Birds in kansas

whoever said there are no birds in Ks well i believe they are not lookimg hard enough or long enough every field we were in today and yesterday we found birds and plenty of them

That's really good to hear! I am going up there no matter what I read on this forum but it sure is nice to read some good reports, I'm so fired up about my trip I can't freaking stand it!

So feel free to just go ahead and PM me the exact locations you have been seeing birds that be great.

I would sure like to take a nice lesser prairie chicken this season for a mount.

One positive report against 100 negative reports tells me you found an isolated pocket of birds. Enjoy the shooting, if you get tired of it, there are plenty of places where you can leave the gun in the truck and enjoy the walk.

Rut

One positive report against 100 negative reports tells me you found an isolated pocket of birds. Enjoy the shooting, if you get tired of it, there are plenty of places where you can leave the gun in the truck and enjoy the walk.

Rut

Hey rain, stay away from our parade!

Rut

i would have to agree, there are always exceptions out there, but by and large, it sounds like it has been a struggle for most.

Good cover will attract birds, whether there are many or few. The birds are in the vicinity will leave inadequate cover and move to the Hilton at a drop of the hat, leaving questionable cover vacant. We had a surplus of birds, birds which had to use marginal cover. No more. So yes there are pockets. Those will be hotspots all the time because roosters which are harvested are leave their habitat, these are usually the experienced birds, better fighters. will be replaced by younger birds as soon as there is room in the inn. Young might take 30 birds in a arroyo, with tumbleweeds, plum thicket along the edges, and a trickle of water, surrounded by Milo, 20 acres in size. ( I see this in a dream now and then!) They all weren't there day one, that might be all the birds in the section, but there was a line to get in! The birds who can't get premium winter residence will be subject to winter kill. I you hunt these areas once or twice a week they will remain strong. We just need 3 or 4 for each of us.

whoever said there are no birds in Ks well i believe they are not lookimg hard enough or long enough every field we were in today and yesterday we found birds and plenty of them

Meadowlarks don't count :p

I am glad to hear someone is finding a few birds. I have been out 3 days, have found 3 coveys of quail and a few pheasants. Way below nomal.

Good cover will attract birds, whether there are many or few. The birds are in the vicinity will leave inadequate cover and move to the Hilton at a drop of the hat, leaving questionable cover vacant.

That is what I thought before I went out the last 2 days. After the hunting I just finished I do not believe you.

Yesterday, I had to leave Indy at home due to his staples in his cuts, so Ace and I went.

Ace pointed 3 hens in the first spot we hunted, then we didn't see anything in the next several spots.

Then down in some bottom ground next to a thick hedge row Ace went on point. I wanted to take some gopro video of a covey rise so I started putting it on. But a dove flushed out from under the plum thicket. So being an idiot is started to take the gopro off while Ace was still standing, and up comes a nice covey. Well Ace pointed a single for me which I did not get on video, but did at least shot.

Montana_224.jpg

Pulled a 1/2" thorn out of Ace's paw when we got home, that explained why he didn't run well yesterday.

Stayed home today, played golf. Was too warm to hunt and my dogs are pretty banged up. Need them ready for the holidays.

The big question Setternut is how are you going to cook that bird? Savor it however you do it!

Nice photo though!

I heard that actually, from another person they were finding birds in that area.
Shot a couple quail today. Really needed it for my young dog and was very pleased with her performance.

The fields we were in, for the most part, sure looked like the best cover in the area. Yet there was nothing. Literally nothing, Saturday we did not see a bird, not even a hen flush wild.

I know it is not popular to mention where you shot a lot of birds at on this forum ;) but is it kosher to put where you hunted and found nothing?

The fields we were in, for the most part, sure looked like the best cover in the area. Yet there was nothing. Literally nothing, Saturday we did not see a bird, not even a hen flush wild.

I know it is not popular to mention where you shot a lot of birds at on this forum ;) but is it kosher to put where you hunted and found nothing?

I'm just kidding you. I guess there is so much gloom here, why not a direction where nobody should go seems O.K. to me!

Great photo of Ace the setter.

I feel your pain. 3 of us with 3 dogs did not kick up a bird Saturday morning until nearly lunch. We walked what was by far the best habitat in the area, maybe the best looking cover in NW Kansas. Private land too... Just no birds.

Saw some WILD birds daily, and I mean old wise ones. Like "get up at 200 yards or more" birds. But very few and far between.

We had one rooster get up in range on Friday and one on Saturday. 3 guys, 3 dogs, 3 days and we managed to get 2 shot opportunities. Neither one was in front of me.:(

Most alarming statistic. We saw 0 quail.

My friend has been out 4 weekends along the KS/NE border and has shot 2 roosters and found 1 covey of quail (that he decided not to shoot).

I think if I went back to the same area in optimal conditions, I would be thrilled to bag one rooster a day.

Back