Browning 20ga A5

I love how these threads get sideways sometimes. I have transitioned to only hunting with O/U’s strictly by choice. I don’t think any less about anyone shooting a semi auto with an extended magazine that loads 9 in their gun. To each their own. There are times every year I wish I had a third and sometimes a fourth shot available. That’s just the way it goes and is the penalty for my gun of choice. That also applies to shell choices. Have a friend coming to SD next year for his first trip and been discussing shell options and such with him. I came to the conclusion last night that I overcomplicate things greatly in that regard. But it gives me something to think about during the off season. 😁.

I love how these threads get sideways sometimes. I have transitioned to only hunting with O/U’s strictly by choice. I don’t think any less about anyone shooting a semi auto with an extended magazine that loads 9 in their gun. To each their own. There are times every year I wish I had a third and sometimes a fourth shot available. That’s just the way it goes and is the penalty for my gun of choice. That also applies to shell choices. Have a friend coming to SD next year for his first trip and been discussing shell options and such with him. I came to the conclusion last night that I overcomplicate things greatly in that regard. But it gives me something to think about during the off season. 😁.
All I did was mention that I like to consider the weight of the gun loaded vs unloaded and off it went. And I was talking to and quoted Dakotazeb. It wasn't directed to Erirb or KE.

I don't ground-swat poorly hit birds. For one thing it usually endangers the dog but even if it didn't endanger Rocket it would deprive him of the opportunity to do what he loves most in life -- running down and catching a rooster.

I have shot a few doubles, but only where feathers came off the first bird all over him and the "shutter & collapse" left no doubt he was DIA. Trying to put multiple hits on multiple birds is about the best way I can think of to have a downed bird become unretrievable because it ran into a brush-pile or a hole in the ground while the dog(s) was retrieving another bird.

Too often what I see with 4th and 5th shots out of a gun are "frustration shots" -- blazing away at a 70-yard bird that was missed clean by the first three shots but then picks us a single pellet which does not down it but which will turn it into coyote food in a few hours.

I hate to admit it but killing pheasants is not my main goal any more. My main goal is to get a lot of exercise, let the dog get a lot of exercise, and let the dog have some fun pointing and retrieving birds for a few hours. I don't want to kill two roosters out of the first flush, much less three. Some days we get only two roosters all day, some days only one. That's fine. I love eating them but I love cheesburgers, too. I need the exercise way more than I need the meat.

Besides, any more than 2 in the mag throws my weight and balance off. ;)

All I did was mention that I like to consider the weight of the gun loaded vs unloaded and off it went. And I was talking to and quoted Dakotazeb. It wasn't directed to Erirb or KE.
And all I did, which admittedly I could have put into a different thread, was ask about the 16 throwing a better pattern. I accept responsibility for that part of the derailment.

Listen to us...competitive jargon over a few ounces of weight, a few more pellets in a pattern, an even number based on 12, 16, 20, 410, 28, O/U, SxS, Automatic...I'm assuming no one is using a single shot...? C'mon guys, were better than this. Now let's get real...it's a BROWNING. Does all the above mentioned issues really matter. Shoot what you can afford to bring to the hunt. Be successful, teach a kid, take a dog, harvest your bounty and enjoy the feast.

I don't ground-swat poorly hit birds. For one thing it usually endangers the dog but even if it didn't endanger Rocket it would deprive him of the opportunity to do what he loves most in life -- running down and catching a rooster.

I have shot a few doubles, but only where feathers came off the first bird all over him and the "shutter & collapse" left no doubt he was DIA. Trying to put multiple hits on multiple birds is about the best way I can think of to have a downed bird become unretrievable because it ran into a brush-pile or a hole in the ground while the dog(s) was retrieving another bird.

Too often what I see with 4th and 5th shots out of a gun are "frustration shots" -- blazing away at a 70-yard bird that was missed clean by the first three shots but then picks us a single pellet which does not down it but which will turn it into coyote food in a few hours.

I hate to admit it but killing pheasants is not my main goal any more. My main goal is to get a lot of exercise, let the dog get a lot of exercise, and let the dog have some fun pointing and retrieving birds for a few hours. I don't want to kill two roosters out of the first flush, much less three. Some days we get only two roosters all day, some days only one. That's fine. I love eating them but I love cheesburgers, too. I need the exercise way more than I need the meat.

Good comment young man. Every once in a while I load 4.Rarely 5. I'm not a game hog,but I don't like getting skunked. I'm starting to use double barrels like the English sporting squires.

I have shot dozens of crippled running roosters, when I don't have the dog out.

🤡,
I’m not sure why you can’t understand that I pointed out in my first post (which you read five times), that the payload is not the same. I said the optimal load for the gauge, and even gave examples.
I can’t teach you to understand.

