Browning 20ga A5

You didn’t understand my post. Read it again.

I read it 5 times trying to see what your point is, your right it was confusing AF. Thought you were maybe trying to be sarcastic or if you just don't have a clue about shotgun ballistics or maybe your lightyears more advanced then the rest of us. Couldn't tell.

I read it 5 times trying to see what your point is, your right it was confusing AF. Thought you were maybe trying to be sarcastic or if you just don't have a clue about shotgun ballistics or maybe your lightyears more advanced then the rest of us. Couldn't tell.
It’s pretty simple really. I said to take 3” mags out of the equation and you missed that completely. I’m not even going to try to help you understand, when we’re talking patterns and you confuse that with penetration. 🤦‍♂️

Assuming 3 shells in the gun the weight difference between 20 ga with 1 oz loads and a 16 ga with 1 1/8 oz loads has to be very minor. Maybe an ounce or two.
I load 5 and bet most every hunter does to. Plus the shells in your vest. Bet you it is more than an ounce or two. The shells in the vest is why I like to carry a 20 over a 12 gauge, not just the gun.

I load 5 and bet most every hunter does to. Plus the shells in your vest. Bet you it is more than an ounce or two. The shells in the vest is why I like to carry a 20 over a 12 gauge, not just the gun.
I load three. Keep three extra in my pocket, cause I miss sometimes.

Assuming 3 shells in the gun the weight difference between 20 ga with 1 oz loads and a 16 ga with 1 1/8 oz loads has to be very minor. Maybe an ounce or two.

Wasnt a serious statement was it? 3 shells at +1/8oz might be an ounce or two? Its 3/8oz...

The weight of the extra hull size is not even worth mentioning.. maybe 1/4oz in plastic across all 3 shells, if that.

A lot of states require plugs when hunting everything. And almost everyone who hunts waterfowl as well will leave the plug in. Then of course theres the guns that dont even hold 5.. Ive never personally put 5 shells in a gun.
Well the gun holds 5 shells and this is a pheasant hunting forum. And almost everyone who hunts waterfowl generally will have a different gun to hunt upland with. And if they don't, they probably do take out the plug when going to the uplands. Most waterfowl hunters are shooting a 12 gauge and I would imagine most of the people buying a walnut 20 gauge at 5 lb 11 ounces is hunting upland. Would you please list the states that require plugs for everything? Probably a few but not a lot.

Last edited:
I never take the plugs out of my guns. Everywhere I hunt, the limit is three pheasants. No need to keep blasting.

Oh, so when you say “most” hunters, you’re not talking pheasant hunters specifically. Got ya.
Upland hunters, its an upland gun. Pheasant, quail, grouse, etc. That is the people who will be carrying this gun. With 5 in the gun and 20 in the vest, 7.5 ounces according to my grain scale 20 vs 12. So about a 1/2 pound. Didn't have 16 gauge to weigh.

Upland hunters, its an upland gun. Pheasant, quail, grouse, etc. That is the people who will be carrying this gun. With 5 in the gun and 20 in the vest, 7.5 ounces according to my grain scale 20 vs 12. So about a 1/2 pound. Didn't have 16 gauge to weigh.
My quail gun holds two.

Well the gun holds 5 shells and this is a pheasant hunting forum. And almost everyone who hunts waterfowl generally will have a different gun to hunt upland with. And if they don't, they probably do take out the plug when going to the uplands. Most waterfowl hunters are shooting a 12 gauge and I would imagine most of the people buying a walnut 20 gauge at 5 lb 11 ounces is hunting upland. Would you please list the states that require plugs for everything? Probably a few but not a lot.

Every pheasant hunter I know besides one uses his "main" gun for both ducks and pheasants if they hunt both.. and surprisingly three guys have new A5 2x4s... Every single one leaves plug in. I do not know any waterfowl hunter that takes a plug out for anything, thats how you forget and get a $150 ticket.

Only once ever seen someone bird hunting without a plug, a guy unloaded 5 shells in front of the warden while dove hunting 😂

Screenshot_20240127_130259_Chrome.jpg

Every pheasant hunter I know besides one uses his "main" gun for both ducks and pheasants if they hunt both.. and surprisingly three guys have new A5 2x4s... Every single one leaves plug in. I do not know any waterfowl hunter that takes a plug out for anything, thats how you forget and get a $150 ticket.

Only once ever seen someone bird hunting without a plug, a guy unloaded 5 shells in front of the warden while dove hunting 😂

View attachment 7429
Your list contains many states that allow 5 shots for upland game. Just list the one that limit to 3 for all species.

Wasnt a serious statement was it? 3 shells at +1/8oz might be an ounce or two? Its 3/8oz...

The weight of the extra hull size is not even worth mentioning.. maybe 1/4oz in plastic across all 3 shells, if that.
I agree. My point was that the weight difference between 3 20 ga shells and 3 16 ga shells is very minimal.

Back