Early Sunday Morning

I went back there in a friends 2WD dually and the biggest Lance Camper they make. We had to give up one days hunting in areas we wanted to see after a rain to let the roads dry enough not to tear up. Drank beer and told lies. We couldn't go where I can go in my 1/2 ton 4WD but we had fun and saw new country. Just have an easy attitude and you'll enjoy the trip.
One thing in addition to Alberta Clippers ruining your day is that it can get very cold so be prepared for anything that can freeze on your rig. I'd bring a bowl of food and water to my dog in the morning and by the time she ate 1 cup of kibble the water in her bowl was frozen. The guys that hunt there a lot are some pretty tough individuals so because they may stay before a storm may not mean its a good idea. We camped next to two guys from Minnesota who stayed in a pop up tent. It snowed one night and collapsed the tent. They slept in it like that for two days until it finally bothered them enough to fix.
The long range weather for the area doesn't look to be real cold. In Fact, it may be too warm to freeze at night. But that's long range so it will change.

I just got back from east MT, hunted 2 weeks. I got stuck with my 2 wheel drive posi trac ford pickup about 75 feet off the gravel road one day. It was wet out there this year. My cell phone worked thankfully but trying to explain to the auto club where I was took a while. They just don't seem to get making a right after the old tractor go about a mile where the fence is down and the feeder is and make a left. They want road names and the closest shopping center. They got a tow company at last and the driver was local and knew where I was and I got pulled out for free. I did not have any other trouble and I should not have pulled that far off the road.

All said it was a good trip bird numbers were good, weather was great nice and cool. Hunting locations were plentiful. Camper was good and new satilite tv was good. I was still roughing it though as I had no DVR and had to watch my tv with comericals like in the stone age.

I wish I could have stayed longer.
mmmm

When you camp with your camper do you just pull off the road on some BLM or do you go to a camp ground?

Camp grounds don't work for me with 5 dogs

Both, I have had as many as 4 dogs and in MT I let them know upfront and they were always ok with it. I stay at small campgrounds with little or no amenities at this time of year they were happy to get the business.

I took 4 dogs to Florida to run in trials and I was asked to leave the campground after a day even though they had told me on the phone they don't mind the dogs.

mmmm

I am planning to go to Montana for the first time to hunt pheasants this year and have a question. My van camper is a 2 wheel drive with good mud tires and a limited slip rear end.

Is this adequate for hunting in Montana I know better than to go down a wet muddy road. Just wondering if there is access off gravel roads...heck I am wondering if the roads are gravel LOL.

Eastern Montana is a close as I have narrowed it down, hunting walk in and BMA type land.

Bobman, All these responses are good. You will be OK with that rig, lots of places you won't be able to get to and shouldn't try. The main roads (only a couple) are paved. Those North East County's have been good about gravel on the county roads. Bakken Oil is there and they gravel lots of roads.

Main thing, keep up on the weather forecasts, Winter storm warning, go to town. Both Plentywood and Culbertson have nice rest areas on the pavement.
I'm from Northern MN and the worst blizzards I've been in have been in WY and MT. IN OCT!!:eek:

As far as camping, I do the remote typw stuff. I like the peace and quiet of the back country.

PM me on the area you plan to be, I can help.

Checking the weather forecast for E Montana, 80's a 90 and sunny the next few days.
The gumbo will dry up except for those potholes and low areas. :)

I have some REALLY nice pics.
What the heck is wrong with Photo Bucket? Shyttt!! :mad:

Just back to Arkansas from Eastern MT.

Love that place:10sign: was cold for three days and the rest were bloody hot. The bird hunting was off the hook!:cheers:

Can't wait until next year:eek::thumbsup:

I get a pretty small picture of Woody, Star and what I take to be a limit of Sharptails. It would be more enjoyable if it was bigger. I know. That's what she said.

Another test.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAAAEA/hPWPuIJoM-o/w783-h587-no/DSCN1497.JPG

DSCN1497.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep a limit of young Sharptails.
Young ones are excellent campmeat. :)
This was day one, with all the young birds I passed on all mature Sharptails.

Cal that is "the creek" it is flowing nice and clear though. That is my camp. :cheers:

Much better. They look justifiably pretty proud of themselves. The creek looks bigger in the aerial but who knows what time of year they flew it other than not in winter. I'm starting to get excited.

Cal, I was there, at "the creek" Spring 2011, It was flooded into the fields above both sides. More like a lake then a creek.
This year Aug in that part of the state it had been very dry, go figure.
Still the creek is flowing, dang good place to clean birds.

Maybe it is hard to tell:confused:
I'm a bit fired up. :thumbsup:

This is Sharptail Country, best there is.
Native grass, some weeds and Sweet Clover. Wheat stubble on the benches.
Cattle are turned in after harvest.
And oh yeah! A, 5 mile walk, pups pointed, flushed at least 100 pheasants.
NO BS,
Not mowed, not sprayed and certainly NOT burned. Not maintained, go figure. :confused: Just LOTS of birds. :cheers:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-.../RI8o4-eOIoQ/w783-h587-no/DSCN1510+-+Copy.JPG

DSCN1510%2B-%2BCopy.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am headed to Eastern Montana on Saturday for a week of hunting.
My buddy has a couple of young bird dogs that we hope to put in some young sharptail. I am hoping to put my more experienced dogs in some Huns.

Can't wait. Hope we see some country like that :thumbsup:

Back