Birds in kansas

Forgot to mention the dust... One shot opportunity was lost because the safety was jammed with dirt.

Cleaning my gun tonight. It looks like I buried it in the powdery dirt and then dug it back up. My truck too. It IS that bad out there. :(

Even though my original plans were trashed due my hunting buddy's car wreck, I did manage to get out. Went with my Dad for a few hours on Saturday morning to a WIHA where I'd heard there were birds.

We showed up at 7:15 to find an empty truck with a dog box. Since it was only an 80 acre tract we moved on to a nearby 1/2 section. On one side we saw a small group of bird hunters. In the middle we saw the truck of a bow hunter (wheels of his game cart were visible above the bed rails and there was no dog box). We hunted the other side and had two pheasants flush wild. The cover was really pretty good.

Anyway, we moved 8-10 miles to another grouping of WIHA tracts and found a covey of quail. This tract was a quarter. The dog a couple of non-productives, so I think there were more birds there, but they gave us the slip. We ended up shooting three quail. There was another guy with a dog on the other end, do know who was there first, but there was room for all of us.

We looked at a couple other spots, but it was time to head home.

Just got back from hunting up there from last Monday-Friday. Saw about 35-55 birds a day, and a field we hit at dusk on Friday had about 25 in a pretty concentrated area. Between 3 of us we shot 10 for the week. I should've had 10-12 by myself but my shooting was off. We got over 15 productive points most days so it was good dog work. There are birds out there, you just have to be willing to drive and be very selective on what fields you hit and when you hit them. Didn't see any quail but never have in NW Kansas. I'd love too. I did find a PC that had been hit by a hawk, couldn't even fly. But other than that just pheasant. My buddy got his first upland bird ever Monday morning, first field, first shot. I'm pretty happy for him and he's excited to get it mounted.

I agree

I agree with you GCBritts. 8 of us hunted this past week (wed-sat) around NW Kansas. We walked A LOT, but got some birds. In 3.5 days we ended up with 26 roosters, 2 quail and a prairie chicken in a pear tree. I have been out every year for 10 years and have found that this year was the toughest. A couple of observations... 1) we saw 75% more roosters than hens. (Scary) 2) We would flush 2 to 3 roosters at a time, not the usual gathering we normally see. 3) The habitat was better in NW Kansas than everywhere else.

If things get better.... how long before they rebound?

I got to Norton just in time to get out for a few hours this evening. My dog was able to get 2 pointed, and we saw 12 on the way back to the hotel....I'm excited for tomorrow.

-John

I think along the same vein of "pockets of birds" there are also some significant dead zones out there. Like the area we walked Saturday morning...

So much for all the "gloom and doom"; in the past years we would drive over 1000 miles to pheasant hunt, this year we realized we were coming out to Kansas to Quail hunt:thumbsup:
We hunted 4 1/2 days and one day we bumped 8 different coveys of quail and they were all between 15 and 25 birds:10sign:
One spot that is always a honey hole, that is no more than 8 acres of thick, did I say thick "trash" I saw for my first time a 12+ pheasant flush unfortunatly 70-80 yards out but it was good for the 4 blockers we had:cheers: That patch produced upwards of 30 birds:D
My 3 year old Britt was on fire this year, he is truly a bird hunting machine. Conditions were terrible with temps around 60 degrees and 20-30 mph winds every day and dry as a bone. It did not stop him pointing the quail but he had a tough time with the pheasants. He did hold a rooster for over 2 minutes while we were working our way to him and then the last evening I had a stellar rooster point; he was locked up like stone pointing at a little tuft of trash in a bottom. I thought it might be a lone quail from the last covey we bumped and a big fat long tail jumped up and well, I flat out missed:eek: I was so taken by the moment I thought the sound of my gun alone would drop him.
One of the highlights of the trip was finally meeting Kansasbrittney and hunting with him, his two boys and 2 dogs. We had a great Saturday and I know we have made a long term friendship:cheers:. I will have to wait for him to post a picture since I forgot to bring a camera.
I will surly write some more posts but after driving 1050 miles yesterday non stop home I am a little bushed this morning.
I just have to say Thank you Kansas and all the great farmers and folks out there for another wonderful hunt!
Wolf

Back