Browning 20ga A5

Doves are not considered waterfowl, & I can use my Ithaca deerslayer factory 8 round capacity, with no plug on doves or Phez
Mourning doves are considered migratory birds by the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Quote from U S Fish & Wildlife Service website concerning mourning dove hunting regulations, "You cannot hunt migratory birds with a shotgun that can hold more than three shells." Directive also covers baiting, limits, etc.
Eurasian doves are considered an invasive species and are not regulated (in South Dakota, dont know about other states).

Mourning doves are considered migratory birds by the Fish and Wildlife Service.
Quote from U S Fish & Wildlife Service website concerning mourning dove hunting regulations, "You cannot hunt migratory birds with a shotgun that can hold more than three shells." Directive also covers baiting, limits, etc.
Eurasian doves are considered an invasive species and are not regulated (in South Dakota, dont know about other states).
Woodcock aren't waterfowl either yet you need a plug in your gun as they're a migratory bird

Munster927, sorry, forgot about about Woodcock, but I wouldn't know one if it flew at me and hit me in the forehead!
No sorry needed haha was just saying so others would know. Woodcock are a fun bird to chase if you can hit their migration right.

Sorry to nitpick, but, I do not know where you got your info from. Ohio is wrong! No restriction on upland birds or small game. Deer, turkey, & waterfowl are now limited to 3 shells, but they did not use to be. Doves are not considered waterfowl, & I can use my Ithaca deerslayer factory 8 round capacity, with no plug on doves or Phez

You definitely have to have a plug for Dove hunting.

1707943785565.png

Sorry to nitpick, but, I do not know where you got your info from. Ohio is wrong! No restriction on upland birds or small game. Deer, turkey, & waterfowl are now limited to 3 shells, but they did not use to be. Doves are not considered waterfowl, & I can use my Ithaca deerslayer factory 8 round capacity, with no plug on doves or Phez

Doves are federally regulated to 3 shells in a plugged gun. Dont get caught.

As a A5 man, I have an old one and 3 new ones (duck guns) I will be getting the 20 as soon as I can find one! I hope in a couple years they come out with a 28ga A5 as I have started using an over/under 28ga for upland.

Doves are federally regulated to 3 shells in a plugged gun. Dont get caught.
I have searched & searched the Ohio regs. This years, & last years. It very clearly says that your gun may not be capable of more than three shots for waterfowl, turkey, & deer, but there is no mention of needing a plug for doves or woodcock. Crows are a part of the same treaty, but I see no three shot reg for crows either! I am not saying that those that are in charge of publishing the hunting pamphlet could not have left that reg out, but it does seem strange. I will call Columbus when I get chance. MI does include woodcock on their 3 shot reg.

I have searched & searched the Ohio regs. This years, & last years. It very clearly says that your gun may not be capable of more than three shots for waterfowl, turkey, & deer, but there is no mention of needing a plug for doves or woodcock. Crows are a part of the same treaty, but I see no three shot reg for crows either! I am not saying that those that are in charge of publishing the hunting pamphlet could not have left that reg out, but it does seem strange. I will call Columbus when I get chance. MI does include woodcock on their 3 shot reg.
Page 26 of your hunting regulations. It doesn't explicitly state "for mourning doves" but it's stated within the Waterfowl and Migratory Bird Hunting section, which includes Woodcock and Doves under the purview of the section.

Screenshot_20240326_193813_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

I can honestly say I've never looked into crow hunting nor it's regulations. But from my brief Google search and the Ohio regulation book, I would surmise no plug is needed as it doesn't say it's needed like it does for waterfowl and migratory birds and that electronic calls are not allowed for crows as it doesn't say it's legal to use them in the list of legal hunting equipment.

Screenshot_20240326_211857_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

Crows are considered migratory birds under the same treaty with Canada & Mexico that applies to ducks & geese. That is why we have a season on them now. The Mexican gov. was complaining that a season was needed as numbers were declining

Crows are considered migratory birds under the same treaty with Canada & Mexico that applies to ducks & geese. That is why we have a season on them now. The Mexican gov. was complaining that a season was needed as numbers were declining
You'd probably have to find out should you be interested in hunting them. I have none and know MN requires no license and there's no daily or possession limit. Same cannot be said for ducks, doves or woodcock.

Back