Another O/U shotgun thread.

Went out to a sporting goods store today and checked out what they had. They had a citori lightning 12 ga 26 in barrels. It felt good in my hands. No 16ga and no feathers though.

I checked out their selection of 16ga ammo. It was about what I figured. They had 16 ga shells, but not the selection compared to 20 and 12 ga. They averaged a couple dollars mor a box for the 16's.

The availability of shells is the main concern I have about throwing down the money for a 16ga citori. Hate to give that kind of money for a gun and not be able to walk in wal-mart or local sporting goods store and pickup a box of shells.

That being said, I'm still leaning toward the 16.:) To me the ultimate gun would be a 16ga lightning feather with the satin finish stock.
But I guess they don't make that gun.

Last edited:
Ck,
Don't know where your located but as I said before there are more 16's in my safes than anything else and the reality of ammo cost is that if you plan ahead you won't pay any more for 16's than anything else unless your talking a specialty load. Dick's sporting goods and wally world will put on sale the 16 field or game loads several times a year in 5's 6's 7.5 &8's along with their 20's and 12's.
Things like high brass pheasant loads or steel you need to just keep on hand and hit Cabela's or Bass Pro when passing by. I shoot a lot of Vintage 2.5" Parker's, Ithaca's and such and once you locate a vendor source the problem is solved.

Here's a look at some of my Parker 16 favorites and a Westley I really like.
013.jpg

If you go the 16 route I am certain you will never regret it.

Brad

I have a really old remington model 31 16 ga pump. It is the best squirrel gun I've ever shot. So I'm already sold on the 16.

Noticed your pics in the other thread. Guess you live in KY? Me too.

Last edited:
Okay. One more question. Does anyone feel that the lightning feather may be too light?
I'm looking at a 16ga white lightning feather. I think it weighs a little under 6lbs.

Last edited:
You know CK my first reaction to your question was that's a very good point.

And then I reminded myself that the gun I carried for over 20 years as a young person and thought was the best gun on the planet was an 12 gauge Ithaca Featherlight.

My personal opinion is that the lighter the gun the more critical how well balanced the gun is. In the case of the Citori the balance is very nice.
It's a big issue in 16 bore guns that are put on 20 or 12 gauge frames.
Aside from that the ultra light guns will definitely punch you under a heavy load.
Last point is what are you going to mainly do with the gun.I would not want to shoot tons of targets with a real light gun, or take it to South America. However in a Pheasant field or as a game gun it would be great.

Thanks again Brad. I'm planning on grouse, pheasant, and quail hunting with the gun.

Might occasionally shoot some clays with it. Just practice for the field not competition.

I am dealing with a guy right now on a lightning feather and he's wanting an answer. That's why I'm looking for opinions.

By the way I have a model 37 ithaca featherweight 12ga that was my dads.

I think you'll love that lightweight Citori....I'd jump on it.
The hard part now is going to be waiting until next season to hunt with it.
Enjoy your new bird gun!!!

ck2, Browning still makes a run of 16 GA Citori's periodically. I just traded my Lightning Feather for a Gran Lightning. The LF was a great gun, and I used it with success. However, some of the newer HV loads buck pretty good in a 6lb shotgun. The wood is nicer (and oil finished) on the GL, and the weight is right at 7 lbs. With a Maxus 12, Citori 20, and the GL 16 all about 7 lbs, they all carry/swing/shoot uniformly.

ck2, Browning still makes a run of 16 GA Citori's periodically. I just traded my Lightning Feather for a Gran Lightning. The LF was a great gun, and I used it with success. However, some of the newer HV loads buck pretty good in a 6lb shotgun. The wood is nicer (and oil finished) on the GL, and the weight is right at 7 lbs. With a Maxus 12, Citori 20, and the GL 16 all about 7 lbs, they all carry/swing/shoot uniformly.
I have located two guns now. One is a lightning feather 5lbs and change. The other is a white lightning 6lbs 12oz.
The light weight is my only concern. I love a lightweight gun but it could be tough as mentioned with heavier loads.

If it was you guys, all things considered which would you choose?

Last edited:
Never short of an opinion !

I would go with the a 6lb12 gun every-time. Unless I wanted an only to be used in real heavy quail or grouse cover where I needed a 26" ultra quick gun.

Otherwise I think the heavier gun will handle better, take all loads better and still be a light weight ultra versatile field gun.

My 2c

I think it depends on whether you walk a lot and shoot a little (like me and most uplanders) or walk a little and shoot a lot (waterfowlers and trap shooters). Also what kind of shooter are you, I am a snap shooter who shoots maybe 0-6 shots on a given pheasant hunt. I'll take a light gun all day.:thumbsup:

I know what you're saying. If you're not shooting it a light gun is easier to carry:).
Not a lot of birds where I live. I grouse hunt in thick woods, and go to some shooting preserves locally. So on days I grouse hunt it's mostly walking with very little shooting. But if I'm at a preserve it's a day of shooting.

I'm planning on a trip up north to the Wisconsin grouse/woodcock woods. And a trip out west for pheasants in the near future so I'm looking for an all around gun for these purposes.

If I could shoot both of these guns my question would be answered immediately. I just think a 5 1/2 lb 16ga gun with a high powered shell might kill at both ends.

However a light gun is sure nice to carry.:D

I honestly don't think the recoil will be that big of a deal. If a limit of pheasants is 3 birds how many shells are you really going to shoot? 3-9 shells isn't going to hurt you. I'm not to up on 16ga but what is a standard game load for it? 1 1/8 oz at a moderate speed? Don't let ammunition companies fool you you don't need 1 3/8 @ 1500fps to kill a pheasant. I killed 5 wild birds this year with 3/4 oz of 7.5s this year with my 28ga. More shell doesn't meen more birds IMO.

CK I agree with QH in that I don't think the amount you would be shooting a heavy load would be that big a deal. On a good Pheasant day your talking a dozen shots or so and likely with plenty of clothing on.

A fun issue to have !

Gotta go work the new kid for a while.
002-1.jpg

Back