Browning 20ga A5

I agree. My point was that the weight difference between 3 20 ga shells and 3 16 ga shells is very minimal.

I would go as far as saying unnoticeable. Even 12ga 1 1/8 shells vs 20ga 1oz probably carry the same, other than the physical difference in size. I could go weigh some but I really dont care that much. If weight of shells in the gun makes or breaks someones trip, then they should probably buy a 410. I mean we are talking fractions of an ounce up to an ounce or two even in pocket weight unless they carry a full box, the weight savings are gone if the first rooster you kill has a crop full of corn...

Only time i have ever noticed/appreciated lighter shells was dove hunting with 410. I thought i forgot my shells the first day. 1/2oz of shot in a pencil is pretty noticeable vs 1 1/8 12ga!

Your list contains many states that allow 5 shots for upland game. Just list the one that limit to 3 for all species.

Are you trolling or blind? Two out of the first 3 include upland... But remember, you already chastised us for not following what the forum is called. Who cares about all species, we are just talking pheasant because its a pheasant forum remember?

And 6 out of 17 is many?

Are you trolling or blind? Two out of the first 3 include upland... But remember, you already chastised us for not following what the forum is called. Who cares about all species, we are just talking pheasant because its a pheasant forum remember?

And 6 out of 17 is many
You're the one that started bringing up waterfowl hunting, not me. I was talking about a gun, carrying it hunting upland game. My bad, I thought there were 50 states. I didn't chastise anyone. Just reminded you that we are talking about a walnut 20 gauge, not a waterfowl gun. It will be a very popular upland gun. Browning hesitated bringing it out earlier so they could sell the 16 gauge.

I have no idea why anybody would routinely, hunt after hunt, all season, load 5 shells in his gun. In the first place, many hunters use over/unders which by default is a 2 shot gun. And if a hunter needs 5 shots to kill a rooster, it's time to head to the skeet/trap range and do some serious work on target shooting fundamentals....and that should have been done prior to opening day.

I have no idea why anybody would routinely, hunt after hunt, all season, load 5 shells in his gun. In the first place, many hunters use over/unders which by default is a 2 shot gun. And if a hunter needs 5 shots to kill a rooster, it's time to head to the skeet/trap range and do some serious work on target shooting fundamentals....and that should have been done prior to opening day.
Yes!

I only needed the second barrel twice this year in my baby 20ga, cant imagine shooting more than 3 shells at a rooster... That would be embarrassing

I’ve seen some terrible shots and game hogs load 5. Usually blazed away and loaded five more but didn’t usually get birds.

Unless you hunt in areas where more than one rooster pops out at the same time.

In that case, i would shoot one rooster because its more important to kill one and find it with good dog work than sling 5 shells at as many as i can. There is so little chance the 2nd or 3rd bird are going to be in range for you to get off shell #4 and #5 that i feel confident in saying you will just be crippling birds out of range.

In that case, i would shoot one rooster because it’s more important to kill one and find it with good dog work than sling 5 shells at as many as i can. There is so little chance the 2nd or 3rd bird are going to be in range for you to get off shell #4 and #5 that i feel confident in saying you will just be crippling birds out of range.
Don’t feel bad, many shooters panic when multiple birds flush. Focus on one bird and then the second. Many times they are still under 35 yards which is still within range a good load of 4 or 5s.

It’s pretty simple really. I said to take 3” mags out of the equation and you missed that completely. I’m not even going to try to help you understand, when we’re talking patterns and you confuse that with penetration. 🤦‍♂️

You were talking about changing shot sizes, which makes effective range more or less (because penetration). They're talking about equal payload & shot size, irregardless of shell length. Always will TEND to pattern better from a larger barrel. To answer your question.... no! It would NOT!! make sense to do what you suggest unless you think its helpful to compare apples to oranges. 🤡

I load 5 shells in my gun. I guess that makes me a bad shot & a game hog, who lugs around a few extra ounces. So be it. But when that staggered triple presents itself, & one bird needs 2 shots in the air, & another needs to be ground pounded so he's not lost, I'll be ready! 😆 It's very rare that I shoot 3 of those 5, but it's a comfort thing. If you don't get it, that's fine by me.

You were talking about changing shot sizes, which makes effective range more or less (because penetration). They're talking about equal payload & shot size, irregardless of shell length. Always will TEND to pattern better from a larger barrel. To answer your question.... no! It would NOT!! make sense to do what you suggest unless you think its helpful to compare apples to oranges. 🤡
The question is patterns. All things being equal would require the same number of pellets, otherwise, of course the 20 ga. patterns will look skimpy.
If you don’t understand, well, it’s ok to keep quiet 🤡.

The question is patterns. All things being equal would require the same number of pellets, otherwise, of course the 20 ga. patterns will look skimpy.
If you don’t understand, well, it’s ok to keep quiet 🤡.
Your the UPH new ballistics guru. Same payload & shot size is obvi same bb count whether 410, 28, 20, 16 or 12 & no matter the cartridge length. Change shot size & then payload so same bb count & things are not equal no more. 🥜 I suppose you think 100 dimes is same as 100 quarters just cause the number is the same 🤦‍♂️

Your the UPH new ballistics guru. Same payload & shot size is obvi same bb count whether 410, 28, 20, 16 or 12 & no matter the cartridge length. Change shot size & then payload so same bb count & things are not equal no more. 🥜 I suppose you think 100 dimes is same as 100 quarters just cause the number is the same 🤦‍♂️
🤡,
I’m not sure why you can’t understand that I pointed out in my first post (which you read five times), that the payload is not the same. I said the optimal load for the gauge, and even gave examples.
I can’t teach you to understand.

I load 5 shells in my gun. I guess that makes me a bad shot & a game hog, who lugs around a few extra ounces. So be it. But when that staggered triple presents itself, & one bird needs 2 shots in the air, & another needs to be ground pounded so he's not lost, I'll be ready! 😆 It's very rare that I shoot 3 of those 5, but it's a comfort thing. If you don't get it, that's fine by me.
Most of us do. I wish I would have kept records back in the late 70's, 80's, 90's, etc on how many birds I shot each year. I started in 2008. Since that time I have shot 423 roosters in Kansas alone. Several triples. I have also shot many doubles where I needed all 5 shells to finish off a bird or to shoot at a crippled rooster on the run. I have shot many doubles on quail and after the double had a couple of roosters flush. I don't really hunt with anyone else anymore except for my son once or twice a year but I have never hunted with anyone who didn't load 5 in their gun. There are a couple of really good hunters on this forum, including yourself, Browndogs, Chestle, Kshusker, Kickem Up, etc. Better off not replying to some of these guys.

Back