Youth Shotgun Question

Certainly on the more expensive side, but, I bought my 10 year old a 16 gauge Browning Citori super featherweight over/under with a 26 inch barrel. Very light at 5.75 pounds, and with some of the lighter 16 gauge loads, it doesn't kick too bad. He's now 13 and it's his go-to gun for upland and doves, and he handles it well for moderate treks in the field. He's just now using a hand me down 12 gauge auto in the duck blind, and he seems to now be big enough to move beyond the light 16 for a waterfowl gun.

BTW, dad likes it for a field gun as well, :) So, just my $0.02 that I've been happy with that purchase and the idea that it will continue to be a go-to gun for he and I for years to come.

I vote for the 28 gauge weatherby or tristar. They are only 5 pounds and gas operated. That is all I personally shoot now...I reload a hot 1 ounce load for pheasant and you can get the TSS shot and reload for turkeys. My 8 year old can shoot it now but the stock is a little too long. It should be perfect for him next year.

Thanks again for all the information guys. Got a couple different options I'm looking at right now. Plan on taking him and having him shoulder some different guns to see which one "feels good" to him. I'll let you guys know what we decide on. Thanks and be safe this weekend.

Careful, if you buy him a 28ga and shoot it yourself you might never turn back!!
Happened to me 3 years ago. Great gauge!
Cheers,
Wolf

It's already been said, but you can't go wrong with a youth Remington 870. My dad got me one when I was 12. Has the 21" barrel and is an awesome little gun for dove/quail, and I've killed my share of pheasants with it. When I was 14 dad got me a full size stock for it. 23 years later and I still use it, but hopefully in about 6-7 years I'll hand it off to my son.

Back