Browning 20ga A5

Hunthemup

Browning has finally released the new A5 20ga version for 2024. At somewhere below $2000, I guess I will be selling the wife:):)
Just kidding, but I have been waiting a long time for this now I need to wait a bit longer as more get to the used market or inventory increases.
It suppose to be just under 5.7 lbs. WOW

Honest question, why not the 16 over the 20? Weight difference is 1 ounce. I have the 16 gauge and love it. I would imagine recoil is negligible between the two gauges and the 16 packs just a bit more punch.
I’m thinking better ammo selection and availability.

If you like the way they look (I don't) and you are a fan of 20 gauge guns (I'm not), it makes sense, right? I mean, there are a lot of guns that are only available in 20 ga that would interest me in 16, even though realistically a 3" 20 ga can do everything a 16 can do. And while I never have trouble finding 16 ga ammo, I'm increasingly uncomfortable slinging plastic wads into the ether and I think it's a long time before biodegradable wads make their way into 16 ga loads, which has me thinking about returning to a 12 or 20 for upland hunting...

If you like the way they look (I don't) and you are a fan of 20 gauge guns (I'm not), it makes sense, right? I mean, there are a lot of guns that are only available in 20 ga that would interest me in 16, even though realistically a 3" 20 ga can do everything a 16 can do. And while I never have trouble finding 16 ga ammo, I'm increasingly uncomfortable slinging plastic wads into the ether and I think it's a long time before biodegradable wads make their way into 16 ga loads, which has me thinking about returning to a 12 or 20 for upland

Id buy a used browning O/U before id spend $2,000 on a 20ga 2x4... But thats just me
I didn’t know Browning offered dimensional lumber. Folks with A5s seem to like them.

I’m thinking better ammo selection and availability.
That's my only thought. But I haven't had any issues with ammo availability ordering online or in person at Scheels.

Selection wise, you're probably right. I've found the shell that works good in my 16 and that's pretty much all I shoot with it. Now if you find yourself out of shells somewhere, yeah good luck strolling into a small town sporting goods store and finding 16 gauge. That's why I bring way more than I'll ever need when I go haha

Id buy a used browning O/U before id spend $2,000 on a 20ga 2x4... But thats just me
I'd love to own a Browning O/U but man those things aren't light compared to a sub 6 pound gun. My dad shoots a Citori, it's pretty light for O/Us are concerned in a 12 gauge, and I'd much rather carry around my 16. I have more shots and easier carry.

I guess I’m not to the point where a pound and a half makes a lot of difference. Most of my walks are less than 2 hours, though, so I’m not tired before I finish and move on to the next spot. Whatever I shoot best is what I carry.

I guess I’m not to the point where a pound and a half makes a lot of difference. Most of my walks are less than 2 hours, though, so I’m not tired before I finish and move on to the next spot. Whatever I shoot best is what I carry.
I'm perfectly capable of carrying a 10 pound gun, difference is I just don't want to haha between all the dog gear, water, shells and random stuff Im lugging enough weight around in my vest that it's nice to have something light to carry with it

Honest question, why not the 16 over the 20? Weight difference is 1 ounce. I have the 16 gauge and love it. I would imagine recoil is negligible between the two gauges and the 16 packs just a bit more punch.
I love my 16 also. Kind of surprised the 20 is only 1 oz. less than the 16. Browning web site says the 20 is built using a smaller-sized frame than that of the 12 gauge. Doesn't compare it to the 16 so my guess they are using the 16 gauge frame. That's what Browning did with the older Auto 5's. Since the 16 came before the 20, the 20's were built on the 16 gauge frame.

Actually before I hit the post button here I looked up some info on the new A5 20 gauge. In an article from Peterson's Hunting here is the quote:

The 20 gauge is built on the same frame as the 16 gauge, as was the original, meaning it can accommodate a thinner stock, producing a more slender, lighter overall look and feel and easy-handling comfort.

Back