Another O/U shotgun thread.

ck 2

I've done a lot of reading on her about o/u shotguns. I've always used a 48 sportsman 12 ga for my bird hunting. But i've been thinking about an o/u.

My question is are the browning citori's considered a heavy gun? I have looked at the light weight ones too.

I see the upland specials have a straight stock and are only chambered for 2 3/4 shells.

Looking for input on these guns.

Thanks.

I wouldn't think any heavier then your 48 Sportsman. I would say in 12ga 28" field model in the neighborhood of 7.5 to 8.5 lbs. There are lighter versions of the Citori and the newer Cynergy in the Browning line. They can be as low as near 5lbs in the Cynergy feather in 20ga to 6.5 lbs in 12ga.

Very good guns that will last the average person a life time or more of good service.

I have had many and own a Cynergy, Citori and Superposed Browning O/U all in 20ga(Cynergy Feather in 20/28/410). I love them all and have zero problems with any Browning O/U I have owned.

Thanks. My sportsman is not too heavy. I don't know what it weighs. Would like something of similar weight or lighter.

I have never been out west pheasant hunting but plan on going. Also want to take a trip to wisconsin grouse/woodcock. I figure 12 ga is most common and easiest shells to find. I'm thinking 26 inch barrels.

What about steel shot and 3 inch chambering?

The steel shot reference was because I had read where some public hunting areas require it.
As for the 3 inch question just wondered if some guys use them on pheasants. I never have, but the only pheasants I've ever killed were on a preserve or released pheasants.

I realize I need to put my hands on these guns and get a feel for them. just looking for input and advice from people who have or have owned these guns.

I would like to feel a citori upland and see if I like the straight stock.

Thanks again to everyone, keep the info coming.

I have been looking online at the superlight feather, and the upland special. They seem like similar guns to me the upland being less$$$$.

The superlight is a good looking gun what is the difference in the invector options on these guns?

20 gauge

Since you already have the 48 in 12 ga., why buy another general purpose gun. Get a nice light 20 ga. OU that fits you well and is a joy to carry. I'll bet you will use it for most of your bird hunting. All the new ones will handle non-tox ammo. I have an older Citori Upland in 20 ga and it is my main grouse gun. As already mentioned, fit it the most important thing. Cause.........a gun you can hit with is priceless!

Lock and Load! :D

I have thought about a 20 ga. I have an old 16 ga 31 remington that I squirrel hunt with and love it. I really like a 16 ga but shell availability is an issue sometimes. I also have an old 20 ga 37 winchester that was my first gun.

I was leaning toward the 12 ga due to seems to be more available, more shot, shells are everywhere, and I just wasn't sure about a 20 for pheasants?

Just throwing out my thoughts here and using you guys as a sounding board.

So lets hear it.

Lots of stocks and types of pistol grips.

This is my Superposed 20ga stock/pistol grip. It fits me personally very well. I like a pronounced pistol grip. It fits my hand/wrist better

Picture008.jpg

My Cynergy Feather again has a very pronounced pistol grip. I like it very much

cynergy-2.jpg

same with my Syn stocked Cynergy. a good pronounced pistol grip. Very comfortable, even with 3.5' waterfowl loads

sd0816.jpg

My straight English stocked Citori 20ga is very nice to carry but my wrist just doesn't bend to fit the gun when shouldered. again great for carrying but not comfortable to shoot.

citori.jpg

My Weatherby Athena has what i would consider a Prince of whales pistol grip. Not pronounced enough for my liking but still more comfortable then the straight gripped Citori.

sd0817.jpg

Be sure to get what fits you the best. Not just what looks good. I wouldn't be afraid of a 20ga. The shot is going just as fast out of the 20ga as the 12ga. Sometimes they are even shooting the same amount of shot, except for the heavy magnum loads of the 12ga. I like the 20ga. I have 6 of them. They are much lighter to carry and swing a bit more lively for me. That is just my taste. You do what's best for your type of hunting.

