16 gauge; It really is a illness

Look for a used Browning Citori. They have made a 16 ga. in several models of the Citori. I've had a White Lightning for over 10 years and love it.
mutthunt... I second this recommendation. I lucked into my 1980 field grade Citori in 16 for $750.00. It was cut down and had a morgan pad on it and is well used but it is a great gun. That Franchi looks like a winner too. My son has a Franchi semi auto in 12 for ducks and it's a performer.
Good luck.

I have both old and new. Have a Citori Gran Lightning with outstanding wood that I love and a new Browing A5 Sweet Sixteen that I think is going to be a dream to carry at 5lbs, 13 oz. Also have a older Sweet Sixteen, a couple older SxS's and a Model 12. Some I like and use better than others but use them all.

Exactly what this thread is all about. The addiction. It is a slippery slope and there is no cure.

I’ve had another relapse. Just closed the deal on a Hunter Arms Hunter Special 26 inch barrels double trigger choked IC/Mod. Can’t wait to try it out.

I was thinking about a 16 this year, but the Browning's don't fit me well. Reeds prices were the best I saw in researching with an extra 100 off through October.

Well, I didn't walk away with a gun. I knew I didn't budget for a gun this year, and in the end I had to honor that.

But! Reeds was awesome. So many guns are on display, and I don't mean on the wall behind the counter. I was able to shoulder more than a dozen guns without hassling a clerk.

The takeaway: my next gun will be the A5 Sweet Sixteen. Even compared to my current shotguns, this was the most natural feeling gun to raise. No fighting it at all. It really was a revelation.

The citori was nice, like really nice. But it didn't quite shoulder right, and I like the fit of my 686 12ga better.

The Franchi was a let down. For the price, I expected a bit more. The wood was very plain. I'm sure it is a trusty gun, but for that price it needed to wow me. (My 686 Essential is a plain Jane, but for $800 I'm totally OK with that.)

So, I'm budgeting for a Browning in the 2019 finances. That's really only a couple months away!

Well, I didn't walk away with a gun. I knew I didn't budget for a gun this year, and in the end I had to honor that.

But! Reeds was awesome. So many guns are on display, and I don't mean on the wall behind the counter. I was able to shoulder more than a dozen guns without hassling a clerk.

The takeaway: my next gun will be the A5 Sweet Sixteen. Even compared to my current shotguns, this was the most natural feeling gun to raise. No fighting it at all. It really was a revelation.

The citori was nice, like really nice. But it didn't quite shoulder right, and I like the fit of my 686 12ga better.

The Franchi was a let down. For the price, I expected a bit more. The wood was very plain. I'm sure it is a trusty gun, but for that price it needed to wow me. (My 686 Essential is a plain Jane, but for $800 I'm totally OK with that.)

So, I'm budgeting for a Browning in the 2019 finances. That's really only a couple months away!

Good luck and congrats on your restraint. A significant accomplishment.
:)

Pretty sure that you'll be real happy with your decision to get a new Sweet 16 next year. I got mine last Fall, 26" barrel, and I couldn't be happier. Fits me just about perfect, and is a joy to carry around all day being so light. A lot of folks complain about the large pistol grip, but I have big hands and it feels just right to me.
I got mine at the Cabela's in Mitchell, and the first one they brought out had very plain wood. So I asked the guy to bring out another, and the next one had beautiful figuring in both the stock and forearm.
Being a modern/updated version of a classic didn't bother me the way it does some guys. I've always shot Remingtons, 870's and 1100's. So it doesn't bother me that the new one isn't a "real" sweet 16. To me it's just an incredibly light 16 gauge auto that looks great and fits me.

Back