16 gauge; It really is a illness

That's more of a "It'll have to do" thing. And if it's something other than a 16 gauge, it may work fine. But to truly have the best, you'd have a 16 gauge. And a springer. :rolleyes:

For me it's a 16 and a Brittany! :) Oh, and just a warning to all you non-16 ga. folks. Once you go 16, you will never go back! :D

Yes I shoot a 16 gauge Model 12 Winchester. I have a couple 12 gauges and a 20 that I use as loners but I use a 16.

I figured I'd get another Golden Retriever at some point, and I'll definitely use the 16, although not all the time. I used to hunt with a Savage 726 auto loader, a Browning licensed copy of the Auto-5. It was my first 16ga and it helped me kill a lot of roosters but I never cared for all the clanking after every shot. I sold that to buy a deer rifle when I moved to Nebraska. Now I'm looking forward to using purple shells again. No Poly choke this time though.

I just bought a Sweet Sixteen with a poly choke. Not my preference but price was right. Its just a sign of the times. They were quite popular on the old guns. They are quite functional, I hear. Though pretty, they are not.

I just bought a Sweet Sixteen with a poly choke. Not my preference but price was right. Its just a sign of the times. They were quite popular on the old guns. They are quite functional, I hear. Though pretty, they are not.

I don't have a problem with them. I have my dad's Polychoked 12ga Ithaca. I never saw him miss a bird using that thing, pheasant, duck or goose. I think they're kind of nice looking in a way. I also have a Sears model 20 that has an adjustable choke. That gun has a vent rib so the choke doesn't stand out as much.
I kind of wonder if the choke sitting out there helps with aiming. Not that you aim with a shotgun but it'd be easier to have the barrel in your peripheral vision when you pull up on a bird.

A question for you 16ga experts...

In 2019 I plan on buying a 16ga. Budget is 1000-1500 bucks (I have to put myself on a budget, or else I'd be broke). Prefer a double gun. Have no problem with used.

I LOVE my Beretta 686 12ga FWIW. My only other gun is my SX3 duck gun, which I also love. I've shouldered a beretta in 28ga which was too whippy, and a CZ 20ga, which was too whippy. The only 16ga I shouldered was the new sweet 16, which felt nice.

Any thoughts on brands that I could be looking out for to meet my price range? A lot of 16ga double manufacturers are companies I know nothing about.

A lot of Simson and Sauer guns in the $1000-$1500 range.

FAIR Rizzini has a new one called the IsideThe base version is around $1500

Dickinson, made in Turkey, but gets good reviews. My dad has one that he referenced above, it’s a solid shotgun.

I watched the online auctions for 3 years to get a feel for the market before buying mine.

Last edited:

Dickinson, made in Turkey, but gets good reviews. My dad has one that he referenced above, it’s a solid shotgun.

I watched the online auctions for 3 years to get a feel for the market before buying mine.

I've been watching armslist for the last couple months trying to get a feel. Thanks for the input.

My first gun was a Browning Gold, which I loved. I've thought lots about getting another browning (even thought the SX3 is basically a Browning). Thanks.

I picked up a Rizzini BR110 in 12ga earlier this and I love it. The FAIR Rizzini is a different maker but there is a relationship between the two companies and their stuff seems to be good quality. The Iside would be my pick if I wanted a SxS.

Back