Obviously not you're too big a 🤡

Just an observation...but the Benelli ultralight 20 ga. weighed about 5 lbs 4 oz. It was introduced in about 2008 (I think). I owned one. This new Browning 20 is listed at 5 lbs 11 oz. Funny thing is the 16 ga. lists at only 1.0 oz heavier. Had one of those as well and sold it to a guy I used to hunt with. My Beretta A400 20 ga. weighs about 5 lbs 10 oz.

Point is...that an inertia bolt 20 ga. of 'Ludacris' light weight has been available for some time now. Other options existed as well. Other than this being a 'Browning' and the rotary bolt being stuffed into an aluminum 'pseudo-humpback' receiver...I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about this new offering.

I've got 4 shotguns. Each one serves a purpose.
1) 12 gauge for pheasants that I only use for pheasants. I have the plug in there because the added weight of 2 more shells in the magazine throws it off balance.
2) 12 gauge for waterfowl (3 shots only, federal law)
3) 12 gauge for turkey (3 shots but could get by with 1)
4) 20 gauge for grouse (1 shot and usually that doesn't get taken)

I do not use the pheasant gun for waterfowl or turkey or grouse, and vice versa with the others. The pheasant and grouse guns are much lighter because I walk around with them. The waterfowl and turkey shotguns are camo and heavier. The turkey gun is the heaviest because it has a specialized recoil system designed to absorb a turkey round. Its like shooting a cannon.

When I first started hunting as a teenager, I only had one shotgun because it was all I could afford. Once I got a real job and had a steady income, I upgraded to specializing my firearms.

Just an observation...but the Benelli ultralight 20 ga. weighed about 5 lbs 4 oz. It was introduced in about 2008 (I think). I owned one. This new Browning 20 is listed at 5 lbs 11 oz. Funny thing is the 16 ga. lists at only 1.0 oz heavier. Had one of those as well and sold it to a guy I used to hunt with. My Beretta A400 20 ga. weighs about 5 lbs 10 oz.

Point is...that an inertia bolt 20 ga. of 'Ludacris' light weight has been available for some time now. Other options existed as well. Other than this being a 'Browning' and the rotary bolt being stuffed into an aluminum 'pseudo-humpback' receiver...I'm not sure what all the hoopla is about this new offering.
Totally different guns. A carbon fiber rib, 3 shot capacity, felt recoil, a bolt that is known for the benelli click are what the UL is known for. Not to mention that it has been discontinued. Browning has 5 shot capacity, humpback reciever, improved bolt, better recoil pad, speed loading, etc. The A5 is offered in 3 gauge choices vs a gun that is no longer made and had been around for decades.

I've got 4 shotguns. Each one serves a purpose.
1) 12 gauge for pheasants that I only use for pheasants. I have the plug in there because the added weight of 2 more shells in the magazine throws it off balance.
2) 12 gauge for waterfowl (3 shots only, federal law)
3) 12 gauge for turkey (3 shots but could get by with 1)
4) 20 gauge for grouse (1 shot and usually that doesn't get taken)

I do not use the pheasant gun for waterfowl or turkey or grouse, and vice versa with the others. The pheasant and grouse guns are much lighter because I walk around with them. The waterfowl and turkey shotguns are camo and heavier. The turkey gun is the heaviest because it has a specialized recoil system designed to absorb a turkey round. Its like shooting a cannon.

When I first started hunting as a teenager, I only had one shotgun because it was all I could afford. Once I got a real job and had a steady income, I upgraded to specializing my firearms.
To be honest I don't know how many I have. In the last 5 years I have added an A5 Sweet 16, Benelli Monte 20, Benelli New Monte 12, Browning 12 gauge Maxus II wicked wing, and a Retay Gordion which I sold. Going to be adding the new Browning 20. Of all those new guns the Browning Maxus II is probably my favorite.

Last edited:
Buying new guns is definitely part of the fun for me. If I was rich I would have every guage in each O/U, semi auto, pump, and even single shot. Working on building that collection over time. Although I do hunt multiple species and terrain each year, which helps drive the specialization.

Every pheasant hunter I know besides one uses his "main" gun for both ducks and pheasants if they hunt both.. and surprisingly three guys have new A5 2x4s... Every single one leaves plug in. I do not know any waterfowl hunter that takes a plug out for anything, thats how you forget and get a $150 ticket.

Only once ever seen someone bird hunting without a plug, a guy unloaded 5 shells in front of the warden while dove hunting 😂

View attachment 7429
Sorry to nitpick, but, I do not know where you got your info from. Ohio is wrong! No restriction on upland birds or small game. Deer, turkey, & waterfowl are now limited to 3 shells, but they did not use to be. Doves are not considered waterfowl, & I can use my Ithaca deerslayer factory 8 round capacity, with no plug on doves or Phez

I think I own 10 shotguns. 2 a5s,1 sweet 16.none made after 1960.2 lc sSmith, 1 betetta ou, 2 870,2 1187,2 Parker, 1 winchester.

Back