Pretty rare in my experience and very skittish. Almost all the huns I've seen were while driving early in the AM and almost always on land I couldn't hunt. The only more rare populations in my experience were huns in Nevada.

Huns are such a challenge, a wonderful game bird.

The part of Montana we went to this year had a population explosion on Huns compared to last year. Last year we found 3 coveys total in six days, this year we moved 11 hunting and saw 5 more on the road. Little devils are hard to get close to though!!

bumped a covey of Huns at 100 yards that flew halfway up a 900 vertical foot hill...They flushed wild at 150 yards and flew up and over the top...they flush wild and go all the way back down to the bottom... only to have them flush wild 200 yards away and go halfway down...flush wild again back to the top...no shots for three of us.
That's the way I remember them acting and in fact I think I jumped the same covey but in Nevada, not Montana. They probably rode out there sitting on the top of a semi.:)

I don't know if it works on huns but when we are hunting gambels quail we will fire a shot in the air when they flush wild and it seems to make them sit tighter for subsequent flushes... or at least we think it does.:cheers:

Different Times

You guys got me thinking of back when I was in high school in ND. Pheasants weren't really around so it was Huns and sharp-tails. We used to go to school with a shotgun in the rack of our trucks. Skip the shower at football practice and 20 minutes north of town you'd be into Huns. Despite our lack of shot gunning prowess and one fat dog, we usually didn't have a problem getting a limit. Once the crp and pheasants took off you never saw the numbers of Huns anymore. They are an awesome bird and I love that metallic screeching noise they make. Today if you brought a gun to school there would be an instant call for the swat team.

I usually do take a shot when the covey flushes, flock shot and miss. :eek:
There are places in MT that the Huns are doing well. I do the Hun hunting in early Sept, this year heavy rains made it impossible to get into those areas.
I saw 5-6 coveys while I was pheasant hunting. Huns don't really care much for the heavy cover pheasants prefer.

On the way home now but just spent about 2 weeks in Montana. We saw coveys of Huns pretty much every day and this morning we flushed 3 separate coveys. Getting close was a different story despite the fact some were pointed from pretty far. We did manage a couple though.

Did pretty good on pheasants and actually got more sharptail than I thought we would.

Great state.

Back