Another O/U shotgun thread.

I like a satin oil finish myself. Much easier to keep looking good. High gloss stuff is tough to keep from getting banged up.

I like a satin oil finish myself. Much easier to keep looking good. High gloss stuff is tough to keep from getting banged up.

Just the opposite here. I love the high gloss and for some reason seem to be able to use them and not get them banged up. Like it so much that when I bought my Weatherby they had an Orion and an Athena at the same auction. Really thought the best would have been to take the wood off the Orion(high gloss) and put it on the Athena(satin finish but with a great looking receiver). That is how much I like the looks of a high gloss, good quality stock.

I will admit though one of my best looking rifle stocks is a satin finish. :D

Oh yeah, nice pictures everyone.

Matt D

Let's keep the comments in a positive manner! I also have a Winchester O/U that has very, very pretty wood but I bought the gun for shooting not for looks, just like onpoint has. Please don't post in a offensive manner! Thanks and remember:
A. Member Attacks. No Personal attacks on other members.

B. Positive Posting Nature. Keep your posts positive and helpful when responding to others.

I appreciate it!

understood

I've done a lot of reading on her about o/u shotguns. I've always used a 48 sportsman 12 ga for my bird hunting. But i've been thinking about an o/u.

My question is are the browning citori's considered a heavy gun? I have looked at the light weight ones too.

I see the upland specials have a straight stock and are only chambered for 2 3/4 shells.

Looking for input on these guns.

Thanks.

I have one of the light Citoris with a straight stock, 2 3/4 chambers, 24" barrels. I shot pretty well with it. Plenty of knock down power on pheasants and turkeys too (with a ported turkey choke). I now have a 625 Citori which has a pistol grip stock and 28" barrels. I like the 625 much better and shoot better with it too. It is heavier, but it's not a problem (I do lift weights in the off season). Also, I am a big dog so the 625 may be a better fit. I hunt wild pheasants on the high plains of western Kansas. I've never used a three inch shell on anything, but I don't hunt waterfowl where they may be needed.

Last edited:
I have been looking at some citori's online. Could anyone give me an idea what a used 2004 20ga field grade citori with 26 inch barrels, screw in chokes, in good condition would be valued at?

ck2, here is a website that might help some: http://www.pooshka.com/
I would also look at gunbroker.com and other sites to see what prices you are seeing.
Personally, I really dig the Citori Superlights, I have one in 20 gauge and one in 12. Fits me nicely, is easy to carry all day, day after day and it doesn't beat you up with recoil (2 3/4" max chambers). I did add a mid bead on the ribs of both and that really helps me out; proven on clays and birds.

I don't understand all the differences in the citori models. Lightning, white lightning, super lightning, etc.

I'm a bit surprised the recent runs of Citori 16's have not sparked more comments here.
First let me confess I am a 16 A-holic. Handling and ballistics I just think they darn near gods gift to the shot-gunner.

Regarding ammo availability it's not what most think. Even most wally worlds stock a few basic loads. Their at almost all sporting goods stores and the cost is in line with 12 and 20's.

I love a 16ga. But from what I've noticed there isn't nearly as many of them out there for sale. And the price goes up compared to a 12 or 20.

Would love to find a good deal on one though.

No doubt there are not as many as the other gauges but they are out there.
Maybe that's the hook. You do have to look just a bit harder and the ammo is a bit more scarce but the payoff is so worth it.

I've been looking around and it seems the cost range runs from $1250.00 to about $1700.00.

I'm a bit surprised the recent runs of Citori 16's have not sparked more comments here.
First let me confess I am a 16 A-holic. Handling and ballistics I just think they darn near gods gift to the shot-gunner.

Regarding ammo availability it's not what most think. Even most wally worlds stock a few basic loads. Their at almost all sporting goods stores and the cost is in line with 12 and 20's.

I love my 16 ga. Citori White Lightning with 26" barrels. Great balance and the weight is about the same as a 20 ga. Over a lb. lighter than the 12 ga. The past two seasons I've probably shot over 75% of my pheasants with the 16.

I love my 16 ga. Citori White Lightning with 26" barrels. Great balance and the weight is about the same as a 20 ga. Over a lb. lighter than the 12 ga. The past two seasons I've probably shot over 75% of my pheasants with the 16.

I really like that gun. Do they make the same gun that has just a blued receiver?
Just wondered if so how much price difference there was.

Ck,
The pick of the litter in the line has to be the Gran Lightning.
Upgraded wood and a simple classic blued receiver.

Sets you back about $$2400.00 new,

Boy I gotta say that for $1300.00 for the lightning model it's hard to justify another grand for the Gran model. My understanding is the only difference in the two is the wood and I have seen a couple of Gran's that I thought the wood was certainly better but not a $1000.00 better.
Some have had great wood figure.

I really like the metal finish receiver, just thought the blued receiver might save me some money.

The lightning feather in this gun is 1 lb lighter. I think I would like that.

Is there a lightning feather with a blued receiver?

I really like the metal finish receiver, just thought the blued receiver might save me some money.

The lightning feather in this gun is 1 lb lighter. I think I would like that.

Is there a lightning feather with a blued receiver?

Not much savings if any with the blued receiver. I personally prefer the looks of the silver receiver and it doesn't show bluing wear. Here's a White Lightning on gun Broker for $1,369 "buy it now". Excellent buy.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=217872677

I'm with you on the silver receiver! For under a hundred more I'm thinking I might want a feather also.

Last edited:
I have several O/U and SxS shotguns but I find myself using the Citori Feather in 12 gauge for most all of my upland bird hunting.
It is the perfect bird gun for me....like the fast handling, the english stock and light weight.
It weighs about 6.5 pounds...not bad to carry, especially for an O/U.
Use the improved over skeet chokes all season long....it's deadly on birds!
Don't think you could go wrong with this shotgun.

Back