Onpoint

Man! Now you're just showing off!!!

Just kidding. That's some very nice guns!:coolpics:

I really appreciate all of this info and opinions. I need to go somewhere and put my hands on a few of these. But the more you guys tell me the more I know to look for when I get there.:thumbsup:

Just trying to show you all the types of pistol grips. I have spent a lot of years trading, buying and selling guns to get those guns. It's all in whats important to you. I live in a very modest type of life style that many/most of you wouldn't be willing to do. No fancy place. I chose land, cattle, horses, hunting dogs and lots of time to hunt and fish over the big trophy home and $50,000 walleye boat. A mobile home in the sticks a 100 miles from the Canadian boarder. It's not much but it's the way I like it.

I'm with you. I'd rather enjoy my life and have the things that matter to me and my family and be happy. Than try to be something I'm not and in debt up to my eyeballs.

I like the Citori Superlight, aka Upland, for pheasants. The english stock is great to carry and I shoot it well. It weighs in just under 7lbs, about a full pound less than a standard Citori. Mine has the standard invector choke tubes, but I use Carelson tubes in the field.

you can get all caught up in pretty wood- doesn't make a good gun-
plus- how do you take something that has so sweet of wood in the woods- you don't

fit when you bring it to your shoulder is by far way more important than pretty wood- showoff wood is fine-
like has been shown

pistol grip doesn't mean a thing- it's how your gun swings up and you grip that does

I have a Citori Upland Special- it's light and kicked like a mule- I had to have a recoil pad installed

keith- the Upland Special aka Super Light- not the same gun

Last edited:
I'm not real concerned about beautiful wood. I plan on hunting with it and it will get scratched.

I want it to fit and feel good when I shoulder and shoot it. But I don't want a low quality gun either.

plus- how do you take something that has so sweet of wood in the woods- you don't

fit when you bring it to your shoulder is by far way more important than pretty wood- showoff wood is fine-
like has been shown

pistol grip doesn't mean a thing- it's how your gun swings up and you grip that does

I have a Citori Upland Special- it's light and kicked like a mule- I had to have a recoil pad installed

Sorry but that post sounds like sour apples to me. If you want to shoot a gun with pallet wood for a stock. That's your business but don't knock others for wanting high grade good walnut. I take pride in carrying a nice gun. Also the grip on the gun means plenty on how the gun mounts.

Show off wood, what the hell kind of comment was that?

pallet wood- cracks me up- yep- you're one of those who values the grain of wood over the quality every time- pitty you- junk- the wood just doesn't have that $1,000.00 look to it- and oh my- a scratch- hide the gun

glad you feel my Upland Special, Browning Gold Medalion, Beretta AL2 are poor guns- because they don't have the finest piece of Walnut in the world

like has been shown

Let's keep the comments in a positive manner! I also have a Winchester O/U that has very, very pretty wood but I bought the gun for shooting not for looks, just like onpoint has. Please don't post in a offensive manner! Thanks and remember:
A. Member Attacks. No Personal attacks on other members.

B. Positive Posting Nature. Keep your posts positive and helpful when responding to others.

I appreciate it!

I certainly didn't mean to put anyones guns down. I love the beautiful wood and gloss finishes. But I just can't keep from scratching and denting them.

I've seen guys that could do it but I can't. Guess I'm just clumsy.

A real fine bird gun you have there Peterson. A functional work of beauty

Shadow, I have plenty of pictures to prove my guns see plenty of time in the field. Just because it has nice wood doesn't mean it sits in the gun safe collecting dust. Plenty of people have far nicer guns then mine. Maybe someday I can keep upgrading myself. Guns with good quality usually are accompanied with a good grade of wood. Just check out the high priced German or Italian O/U's.

Also, I never said your guns were of poor quality. I didn't even know what gun you had. You said wood had no barring on a quality gun and gave reference to mine I believe.

Be happy with whatever gun you have. We were discussing proper fit and weight of guns and which gauge would work for different types of hunting.

Onpoint

Back